No new edition of C&C ever?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Yamo
Hlobane Orc

No new edition of C&C ever?

Post by Yamo »

I've heard a rumor to this effect and I personally hope it's the truth!

There's a lot of wisdom in not fracturing your game's player base with countless editions and upgrades (the way D&D/AD&D have traditionally been handled).

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There will only ever be reprints. The rules will never significantly change. Hence, no new editions, ever. At most, and best, there will be slight variants, like the "basic" edition, which removes race/class and goes with race only (except humans) but the rules, themselves, remain the same.

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Post by Yamo »

A very good call.

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

I do hope this turns out to be true in the long run, but "never say never", as they say.

Beyondthebreach
Ungern

Post by Beyondthebreach »

Isn't it always hard to say what the years might bring? 5 years pass . . . 10 years pass . . . if TLG is still around a decade from now (and I hope they are!) the passage of time may make a difference. New ideas . . . new gaming philosophy . . . new need for cash flow . . . new ownership . . .

I can't think of a long standing RPG that hasn't at least gone to 2nd edition. Can Castles & Crusades be the first ever?

We'll see . . .

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: No new edition of C&C ever?

Post by gideon_thorne »

Yamo wrote:
I've heard a rumor to this effect and I personally hope it's the truth!

There's a lot of wisdom in not fracturing your game's player base with countless editions and upgrades (the way D&D/AD&D have traditionally been handled).

Thats the plan. But even IF, in the long run, feedback is such that a revisit to the presentation of the game is warranted, I don't imagine anything like that would be seen any sooner than 5-10 years down the road.

Even then, it would still be more like a reprinting with the text tightened up, new art perhaps, and a more refined presentation and better clarified rules explanations, no major rules changes.

For those who like rules expansions, thats what the CKG is for. Advice on how to custom your game for you. Which is in keeping with the core C&C philosophy.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I think after a certain number of reprints the game will evolve into a new edition. After three printings we have seen changes in the poison rules and minor additions to the equipment list. In 10-15 years I could see and advocate a C&C 2e but only after the evolution and reprint variations warrent the change.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

C&C is already like a very refined 5th edition by itself.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Nope. It's what d20 Fantasy should have been.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Traveller wrote:
Nope. It's what d20 Fantasy should have been.

That's exactly what I've been telling the naysayers for a year now.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I am now finished with session 4 with my group and so far they are all sold on C&C. The only complaint I have had is from my player doing a Wizard wishing for a few more spells, and I did discuss with him the philosophy of the wizard and he seems ok, but I also think the system wouldn't be averse to adding some spells as long as such an endeavor doesn't get totally out of hand... I will probably create an "Aihrde book of spells" myself reflecting a few wizards from the world (aka Bigby and Mordenkainen's lists from Greyhawk).

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I don't think there will be a need for a second edition, the Trolls got it right the first time.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I could see a second edition emerging as a result of sufficiently popular house rules.

If there were house rules that became so popular and worked so well amongst a large enough segment of the players, then i could see justification for making these rules an official part of the core.

Unlike other editions of certain nameless RPGs, such changes would not require you to rebuild your entire setting or characters. Heh.

-Fizz

Beyondthebreach
Ungern

Post by Beyondthebreach »

Now I'm not trying to be a downer . . . I'm just trying to be pragmatic . . .
A 2nd edition isn't always necessary from a rules standpoint . . . there are several comments of how the Trolls got it right the 1st time or something similar . . .

I'm not denying that . . . I'm just saying that one of the reasons for 2nd edition is to make some more cash . . . It's not a bad thing for a company to do - after all, employees/owners need to make money. Given time, most RPG companies have folded as the years pass.

So what happens in 10 years when a lot of the "hard" fan base has moved on? Some will stay and keep playing, of course. In either case, those who do and don't play won't need another Player's Handbook. "No Thanks", I've got printings #1 - 5 as it is . . .

New players? Sure! C&C sounds great and I'm going to check it out! Umm, new price looks a little steep. This game is 10 years old, ya' know. There are two dozen copies on ebay for $6 from guys who don't play anymore . . .

You can't always rely on new players to keep buying your Core books because all those "old" core books will still be around at used book stores, Amazon and ebay . . . and the "old" players? Well, maybe they will spend the additional money to try 2nd edition. If not, they can still play 1st edition (and make a forum "bashing" 2E and all those "new" gamers who don't understand what C&C is "really" about! )

I imagine without a new edition and with limited additional accessory/core books in mind for the future, that this can be an issue in years to come . . .

Again . . . I'm just trying to look at this objectively . . . what is just said might never occur; but it's certainly a possibility, is it not?

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

I do not think the core book should be the selling point of the company in any case. If something isn't broken, why repair it?

Instead, there should be more space for campaign settings, adventure modules, expansions. You can always bring more of these to the players.