Point Buy.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Andhaira
Mist Elf

Point Buy.

Post by Andhaira »

Whats a good pool for a point buy score for char gen, assuming all abilities start at 8 and you buy them on a 1-1 basis? Is 28 a good point buy pool?

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

You can use the method provided in Star Wars d20:

All abilities start at 8.

Each player has 25 points to increase the abilities, using the following point costs.

Add species modifiers after generating the abilities.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Traveller wrote:
You can use the method provided in Star Wars d20:

All abilities start at 8.

Each player has 25 points to increase the abilities, using the following point costs.

Add species modifiers after generating the abilities.

That would most certainly be a good method.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It also depends on what the average is you want your PC's to have, as well as how many 18's you want them to have.

So if I were to use the SW example above and I wanted a high average of stats I would say 48 point buys, no more than 2 18's, so I would see: 18, 18, 14, 14, 8, 8, assuming I am doing my math correctly.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

0 points. Stat bonuses in C&C are relatively minor (in how much they add, though they do help considerably,) and the actual score is not as important as whether it is Prime or not. So, I'd say -- just don't let them get +3 to everything, and it doesn't really matter.

But, let's see... 8 points in everything to start. Maximum of 18 in any single score. 6 scores. Average of 10-12... 25 points is a good "average character" maker system. You could go to 30 for more powerful characters. Beyond that, and you might as well just not bother with point buy and just let players decide what their stats are.

boxcornersdiety
Ungern

effective point buy

Post by boxcornersdiety »

this thread has a couple of options for non-random stat generation
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

the basic idea is to disallow chars from having two equal stats, effectively limiting them to only a couple very high or very low stats

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

I do a point buy for my game.

Base of 8 in all six attributes.

1 point each for attributes 9-15

2 points each for 16-17

3 points for 18

24 point pool.

All points are cumulative. (if you want a 16, you pay 7 points to get to 15, and 2 for the 16.

This creates the 'standard array' of 15,14,13,12,10,8 from the 3.5 DMG, which seems fair for C&C.

I get a few min-maxers (an 18 in a stat, with 9's in everything else) but overall it works well.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I have players role first and hten if they are not satisfied I use the following point buy system.

Start will all 10s and you have 18 points to distribute on a one for one point buy. I am not worried about an 18 becuase in C&C all ability scores are used for saving throws.

JLL

Wolfram_Stout
Mist Elf

whenever i

Post by Wolfram_Stout »

Hello,

Whenever I want to do point buy I figure out what I want the average to be say 13, then mulitply it by 6 and give them the total to spend ie 78.

I don't make them figure out a base then a point chart. They are all very intelligent, and at least one or two of them would still make a mistake.

And I don't like double checking math against a chart. Does it total 78? Yes, your good.

If they want to low ball a stat then fine.

Wolfram

Andhaira
Mist Elf

Post by Andhaira »

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Camazotz
Ungern

Post by Camazotz »

I do a very simple point-buy: everyone starts with 0 in each attribute, and needs to buy them up. They get 75 attribute points to spend. The points are not complex or weighted; you spend 1 for 1. Your minimum range per stat is 3 and maximum is 18. You must, no matter what, have a minimum of 1 and maximum of 19 in your stats after applying racial modifiers.

The results end up being generally good for everyone. Yes, a player could make someone under this method with an 18, 18, 18 15, 3 and 3, but in practice no one ever actually does that. More often, they go for something along the lines of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 5 or 18, 16, 12, 10, 10, and 9....stuff like that. They tend to get a few good fairly heroic scores, and a variety fo average ones. Except the fighters, who usually gimp their Cha or Wis stats in favor of outrageous Str and Con.

Anyway, I've been using that methodology for point buy since 1989 in my AD&D games, and I adopted it to C&C as well.

Zodiac Gods Publishing:
http://www.lulu.com/camazotz

Home of Keepers of Lingusia, a homebrew old-school setting for use with C&C

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Roll dice you heathen. Point buy is the cowards way out.

double-c
Ungern

Post by double-c »

Arazmus wrote:

This made me laugh.

