View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Finesse weapons 
Red Cap

Post Finesse weapons
Just wanting an opinion. I was running C&C with someone new to the system and wanted to know if he could add his Dex bonus to hit if he is using a light weapon. I don't think their is anything in the rules about that and I was wondering if I missed something and if not whether anyone out there in internet land has house ruled this or not.

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 am
Clang lives!

Post Re: Finesse weapons
I would allow either Dex or Str, but not both.

R-

My Game Threads

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 am
Greater Lore Drake

Define a light weapon. Most weapons rely on strength to take advantage of the weapons weight or to get through armor/scales/hide, etc. About the only ones I can think of that wouldn't necessarily do so would be such weapons as the rapier and daggers that rely more on accuracy to pierce the weak spots of the opponent's defenses. So I would look more at those type of piercing weapons in addition to them being lighter weapons.

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Mogrl

Not to be rude, but the official answer is: ranged weapons. Also, in a sense, dual-wielded weapons where the penalty can be offset.

Some can also benefit from Strength adjustments such as muscle-powered hurled weapons (dagger, axe, some bows, etc.)

For melee-only, Strength is the de facto attribute to consider.

It is not impossible to use Dexterity over Strength if desired but this is not what C&C assumes. It might work best with some type of quick, agile, attacker like a fencer/duelist or maybe even only against lightly armored foes.

Oh, there may be an Edge or whatever they're called in the CKG as well -- I don't know as I don't use them. But, if there is, then that is an official option as well.

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:19 pm
Mist Elf

Rigon wrote:

R-

This makes the most sense to me. No doubt DEX could play a role in melee, but probably would help "To Hit" more than "Damage".

Now that I type that, perhaps you could allow a DEX bonus for your "To Hit", and then the STR bonus for "Damage"... but I'd probably just allow the choice of one.

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:22 am
Clang lives!

soloplayer wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

This makes the most sense to me. No doubt DEX could play a role in melee, but probably would help "To Hit" more than "Damage".

Now that I type that, perhaps you could allow a DEX bonus for your "To Hit", and then the STR bonus for "Damage"... but I'd probably just allow the choice of one.

It would be for "to hit." Str for damage.

R-

My Game Threads

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:53 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I would not allow a dex bonus to hit and then add a strength bonus to damage. The whole point of using Dex is that the PC is hitting through finesse, not brute strength. How would the PC inflict extra damage when they aren't using their muscle to hit?

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]