C&C dragons - who uses them?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

C&C dragons - who uses them?

Post by slimykuotoan »

Given their rather powerful qualities, I was curious as to whether anyone on these boards uses them, or uses 1st ed. dragons, etc. instead.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: C&C dragons - who uses them?

Post by gideon_thorne »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Given their rather powerful qualities, I was curious as to whether anyone on these boards uses them, or uses 1st ed. dragons, etc. instead.

Yes, and I even ramp up their power.

Never liked wimpy dragons.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

As Treebore noticed one day, I'm rather nasty when it comes to dragons. I use the C&C dragons, but with their hit die boosted to a d20. They're simply not powerful enough for me as written.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I haven't... yet. I try to keep dragons as elusive as possible. Everyone knows what a dragon is and when I chose to use one, I like the players to be in awe and in fear for their character's continued existence!

They've just hit 6th level... somewhere between 6 and 10 is when I plan to unleash one on them. As such, I haven't taken a very good look at them yet. I used to modify a few features relative to their size and age in AD&D 2E and if I find these C&C versions lacking, I'll likely apply a similar logic to these.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Dragons and demons were the hardest thing to create rules for, especially considering I didn't have a PHB or the Collector's Box, and the rules were always changing anyway.... so, there are some assumptions in them that might seem weird (such as age being more important than HD in many cases) but oh well.

Oh, to answer: I have not ran a C&C game with a dragon in it. I find dragons boring... too clich.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I haven't used the C&C dragons yet but I have used my dragons which are more reptillian and anmialistic than mythical. I'm saving the C&C dragons for a special purpose...

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

nittanytbone14

Post by nittanytbone14 »

I like them and would use them. They seem to scale just about as well as AD&D dragons for the lower levels. I'd have no probably throwing a baby white dragon at an AD&D 1st level party or at a C&C 1st level party.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'll use the C&C versions once my players' characters hit an appropriate level (the party is all 1st level at the moment and already bitching about the slow leveling - damn you, WoW!). For now, I'm using the Miasmal Wryms supplement for some fun. The PCs didn't enjoy having unk wyrms vomiting on them Friday night.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have used C&C dragons in my games several times. Only one player death, and one dragon fallen. The other dragon... an age 8 white dragon, with a cool head, and a devious mind. No characters would dare touch good old, Twiboros. For the lands is ruled by kings, but belongs to him.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Buttmonkey wrote:
The PCs didn't enjoy having unk wyrms vomiting on them Friday night.
I'll have to make sure Steve sees this.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

gideon_thorne wrote:
I'll have to make sure Steve sees this.

One stinky PC made sure to buy soap when he got back to town. The player took great pleasure in reminding me he had soap the next time he was puked on.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Kos
Hlobane Orc

Post by Kos »

My players are about to learn that a black dragon is behind the lizardman tribes attacking their town. I sometimes like useing dragons in unexpected situations. When they're expecting an evil druid lurking in the swamp or alternativly an ilusionist is useing a dragons lair as a base of operations and extorting the townsfolk with his fake dragons. Always remember to play the dragon as an intelligent opponent. They can learn to exploit assuptions/cliches.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I think I used a very young black dragon early on, but have yet to unleash a truly powerful dragon in any of my campaigns. I can't remember exactly what I had planned, but I know I was planning on using a few houserules to amp them up a bit.

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

I do not use the C&C Dragons in my game world. They are to powerful for the way that Dragons exist in my game world.

So, I had to create my own and they work nicely, so far.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Jizo of Demons

Post by Jizo of Demons »

I've not really played C+C yet, as my RL gaming group is hopelessly lost in the quagmire that is 3.X. But I rather like the dragons the way they are. If anything, I might even beef them up a bit.

Speaking of dragons, is there a conversion of the Oriental Adventures lung dragons floating about anywhere?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
is there a conversion of the Oriental Adventures lung dragons floating about anywhere?

Which version? They've appeared more than once.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Also, thanks all for the feedback on dragons.

This is another case of damned either way. Some people say the dragons are too powerful, and others say they are not powerful enough. Guess they are so iconic that everyone has their own special unique way of seeing them....

I wonder what y'all will think of the couple new ones in M&T II...

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

serleran wrote:
I wonder what y'all will think of the couple new ones in M&T II...

I am sooo looking forward to this resource; as far as I'm concerned, a story's only as good as its villains.

More monsters, more I say!
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I concur, the more monsters, the better.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Alwyn wrote:
I concur, the more monsters, the better.

I will also say the same... as we have been saying for years now. Mo' monsters and mo' treasure = mo' betta' C&C.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I use the C&C dragons for sure. And they're not necessarily too powerful, IMO. Just about right I'd say. But then, one shouldn't throw an old wyrm at a low level party or fagettaboutit.

Use the age/power charts wisely and you should be OK.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Kos wrote:
My players are about to learn that a black dragon is behind the lizardman tribes attacking their town. I sometimes like useing dragons in unexpected situations. When they're expecting an evil druid lurking in the swamp or alternativly an ilusionist is useing a dragons lair as a base of operations and extorting the townsfolk with his fake dragons. Always remember to play the dragon as an intelligent opponent. They can learn to exploit assuptions/cliches.

Have the illusionist make the black dragon appear to be a green dragon, so when the party buff themselves up with acid protection blast them with gas. You would be unpopular for a while , but they might respect the creativity.

IMP

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Funny enough the party I DM for are about to fight their first dragon, and its also a black. His allies were also lizardmen and a greenhag mage. They killed all his allies and are about to move in on him, unfortunatetly his treasure is kept within the swamp underwater and tons of weeds. Also the dragon has a pet frogemoth lurking nearby, the damm thing is worse than the dragon. And yes my party fear me
IMP

nittanytbone14

Post by nittanytbone14 »

ChaosImp wrote:
Have the illusionist make the black dragon appear to be a green dragon, so when the party buff themselves up with acid protection blast them with gas. You would be unpopular for a while , but they might respect the creativity.

IMP

That's the only tactic the Potions of Rainbow Hues from the old OOP UA seemed to be useful for...

Kos
Hlobane Orc

Post by Kos »

ChaosImp wrote:

IMP

Nice one. If monsters get cliche, use unexpected tactics. Just do it in moderation.

Dragon printed a great article back in the day of unorthdox orc tactics/tricks. Can't remember the title though.

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

I used them in my Dragonlance games, and they work perfectly. They have the right level of power so that low level characters are scared to death, and high level ones show a healthy respect. My players will not forget so easily the new incarnation of Khisanth as a category 12 C&C black dragon

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

I really like how dragons are written up in M&T. I'll be using a silver dragon in an upcoming story arc for two 1st level characters.

dkeester
Ungern

Post by dkeester »

I am taking a bit of a different path with dragons in my current C&C game.

I am using a Green Dragon as a deity for my entire party. They are required to sacrifice 25% of all acquired treasure to her as the preferred method of worship.

Tank

Post by Tank »

I use the OD&D dragons from the 3LB + Greyhawk with a little extra house-ruling thrown in. I'm happy to post the stats if anyone would like to see them.

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

Ha! My players finally made their way down to the third level in "Thieves of fortress Badabaskor."

I finally got to use that massive red dragon figure. They were floored. There are countless times when the Paladin in the group would just charge if she detected evil. Not this time!

I don't really use the C&C dragons btb. In my world dragons are very powerful.