My first attempt at a class tweak: The swashbucker.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Yamo
Hlobane Orc

My first attempt at a class tweak: The swashbucker.

Post by Yamo »

The swashbuckler is your classic "light fighter." Think The Three Musketeers, The Princess Bride, etc.

As fighter, except:

Prime: Dexterity

Weapons/Armor allowed: As rogue plus the buckler

Add the following two class abilities intended to compensate for the swashbuckler's lack of access to heavy weapons and armor:

Precision blow: The swashbuckler's dexterity modifier, not strength modifier, is used to modify both melee attack and melee damage rolls. This ability is unusable when the swashbuckler is plying any weapon or armor not normally allowed.

Fancy footwork: The swashbuckler's base armor class is the same as a monk of the same level using the unarmed defense class ability. This ability is unusable when the swashbuckler is plying any armor not normally allowed.

Thoughts?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Good start. Only using it will tell you how well it works.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Where's the "jib" ability? :)

Geron Raveneye
Ungern

Post by Geron Raveneye »

Yep, what Treebore said. Good start for a class tweak.

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

I would make the fancy footwork available only when armed with something (rapier, club, longsword) to reflect their parrying ability.

To me, fancy footwrok is anyobdy that has a Dex bonus.

But, otherwise I like it.

Know your roll!

Beyondthebreach
Ungern

Re: My first attempt at a class tweak: The swashbucker.

Post by Beyondthebreach »

Yamo wrote:
Precision blow: The swashbuckler's dexterity modifier, not strength modifier, is used to modify both melee attack and melee damage rolls. This ability is unusable when the swashbuckler is plying any weapon or armor not normally allowed.

Thoughts?
What if the Swashbuckler's Strength is better than their Dex?
I think this needs some work as it renders "strong" Swashbucklers useless and essentially takes away an abilitiy. Basically it make this a "handicap" class that is only beneficial if one ability is poor - otherise the main benefit is useless.

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Re: My first attempt at a class tweak: The swashbucker.

Post by Yamo »

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Thoughts? What if the Swashbuckler's Strength is better than their Dex?

In that case, I'd call the player silly for not making his character a regular fighter.
The whole reason I made the tweak is to provide a boost to low Str/high Dex warrior types specifically.

johns
Red Cap

Post by johns »

I just used the monk - changed the flavor text and gave them their "unarmed strikes" when using swashbuckler-style weapons.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Looks good to me, a nice change of pace to the big hulking, heavily armored, bastard sword swinging, fighter types.