Various questions.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Andhaira
Mist Elf

Various questions.

Post by Andhaira »

-I am convertin I6 Ravenloft to C&C and need help in converting the monsters. Specifically, how do I convert Armor Class and hitpoints? (or should I keep the hp as they are?)

-Monsters in C&C use their hit dice as a modifier on their attack roll correct? So basically, a worg has a HD of 4. So it would roll 1 1d20+4 on its attack roll correct?

-Is there any suggested fix to the barbarians rage ability? Its pretty weak as is.

-What sort of magical equipment should i give 5th level PC's who are about to start ravenloft?

Thanks.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: Various questions.

Post by Lord Dynel »

Andhaira wrote:
-I am convertin I6 Ravenloft to C&C and need help in converting the monsters. Specifically, how do I convert Armor Class and hitpoints? (or should I keep the hp as they are?)

Leave hit points as-is, and subtract AC from 20. So an AC 5 reacture would be 15 in C&C, and an AC -1 creature would be AC 21 (20-[-1]) in C&C.
Quote:
-Monsters in C&C use their hit dice as a modifier on their attack roll correct? So basically, a worg has a HD of 4. So it would roll 1 1d20+4 on its attack roll correct?

Yeppers!
Quote:
-Is there any suggested fix to the barbarians rage ability? Its pretty weak as is.

The new barbarian might be more up your alley. If you need/want to use the old one, I'd suggest limiting the penalties of the rage after effects - I always thought it was fine, otherwise, but YMMV. I think the penalties for after raging are a little tough as written.
Quote:
-What sort of magical equipment should i give 5th level PC's who are about to start ravenloft?

I'd say give each player one permanent magical item...maybe two for non-casters. Maybe one or two weapon/armor/shield combo. And nothing above a +2. So maybe a +1 weapon and either a +1 shield or armor. For another bloke, give him a +2 weapon. Keep them vanilla. for casters, maybe some minor miscellaneous item, or a wand or somesuch. Again, no Staves of Power or anything major like that. Maybe give the casters a few scrolls and the non-casters some potions, or other "disposable" magic.

Also, don't forget the possibility of special material items or mastercraft items!

Hope this helps![/quote]
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Re: Various questions.

Post by CKDad »

Again, welcome to the Crusade Andhaira!
Andhaira wrote:

C&C uses different sized HD for different creatures, but for the most part you can translate HP pretty directly I believe. I believe AC 0 translates to AC 20 under C&C. Serleran is the ultimate authority on this, hopefully he'll chime in.
Quote:
Monsters in C&C use their hit dice as a modifier on their attack roll correct? So basically, a worg has a HD of 4. So it would roll 1 1d20+4 on its attack roll correct?

Exactly right. They would also use the number of HD as the modifier for any SIEGE checks.
Quote:
Is there any suggested fix to the barbarians rage ability? Its pretty weak as is.

There are several threads in this forum about that - to the Search function!
Quote:
What sort of magical equipment should i give 5th level PC's who are about to start ravenloft?

I'm not too familiar with the Ravenloft setting (heresy, I know!) and it ultimately depends on the power level you like in your games. But my quick & dirty estimate for a party of 5th level characters:

- Everyone has a +1 or better magical weapon, a few may have +2.

- Many characters will have a +1 or better piece of armor or protective gear, a few would have +2.

- Give each spellcaster a few scrolls with, say, 5 or 6 spell levels worth (i.e., one 3rd level spell, one 2nd, one 1st) per caster.

- Casters may have a wand instead of a magical weapon.

- Figure on somewhere between half and all the party members have at least one other magical item. I'm assuming you've got M&T. Using the treasure table (page 94 in the 2nd printing, not sure about the 3rd) look in the far right column for the max XP value of magical treasure found in a monsters' hoard. A party of 5th level characters has probably taken down at least one 7th level creature and large number of lesser creatures, so figure on one item worth around 2000-2500 XP for the party, a couple in the 1000-2000 range, and enough lesser items to round out the total.

- Potions - I'd roll up a bunch of random potions, say two times as many as the number of PCs, and let them each pick one. Supplement that with a healing potion per party member if you like.

Hope that gives you a starting point!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have converted I6 to C&C and even ran it several times. (I usually run Ravenloft on line every year, but haven't last year or this year.)

So if you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I'll keep my eye on this thread. Or you could PM me.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Unless you are converting the d20 version of Ravenloft, it is OK to leave hit points unmodified. Switching to, or from, C&C to AD&D AC is always the same as Lord Dynel said: Subtract AC from 20; negatives actually add thanks to math. Regarding magical gear or wealth for a 5th level PC -- I would suggest giving a few rolls on Treasure Type 5; if you do not like the results, there are Crusader articles by Sieg to help equip an advanced hero and also fill in missing backgrounds for characters that did not actually earn those levels (they just got created at that point, with an "assumed history.")

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

You can pretty much leave the hitpoints as they are and all you need to do is 'flip' the AC. Base AC in both AD&D and C&C was AC 10. In AD&D, the lower you went the better it got and C&C is the reverse; the higher the better.

So if you critter in AD&D had an AC of 2, then it would have an AC of 18 in C&C since it was 8 points removed from the base AC of 10. That's pretty much it.

For the 'to-hit' bonus... you got that right. The HD of the critter is the modifier for attacks... saves... and even skill-like attempts.

The barbarian sparked a lot of conversation over the past few years. The new barbarian isn't viewed as a berserker either so there was nothing done to address the concerns of primal fury (aka 'rage'). However, if you want to give the existing ability a boost, I'd suggest maybe changing the +2 bonus after so-many levels to +3 and then +4 after a few more. Other classes scale up certain abilities in this manner.

The equipment question is really a subjective one. In my campaign, they would probably have basic +1 equipment and in some cases, a couple of the characters may be fortunate enough to have a single +2 item (depending what was done before and the size of the party). There would also be some potions and a couple of scrolls.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Andhaira
Mist Elf

Post by Andhaira »

Treebore wrote:
I have converted I6 to C&C and even ran it several times. (I usually run Ravenloft on line every year, but haven't last year or this year.)

So if you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I'll keep my eye on this thread. Or you could PM me.

-What level did you start your pc's off at?

-What sort of magical equipment did you give them?

-In the battle with the wovles on old svalich road, is it ok to use 5 worgs instead of 5 wolves? Or is that more than 5th level pc's can handle?

And everyone else, thanks for all the replies!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Andhaira wrote:
-What level did you start your pc's off at?

-What sort of magical equipment did you give them?

-In the battle with the wovles on old svalich road, is it ok to use 5 worgs instead of 5 wolves? Or is that more than 5th level pc's can handle?

And everyone else, thanks for all the replies!

I played in Tree's first RL game and it was a blast. But, it was a higher level adventure than the original mod - Strahd had leveled up quite a bit, so we started as 9th or 10th level PCs as I recall.

We had fabulous magical items and we were fully armed with magic armor and weaponry.

But, it was psychology and cunning that won the day against the Count and our PC party defeated the vampire.

Hopefully, Treebore will see this thread and add some remarks.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth