Immunity to Illusions

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Beyondthebreach
Ungern

Immunity to Illusions

Post by Beyondthebreach »

I just wanted to get a few opinions on this. A Dark Naga has "Guarded Thoughts" which gives them Immunity to Illusions.

Does Immunity to Illusions encompass all illusory magic? i.e. Phantasmal Force, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Killer, etc.

Or does it just include actual illusions such as created by Phantasmal Force, Improved Phantasmal Force, Permanent Illusion, etc.

I am inclined to make it inclusive of all illusory magic . . . however, C&C does not "officially" distinguish spell schools in the descriptions so I would have to rely on common sense and AD&D schools. This could prove difficult to someone not familiar with AD&D.

(By the way, in my Monsters & Treasures it incorrectly lists this special ability as "Immunity to Poisons" under the stat block . . . )

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Immunity to Illusions

Post by gideon_thorne »

Immune to illusions, means exactly that. Immune to all illusions.

And the ability is listed correctly, its just called 'guarded thoughts'.

I suspect that the description for 'immune to poisons' may have been left out due to one of two reasons. 1) Oversight. 2) the word 'immune' was self explanatory.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Does Immunity to Illusions encompass all illusory magic?

Yes. If the spell exists on the spell list of the illusionist, it is an illusion, and therefore, ineffectual against the beast. Even if a wizard casts the spell, or it comes from a different source, such as a wand, or other item.

Beyondthebreach
Ungern

serleran wrote:
Yes. If the spell exists on the spell list of the illusionist, it is an illusion, and therefore, ineffectual against the beast.

But not all spells an illusionist can cast are illusions . . . like feeblemind and polymorph any object . . .

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

Nothing like that exists in my game world.

However, if they did, I would rule that it would only include spells along the lines of Silent Image and so on.

Some of those spells actually do create "Real" changes to the environment and to me that's just outside of the realm of complete fakery. I say, if it can be "disbelieved" and thus allow a saving throw, then it counts entirely as an "Illusion". If there is no save available due to disbelieving the effects, than it isn't an "Illusion", even if it is part of the Illusionist's list of spells.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, you can't use polymorph any object on a creature (you can to its stuff, but not the thing itself) but the creature would "see" it as what it is, but couldn't use it, because it would physically change. This is a weird one, to be sure, but imagine your sword turning into a boulder... you still try to wield it like a sword, but its actually a boulder, and when you look at it, it looks like a sword, but to everyone else, its a boulder.

As for feeblemind... the creature is immune because it directly affects the creature.

But, the "save allowed" idea is a good one, to distinguish, as would be "anything that affects the senses, mind, or state of an object in a purely non-physical nature." That would make polymorph any object a non-illusion.

Beyondthebreach
Ungern

serleran wrote:
Well, you can't use polymorph any object on a creature (you can to its stuff, but not the thing itself)

. . . but the very first sentence in the Polymorph any Object spell description is: While this spell can operate as a more powerful version of Polymorph Other . . .

In fact, it goes on to clearly state that you can transform a creature and even an unwilling one . . .

The spell is simply not an illusion . . . even though an illusionist can cast it. It alters reality in a definite way.