Monsters & Treasure 5th edition

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Fizz
Lore Drake

Monsters & Treasure 5th edition

Post by Fizz »

Hi all-

I haven't bought anything in awhile, as life (PhD, marriage, work, etc) has kept me busy for the last couple years. So i'm a bit out of date and hopefully i've not overlooked if this has been asked elsewhere.

I am considering buying M&T 5th printing. My understanding is that this printing combines several other tomes into one, and it is in color. What kind of paper does it use? Is it the non-glossy biege paper that was used in the PH 5th printing, or is it the glossy yellow of the 6th printing?

Anything else i should know in advance?

Thanks in advance!

-Fizz

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: Monsters & Treasure 5th edition

Post by Fizz »

OK, where is everyone? I know someone out there has the 5th printing of M&T. :)

Another few questions- so which books are in color now? PH (since the 5th printing i think), the CK (since the 2nd printing), and the new M&T. Are they all glossy pages?

Are there any other C&C books in color now, and are they using glossy pages (like the 6th PH) or the non-glossy like the 5th PH?

Thanks!

-Fizz

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Yes, the pages are glossy.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The new M&T is great, loose pages are great too. I dropped the extra and got the leather bound version.. great stuff in there and worth having.

The boards I fear are fading into the twilight..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I didn't respond as I don't yet own a copy of M&T 5th printing. There is a strong possibility I'll pick up a copy at Gary Con... ;)

Hopefully the boards will not completely fade. I really don't want to do FB or other social media for C&C goodness.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I hope you are right and I too have little interest in other platforms... I learned boards for CnC here on this forum... I still do not get most of it.

That said, it might just take more to get the folks to post these days....

Speaking of posts, Where has Treebore been?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I hope you are right and I too have little interest in other platforms... I learned boards for CnC here on this forum... I still do not get most of it.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Captain_K wrote:I hope you are right and I too have little interest in other platforms... I learned boards for CnC here on this forum... I still do not get most of it.

Tree can be found on Discord these days, but he's pretty much taken a hiatus from gaming for awhile. I think he was getting burned out gaming 5/6 days per week. He might be on MeWe too, but I rarely remember to check that site.

As far as the 5th edition M&T goes, I love it! I got the binder version too. Still working on getting all the pages in sheet protectors though...

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Sheet protectors and dry erase markers or grease pencils rock for use in game.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

What does one need to do "Discord"... sounds like its named to fight.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Captain_K wrote:What does one need to do "Discord"... sounds like its named to fight.
Here's the link https://discordapp.com/. You can either download the app or open in Windows. Once there you create an account (no charge). I think you need to be invited to join a "Channel", but most are easy to come by. TLG has a channel that I think you can just search for.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Thanks I will look into that. I just suggested it to our team on Fantasy Grounds... Every other Wed...

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Captain_K wrote: Tree can be found on Discord these days, but he's pretty much taken a hiatus from gaming for awhile. I think he was getting burned out gaming 5/6 days per week.
Something that, these days, is a mere dream for me - getting together for Star Trek Adventures once a month is an event; a joyous one, yes - my character (Captain of the U.S.S. Achilles) is, in the Original Series/DS9 tradition of commanding officers, first on scene to start scrapping hand-to-hand hardcore - but still a lonely rose in the midst of an often flat, dreary professional landscape marked by Unhappy or Inconvenient Event X throughout the working day.

In any event, as I believe I've noted somewhere on the boards, I picked up the Monsters & Treasure fifth printing a while back, and am enjoying the heck out of it; just wonderful to have the full original monsters mashed up with the Classic Monsters crew as well as a full array of stuff we can pick up from the local armourers' shop and s*** we can take after we've cleared out that hobgoblin lair or troll den. AD&D stuff that might be subject to copyright...? Well, easy enough to just pull out the original Monster Manual and do some quick conversions. Hoping I'll be able to pick up the Adventurers Backpack at some time in the not-too-distant future.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Well, my book has finally arrived. I really wanted to order it through the Troll's directly, but the shipping up here to Canada would have been more than the book price, so instead i ordered through an online seller. Two weeks later- yay!

I must say, my initial impressions are quite positive. I still think i prefer the non-glossy paper, but otherwise i'm liking it so far. This will give me much to read while all holed up at home. Nice job Trolls!

-Fizz

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I think I will eventually pick this one up, just don't know if I can justify it now that I have multiple copies of M&T and just bought a pristine copy of Classic Monsters for for $5 at the TLG store (on sale now!)

BTW, not criticizing glossy pages and full color artwork by any means, but I gotta say, I'm really partial to the old school approach of the original M&T in layout and design, the b&w artwork is great and the original cover and logo is still the best IMHO.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

black and white, standard print on high cotton content paper... it is what make a TOME real... magazines are high gloss pictures.. nothing in real life is glossy (unless its moist, and no one likes that).

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Captain_K wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:18 am
black and white, standard print on high cotton content paper... it is what make a TOME real... magazines are high gloss pictures.. nothing in real life is glossy (unless its moist, and no one likes that).
I do prefer the high cotton paper over the glossy, but i like color too. That is why the 5th printing PH is my favorite incarnation.

But i wanted my covers to match- i really like the current cover style. The quality of covers has definitely improved over the years, from the all beige to the green half-picture, to the current.

So i am still tempted by the (is it the 4th printing?) of MT, and 2nd(?) printing of CM, since it has the newer style cover and cotton pages. They are tough to find now, and crazy-expensive on Amazon.

But seems the Troll's are going glossy for everything now, so may not have a choice anymore. Heh.

-Fizz

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Kayolan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 am
just bought a pristine copy of Classic Monsters for for $5 at the TLG store (on sale now!)
Been eyeing that too, but shipping to Canada is high for a single book. I wonder if they have an old copy of M&T 4th printing they could include with it... Trolls? :)

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Color prints on cotton paper just fine, its just not glossy..

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Captain_K wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:21 am
Color prints on cotton paper just fine, its just not glossy..
Is the 2nd printing of the CKG in color? And does it use glossy or cotton paper? I assume the 3rd printing will use glossy paper.

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Yeah, I assume everything is magazine glossy... my tilting at windmills is trying to have a version you can buy that is on high cotton content paper.. like the leather bound custom editions... that is my goal.. so far, per Steve, their printers cannot do it... I have my dissertation on high cotton content.. the printer and binder had no problem with it, it looks great, color pictures and all, it feels amazing and its about half the weight. All good stuff.