The Vampire's blood drain ability

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Andhaira
Mist Elf

The Vampire's blood drain ability

Post by Andhaira »

Does the victim get to make a STR save every round to break free? The description seems to indicate that once a victim is held he remains there until the vampire drains 36 pts from him. If thats so:

-Is there anyway to break the victim free?

-Can the vampire physically attack anyone else while draining his victim?

-My edition of M&T does not have stats for Vampire Spawn. Must be a printing mistake. Can someone post them here please?

Thanks!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The victim does not get a STR save every round. The victim enters a euphoric state and lets the vampire continue to drain blood. Though, as CK you are free to adjudicate in the manner that best fits your campaign.

I would not allow the vampire to attack or do other actions while using the Blood Drain special ability.
Create Spawn: A human victim killed by the vampire's blood drain can be brought back to unlife, under the controll of the slaying vampire. The slaying vampire must want to use this ability; it is not automatic. A creature affected loses all abilities, and gains the statistics of the spawn. Spawn created in this way have 4 hit dice in stead of 8, a movement of 30 feet, only have physical saves, and have the following abilities: Blood Drain, Energy Drain, Regeneration 1, Electrical Resistance (half). If the controlling vampire is destroyed, the spawn becomes a full vampire with the normal statistics.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: The Vampire's blood drain ability

Post by Omote »

Andhaira wrote:
Spot and listen checks are handled with a Wisdom roll correct?

Also, people say feats can be emulated by SIEGE checks. However, how would you emulate feats like weapon focus, spell focus, etc etc. Basically feats with a consistent bonus.

In the other forum where you posted this message, only a few people are allowed to respond. I hope you don't mind if I take the time to give you my experience on this matter.

Spot and listen checks are not really, mechanically, built into the Castles & Crusades game. Though, the rogue and assassin class has a Listen special ability that is specific to that class. The way we have been using this skill is that only the rogue/assassin gets this ability but anyone else can obviosuly attempt to hear these small noises. In the case of other classes attempting to listen, we just make the standard Wisdom check, but do not add the level to the seige roll. Only the rogue/assassin is adept enough to add their level.

As for feats, I use them in my game (though they are called talents). For feats like weapon focus, with a simple +1 to an ability, rolling a seige check every time to apply that bonus seems tedious. Same could go for spell focus. Depending on how you run your game, if the character has tried to use feats like spell focus or weap. focus, perhaps after a certain amount of uses simply let the character have these feat-like ability. Some of the CKs on these boards have said something to the effect of, that if the PC has done the feat-like action X amount of times, the feat-like ability is permenantly part of their character. This method works just fine, but should be closely monitored by the CK to avoid potential abuse.

Like mentioned above, I use regular feats (talents) much like 3E for my games. Though I tailored the feats for C&C specifically. If you are interested there is a link in my sig to see some of these rules. Maybe they can help you in some way for your games.

Welcome to the Crusade.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Andhaira
Mist Elf

Post by Andhaira »

Omote, what would you say to spot checks? Can anyone use a Wisdom check to spot something AND add their level to the check?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As for Spot I handle it by letting everyone add their level by third level. I just can't buy adventurers being oblivious forever.

As for the feats you mention, I don't bother with them, I only bother with big ones like power attack, cleave, great cleave, and spell altering ones. These one pointers are too much like fighter specialization and that is the fighters domain, no one else's.

Now if you want to fiddle with such a bonus you can just make it part of a classes "abilities", or have them earn it by using the SIEGE engine to make "X" number of successful SIEGE checks in game to earn the point of skill. X can equal 10, 15, 20, or whatever makes the most sense to you.

I believe Omote has a DL in his sig area showing how he makes the "Feats" available to his PC's.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: The Vampire's blood drain ability

Post by gideon_thorne »

Andhaira wrote:
-My edition of M&T does not have stats for Vampire Spawn. Must be a printing mistake. Can someone post them here please?

Thanks!

2nd and third printing both have the stats for vampire spawn on page 82 under the heading "vampire spawn". Its in the text.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Andhaira wrote:
Omote, what would you say to spot checks? Can anyone use a Wisdom check to spot something AND add their level to the check?

For spot checks, our group at one time did not include level in such checks because that might take away from the Listen special ability of the rogue/assassin. Eventually though we started including +level in spot checks because it seems that adventurers would get better at spotting things as they matured in as adventurers. We still only level rogues/assassins add level to listen checks because that is what C&C PHB says to do, and in this case makes sense.

~O
VAE VICTUS!