Didgeridoo

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Didgeridoo

Post by Rhuvein »

So, since 2005 when the boys released the PH ~ I have mostly included this equipment item (along with the walrus) on my character sheet!!

Why? Because it's cool and the Trolls are awesome to put things like this on the equipment/transport tables!!

So, back in '05 when Rigon and I played in a PBP game, I asked the CK what damage would this instrument do if I smashed into the bad guy's knee. 1D4 says he.

Well, this DD seems to me would do (diggery do) 1D6!

Thoughts?

A princely DD, yes!

[The Croc Dundee movies uses this sound, IIRC!]

Game on!
Attachments
diggery do.jpg
diggery do.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Obadiah
Mist Elf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Diggery do

Post by Obadiah »

OK so as a resident Aussie, let me first make a correction - the spell in the book is wrong....it writes it as a diggery-do. It is actually a didgeridoo - or in slang, a didge.

Now that we have that out of the way....

I just started a campaign with 5 new players. One is a halfling bard with a didge and bagpipes, his stage name - Pipes.

Onto your question, it might do D6 damage, but it would possibly break after a few hits, just being a hollowed piece of wood.
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Diggery do

Post by Rhuvein »

Obadiah wrote:OK so as a resident Aussie, let me first make a correction - the spell in the book is wrong....it writes it as a diggery-do. It is actually a didgeridoo - or in slang, a didge.

Now that we have that out of the way....

I just started a campaign with 5 new players. One is a halfling bard with a didge and bagpipes, his stage name - Pipes.

Onto your question, it might do D6 damage, but it would possibly break after a few hits, just being a hollowed piece of wood.
Haha, thanks for your reply, "mate"!

I believe many of us noted the mis-spelling of the doo. I'm pretty sure I sent a note to the boys ways back then or mebbe not.

Like "Pipes", hehe - all bards should master and carry the doo (OK, the didge as you say)!

I had thought the wood of the didge is hard, but perhaps with the very complete hollowing out - it would be subject to break after some hits.

Best,

Rhu. 8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Obadiah
Mist Elf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Diggery do

Post by Obadiah »

It is pretty hard, but my gut tells me if I hit something hard with it, after a few blows it would crack because of it being hollow. Maybe I need to find some people in armour and try belting them with it.... :)
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...

User avatar
Penny-Whistle
Ulthal
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 am

Re: Diggery do

Post by Penny-Whistle »

There is a danger that it could crack but I'd say it is equivalent to a club 1d6+1

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Diggery do

Post by Rhuvein »

Penny-Whistle wrote:There is a danger that it could crack but I'd say it is equivalent to a club 1d6+1
Yep, we'll see how Rigon wishes to assign the damage.

The didge is my Outlander musical instrument.

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Obadiah
Mist Elf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Obadiah »

My group were debating this last night....all Aussies. They all felt it is a d6 and if hitting something really hard (plate armour, stone, etc) then it should have a chance of breaking.
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Rhuvein »

Obadiah wrote:My group were debating this last night....all Aussies. They all felt it is a d6 and if hitting something really hard (plate armour, stone, etc) then it should have a chance of breaking.
Excellent.

Did you discuss how breakage might occur, i.e. rolling a 1? I use some breakage house rules on many weapons ~ two critical misses is automatic weapon destruction or heavy damage depending on said weapon.

I suppose percentage die rolls would work well or some other poly die roll.

Hmm, the CKG has some info on weapon and gear wear and destruction (equipment wastage, methinks). I'll have to check it out and re-read.

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3723
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Go0gleplex »

Time to break out the fish glue and abelone shells to reinforce your dig-club. lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Rhuvein »

Go0gleplex wrote:Time to break out the fish glue and abelone shells to reinforce your dig-club. lol
Hmmm, leme think on that.

Each hit might do some additional 1D2 from shell/shards breaking off and hitting the opponent.

On a destruction/wastage hit and weapon destroyed (crit), ancillary shell/shard damage to enemy at 1d3 or so!

Thoughts?
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: North Coast

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Captain_K »

It appears to be bamboo type material? Just get a druid to magic it.. ironwood should do the trick!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

User avatar
Obadiah
Mist Elf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Obadiah »

It's eucalypt wood. It can be quite hard, but with it being hollow the fear was it being a bit fragile, but as you say....nothing a Druid can't fix. :lol:
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Rhuvein »

Hmmm . . . I'm also thinking that a bard should get a +1 to hit and a +1 on damage for successful strikes due to their expertise using musical instruments as weapons! :lol:
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: North Coast

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Captain_K »

You need a weapon instrument, one that is played in combat. A quaterstaff that whistles as it is used (old kung fu movie) or magic short sticks (thin clubs) to play a beat off your opponents's bodies and armor...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

User avatar
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: North Coast

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Captain_K »

You need a weapon instrument, one that is played in combat. A quaterstaff that whistles as it is used (old kung fu movie) or magic short sticks (thin clubs) to play a beat off your opponents's bodies and armor...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Talyn
Skobbit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Diggery do

Post by Talyn »

Obadiah wrote:OK so as a resident Aussie, let me first make a correction - the spell in the book is wrong....it writes it as a diggery-do. It is actually a didgeridoo.
Just for reference, I did correct the spelling in Adventurers Backpack. Also the Fantasy Grounds edition of the 7th printing Players Handbook.
If TLG contracts me to edit 8th printing PHB I'll correct it (and many other things) there as well.

Post Reply