If I'm running a game I talk to my players about the kind of method they want to use for developing stats.

I'm a big fan of an agreed on Standard Array or 6+2d6 if there simply MUST be some randomness to attributes!

Kaiser_Kris
Ungern

Post by Kaiser_Kris »

I prefer to do the 4d6, drop the lowest dice, but I don't see any problem in doing a point buy system either. If you're playing online, especially, rather than around a table, it's probably a better method.
http://yellowrex.com/tools/pbcalc.php

This is a pretty nifty tool for doing that online, you can put in any racial modifiers you want in the 'other' category, if you're willing to do the 3.5-style scaling. Using this, I'd probably let characters add 32-36 points, depending on how powerful your campaign is. I use it a fair bit for building NPCs.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Arazmus wrote:

Personally, I rather like point buy character generation since one is guaranteed one or two good stats and some really bad or so-so stats.

Other than that...are you that bored?

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I do 4d6x7. Drop the low from each set of 4d6, then use the 7th set if there's an exceedingly low roll. I don't want a bunch of feeble characters running in my campaign, but I associate the point buy system with so many of the unpleasant things that WotC did to the game that if I'm going to run "old school", I need to start out that way. Roll the dice, damnit!

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Orpheus wrote:
Personally, I rather like point buy character generation since one is guaranteed one or two good stats and some really bad or so-so stats.

Other than that...are you that bored?

Or you can take all bland, non-heroic stats...how boring. I prefer to roll them bones and takes my chances. You can get kickin' stats that way...if you feel lucky. I'm making heroes, heroes are born of chance and determination...not orderly, passionless mediocrity where everyone is the same. Yeah you can roll poorly too, but then you get the chance to role play a hero who succeeds against all the odds.

I reiterate: Point buys are the cowards' way out.

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:
I do 4d6x7. Drop the low from each set of 4d6, then use the 7th set if there's an exceedingly low roll. I don't want a bunch of feeble characters running in my campaign, but I associate the point buy system with so many of the unpleasant things that WotC did to the game that if I'm going to run "old school", I need to start out that way. Roll the dice, damnit!

Bravo

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The point-buy system does usually make for some rather bland characters, at least in my experience, but players who want balance sometimes need point buy. In certain cases, I think point-buy is key.

But for myself, I love the ATTRIBUTE MATRIX GENERATION METHOD!
http://sites.google.com/site/advancedca ... ion-matrix

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Omote wrote:

But for myself, I love the ATTRIBUTE MATRIX GENERATION METHOD!
http://sites.google.com/site/advancedca ... ion-matrix

~O

Was that a shameless plug?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Take it as you will. It's just an alternative.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Arazmus wrote:
Or you can take all bland, non-heroic stats...how boring. I prefer to roll them bones and takes my chances. You can get kickin' stats that way...if you feel lucky. I'm making heroes, heroes are born of chance and determination...not orderly, passionless mediocrity where everyone is the same. Yeah you can roll poorly too, but then you get the chance to role play a hero who succeeds against all the odds.

I reiterate: Point buys are the cowards' way out.

No, no. I was question whether or not you were bored because you are digging up threads from years ago.

As for point buy, it's a game and if the point buy method gives folks a character with decent enough stats to play a certain class while shafting them in other areas, so be it. We're playing these games to have fun.

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Orpheus wrote:
No, no. I was question whether or not you were bored because you are digging up threads from years ago.

As for point buy, it's a game and if the point buy method gives folks a character with decent enough stats to play a certain class while shafting them in other areas, so be it. We're playing these games to have fun.

No I just have some pretty strong feelings about point-buy systems...hate them with passion, the heat of which exceeds a thousand suns.

So when I was looking around the old threads for interesting topics this one caught my eye.

We do play the games for fun, it just seems that the point-buy saps some of that fun...at least for me.