View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:06 am



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Adventurer's Backpack. 
Author Message
Ungern
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 74
Post Adventurer's Backpack.
I downloaded a copy of this today.

The comparison to Unearthed Arcana is very strong. I did like how they added back spellcasting for Paladins/Rangers/Bards like 1E at an extra XP cost. The new classes are unusual with a few having powers that may be extremely overpowered...for example the magic user who can add bonuses to dice rolls. Many of the other classes seem to have various combat bonuses...the skeptic in me sees this as potential power bloat similar to the 1E's UA and weapon specialization rules.

There's a thief that is virtually like a rogue but with an extra escape skill, similar xp chart.

I need more time to digest it. I will certainly use the modifications that bring back the old 1E flavour but I'm not sure about the new stuff yet.


Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:49 am
Profile
Mist Elf
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm
Posts: 27
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Great to get some insight into this product. Thank you.

_________________
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...


Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Posts: 3684
Location: Keizer, OR
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Not to mention the expanded equipment list and a small section on the planes and how they relate to Aihrde. Got my hard copy in the mail yesterday.

_________________
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."


Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:14 pm
Profile
Clang lives!
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 7116
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
I'm debating on whether or not I should get this right now or wait for a sale. $20 for a PDF is a bit high. And from the things I've heard about it, it doesn't seem like something that I would get that much use out of.

R-

_________________
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads


Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm
Profile
Ulthal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:23 am
Posts: 661
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Rigon wrote:
I'm debating on whether or not I should get this right now or wait for a sale. $20 for a PDF is a bit high. And from the things I've heard about it, it doesn't seem like something that I would get that much use out of.

R-

Wait for a sale. $ 20 is too much. It has been a good read, but not sure I will get much actual game play out of it.


Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 pm
Profile
Ungern
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 74
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
It doesn't have any discussion on "The End Game: Why old characters never die" despite the description on the Kickstarter Page.


Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Gundoggy wrote:
I downloaded a copy of this today.

The comparison to Unearthed Arcana is very strong. I did like how they added back spellcasting for Paladins/Rangers/Bards like 1E at an extra XP cost. The new classes are unusual with a few having powers that may be extremely overpowered...for example the magic user who can add bonuses to dice rolls. Many of the other classes seem to have various combat bonuses...the skeptic in me sees this as potential power bloat similar to the 1E's UA and weapon specialization rules.

There's a thief that is virtually like a rogue but with an extra escape skill, similar xp chart.

I need more time to digest it. I will certainly use the modifications that bring back the old 1E flavour but I'm not sure about the new stuff yet.


Thanks.

I gonna go forit!

:P

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 am
Profile
Clang lives!
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 7116
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
maximus wrote:
Rigon wrote:
I'm debating on whether or not I should get this right now or wait for a sale. $20 for a PDF is a bit high. And from the things I've heard about it, it doesn't seem like something that I would get that much use out of.

R-

Wait for a sale. $ 20 is too much. It has been a good read, but not sure I will get much actual game play out of it.

Yeah, that was my thought. The next 50% PDF sale looks like the ticket.

R-

_________________
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads


Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:16 am
Profile
Ungern
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 am
Posts: 76
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Frankly, it seems like the Troll Lords jumped the shark on this one. I'll sell my hardcover for $10 plus shipping to anyone who wants it.

In fact, our group has decided to move on from C&C so I'm thinking about selling pretty much my whole C&C collection for $10 per hardcover & $5 for the modules. Send me a private message or email at kms1592@gmail.com if you're interested. I have all the codices, the monster books, the PHB, and Gaxmoor in hardcover.


Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 am
Profile
Ulthal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:23 am
Posts: 661
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?


Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Profile
Hlobane Orc

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 101
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Could someone tell me the differences between the Magic-User and the Wizard?


Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
garydee wrote:
Could someone tell me the differences between the Magic-User and the Wizard?


Yes, the magic user always sports a mustache and wears a man girdle. The wizard never ever wears underwear under his robes.

Enjoy the game,

Rhu. :P

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:30 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 pm
Posts: 2131
Location: North Coast
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Synonyms in the game prior to the back pack. Like thief and rogue.. damn the back pack makes us be specific. The new classes have synonym names and now do something different.. slight or significant is up to you, read, compare, contrast.

To me the back pack thief is a rouge with minor tweaks for cities making them for me even more of an NPC.
The magic user, if my memory is correct uses and makes magic items.

_________________
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.


Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:20 pm
Profile
Henchman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:41 pm
Posts: 1
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
The magic user channels magical effects to others, objects, spells or heal hp. For instance, a mu can add a bonus to an attribute check, add bonuses to hit and damage to weapons, increase the AC of armour, add effects to non-magic items and enhance someone else's spell. Later can transfer magical effects from one magic item to another being created or recharge wands and the like. Can't cast spells though. An interesting class, not sure how it'll work in play.


Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:29 am
Profile
Ungern
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 am
Posts: 76
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
maximus wrote:
So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?


We switched to a mashup of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerors of Hyperborea and Labyrinth Lord, since they've finally come out with a combined book for that. So far, so good. The AS&SH party is all at 4th level and the LL party has been created with hopes of getting a couple sessions in over the holidays. The plan is to run parallel campaigns with the two different systems in my home brew campaign until the parties get to 10th level or so. Then the parties get united or at least work together for awhile in a larger campaign arc, probably connected via Matt Finch's Cyclopean Deeps modules.

In a related note I'd still be up for selling some of my C&C stuff to interested parties. PM if interested.


Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 2727
Location: The Court of the Crimson King
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Persimmon wrote:
maximus wrote:
So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?


We switched to a mashup of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerors of Hyperborea and Labyrinth Lord, since they've finally come out with a combined book for that.

That sounds kinda awesome. Where is it?

_________________
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com


Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:09 pm
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1544
Location: Topsham, Maine
Post Re: Adventurer's Backpack.
Persimmon wrote:
maximus wrote:
So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?


We switched to a mashup of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerors of Hyperborea and Labyrinth Lord, since they've finally come out with a combined book for that. So far, so good. The AS&SH party is all at 4th level and the LL party has been created with hopes of getting a couple sessions in over the holidays. The plan is to run parallel campaigns with the two different systems in my home brew campaign until the parties get to 10th level or so. Then the parties get united or at least work together for awhile in a larger campaign arc, probably connected via Matt Finch's Cyclopean Deeps modules.

In a related note I'd still be up for selling some of my C&C stuff to interested parties. PM if interested.


PM sent.


Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.