Point-buy for C&C

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Hairfoot
Skobbit

Point-buy for C&C

Post by Hairfoot »

This has been asked before, no doubt, but have any ability point-buy systems been posted for C&C?

I looked at the one used by D&D, but it isn't really applicable because the bonuses are spread differently.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hmm, never thought about doing point-buy for C&C. nearly every v3.5 game I played it was point-buy. I never did point buy in the old days of D&D, and with C&C I guess I never wanted to revert back.

However, you're right. The bonus spread is different, which makes the idea of point worth thinking about. I shall. Thanks.
-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Hairfoot
Skobbit

Post by Hairfoot »

Oh, I'm a dead-set point buy convert. I believed it to be heresy until recently, but a friend pointed out the wholesome, party-balancing goodness of it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are the traditional kind:

X attribute value = Y points; you have Z points total.

For example (and not tested):

Characters get 65 points.

Any attribute rated at 3 = +5 points

An attribute of 4 - 5 = +3 points

8 - 9 = +1 point

10 - 12 = 5

13 - 14 = 10

15 - 16 = 15

17 - 18 = 20

Then, there are things like:

You get X number of bonuses to spread; every negative gives an additional bonus.

For example:

Spread 2 points. If you have three attributes at -1, you have +5 to use, instead.

Then, there are priority systems. I had one, modeled after FASA, but have misplaced it.

Oh, and, there are even things like:

X re-rolls or bonus dice, but that's not really a point-buy, per se.

And, then, there's ChampiGURPS, and the fabled C&C Class Deconstruction (and, its sister the Racial Deconstruction - haha none of you have seen that!) which is very much a "point-buy"-esque thing.

And, of course, there are others.

So, really, it depends.... maybe?

IanTheMoxious
Mist Elf

Post by IanTheMoxious »

Check out the point buys systems from 2e. They should work just fine as is really.

Beyondthebreach
Ungern

Post by Beyondthebreach »

Well, you could chuck all the heavy calculations and simply assign 80 points to distribute as the players sees fit - each point is on a one-for-one basis. I like RPGs are about heroic, above-average individuals. If you gave every ability a 13 and multiplied it by 6 you would get 78 points. To this, I just rounded it out to an even 80 points.

So, a character could have slightly above average in all abilities or increase to the 16-18 range in two or three and take a small hit in the others . . .

Easy breezy for character creation, gives the player some nice options for creating a character. I always found that when all is said and done, a 18 and a few 15's, 16's or 17's do a lot more to increase player enjoyment than they do harm a campaign by unbalancing it. Besides, the DM can always increase the "threat" level the characters face - but you only have one character to play - might as well think they are all badass!

BASH MAN
Red Cap

Post by BASH MAN »

6 point buy.

Each +1 attribute modifier costs 1 point.

So for 6 points, you could have +3, +2, +1. Or you could have +3 +2 +2 and -1; etc.

Of the stats where more than one number gives the same modifier, 3 will be higher, and 3 will be lower. Or 2 high, 2 medium, 2 low (player's choice)

Example Character created by this method

Str 17 +2

Dex 18 +3

Con 13 +1

Int 16 +2

Wis 8 -1

Cha 8 -1

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Point-buy for C&C

Post by gideon_thorne »

Depending on desired capability for the group roll either 1d6, 2d6 or 3d6. The total is the max + one can have on the ability mod. This way, all the characters start on the same basis, but the numbers can vary widely. One can do a + to - exchange on a one to one basis, but no mod can rise above +3.

The bonus becomes the determining factor of the ability score instead. So one can fill in whatever ability score is closest to the bonus.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Hairfoot wrote:
Oh, I'm a dead-set point buy convert. I believed it to be heresy until recently, but a friend pointed out the wholesome, party-balancing goodness of it.

It IS heresy.

Spit out the kool-aid, man!

Alcahaelas
Hlobane Orc

Post by Alcahaelas »

Can't say I'm a proponent of this. I have a very modified system for when my players roll their stats, in that I allow them to roll a d4 and add points to attributes (not exceeding 18 in any particular ability--racial modifiers are applied afterwards). But to reduce some stats to bolster others, I don't like that. But that's just me, if a system works for your campaign and the players enjoy it, then that's mostly all that matters.

Hairfoot
Skobbit

Post by Hairfoot »

Some great ideas. Thanks for the feedback, all.
IanTheMoxious wrote:
Check out the point buys systems from 2e. They should work just fine as is really.

Which book are they in? It's been a while since I went through my non-monster 2e stuff.

wolfpunk
Mist Elf

Post by wolfpunk »

It doesn't work exactly perfect

But if I use this table,

Score Cost

9 0

10 1

11 2

12 3

13 5

14 7

15 9

16 12

17 15

18 19

An array of 15,14,13,12,10,8 still costs 25 points.

For a grittier feel,

Score Cost

8 0

9 1

10 2

11 3

12 4

13 6

14 8

15 10

16 13

17 16

18 20

In this case, an array of 15,14,13,12,10,8 costs 30 points.

Although, if I want gritty, I might not allow 18s to be purchased, and instead cap it at 17.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

wolfpunk wrote:
It doesn't work exactly perfect

But if I use this table,

Score Cost

9 0

10 1

11 2

12 3

13 5

14 7

15 9

16 12

17 15

18 19

An array of 15,14,13,12,10,8 still costs 25 points.

For a grittier feel,

Score Cost

8 0

9 1

10 2

11 3

12 4

13 6

14 8

15 10

16 13

17 16

18 20

In this case, an array of 15,14,13,12,10,8 costs 30 points.

Although, if I want gritty, I might not allow 18s to be purchased, and instead cap it at 17.

And wolfpunk comes out of the lurking shadows!!

Hi wolfpunk!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

wolfpunk
Mist Elf

Post by wolfpunk »

Thanks. I have to admit I was surprised that I had never registered to post here. I have been following cnc since it came out. My wife has recently come to realize that she loves the simplicity of the rules as compared to other systems. She can make a character in ten minutes and is ready to play. That works for me.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Re: Point-buy for C&C

Post by csperkins1970 »

Hairfoot wrote:
This has been asked before, no doubt, but have any ability point-buy systems been posted for C&C?

I just retracted my Pt. Buy system because I realize it's exactly like wolfpunk's.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.