Scrying modifiers (possible errata)

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
bighara
Ulthal

Scrying modifiers (possible errata)

Post by bighara »

Since we can no longer add to errata threads b/c they are in Keeper Advice :

p. 91 PHB3rdP

All the modifiers are listed as a "+" regardless of whether they make scrying easier or harder. This is -IMO- goofed.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

All modifiers can be positive, depending which side of the equation they're modifying...

d20 + level + attribute bonus + miscellaneous >= 12/18 + CL + modifiers

If its a bonus to the player, it goes on the left side. If it makes it harder, it adds to the right side.

So, its not "wrong," on a purely technical base, but it might be confusing.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

If you have found something, by all means add it to the existing discussion threads within this forum or create a new post in Keeper Advice. Worst case, PM me. I don't bite...much.

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

serleran wrote:
All modifiers can be positive, depending which side of the equation they're modifying...

d20 + level + attribute bonus + miscellaneous >= 12/18 + CL + modifiers

If its a bonus to the player, it goes on the left side. If it makes it harder, it adds to the right side.

So, its not "wrong," on a purely technical base, but it might be confusing.

Considering nothing in the spell description states what side of the equation a given modifier is applied to I would say it is, at the very least, confusing. A GM or player can probably puzzle it out for themselves, but it is poorly presented as is.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

*casts* raise dead thread....

I have to agree with this the spell is confusing, I was just reading it and checked it in both 3rd and 4th printing. Then I came here to see if it was ever mentioned.

I would urge that for the 5th printing or if the CKG has any spell clarification that it be included.

Presenting it like

..following cumulative modifiers.

Caster knows the target well +5

Caster has only met the target +5

Is whacky. At least add "+5 CL" to the modifiers that affect CL. [For a example]

-Mike

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

CL would be a poor choice for words, as that could mean, especially in the description of a spell, "caster level." Instead, I would, like many (if not everything else) other examples listing those which make something harder as a negative. While it is not "wrong" to list it as a bonus, it does make it more difficult to understand the point.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Couldn't agree more, "-" would make it sooo much more clear. Just figured I'd bump this so any Trolls lurking under the bridge would see it.
-Mike