Worn Items and Encumbrance

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Melkor
Ungern

Worn Items and Encumbrance

Post by Melkor »

Hi folks,

Doing a read-through of the 4th Printing of the PHB, and am having

a hard time figuring out the Encumbrance Value of "worn" items like

Armor.

In the previous version of the PHB, it states that the EV of worn items

are reduced by 1.

The 4th printing states that:

"load bearing items reduce the total EV of the items inside by 1 for every 2 points (i.e. divide total EV by two, rounding down) of EV contained within."

That said, I am not seeing where Worn Items are shown...just load bearing items. Is it the same as in past printings of the PHB?

Thanks.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I believe that the description of worn items, and thus the (w) notation was left out of the Encumbrance section of the 4th printing of the PHB. The -1 for (w) ENC items still applies as far as I know.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Melkor
Ungern

Post by Melkor »

Thanks Omote!

Helpful, as always.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

As quoted from the C&C Players Handbook, 3rd printing:
The EV for objects assumes that the character is carrying the object. Some objects are instead designed to be worn by the character (clothes, armor, etc.). As such, a character that wears any of these objects would have an EV of the item reduced by 1. Thus, a character that is wearing a suit of padded armor (EV 2 base) would instead count it as an EV of 1 so long as they are wearing the armor. Wearable items are marked with a W next to their encumbrance value.
VAE VICTUS!

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

Omote wrote:
I believe that the description of worn items, and thus the (w) notation was left out of the Encumbrance section of the 4th printing of the PHB. The -1 for (w) ENC items still applies as far as I know.

~O

Why? Was it going to change but didn't?

Know your roll!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

CharlieRock wrote:
Why? Was it going to change but didn't?

Not that I am aware of.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

If the information on EV for worn items was dropped, it wasn't supposed to. I don't have my book handy but don't the equipment tables themselves explain what the (w) means along with some of the other table entry notations?

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

moriarty777 wrote:
I don't have my book handy but don't the equipment tables themselves explain what the (w) means along with some of the other table entry notations?

No sir. Not in the 4th printing of the C&C PHB. The paragraph that I posted above seemed to have been dropped from the 4th printing. I'm not sure why as the (w) notation remains. That is why I think that the rules remain the same, just include the italicized paragraph above and you have all of the rules needed.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
No sir. Not in the 4th printing of the C&C PHB. The paragraph that I posted above seemed to have been dropped from the 4th printing. I'm not sure why as the (w) notation remains. That is why I think that the rules remain the same, just include the italicized paragraph above and you have all of the rules needed.

~O

Wasn't dropped, its just been altered slightly and is on page 48 of the 4th printing right at the top of the page in the first column.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Still needs to have the description of the (w) notation in there somewhere. Reading that paragraph really closely gives you the idea how it is supposed to work, but is still fairly complicated. Had to read it a few times myself. Also, in that same paragraph, a few sentances up from the bottom, there seems to be reason to include the -1 for (w) notation:
"Also note that load-bearing items and worn items can reduce the EV of items to 0..."

In my mind, the following paragraph still needs to be included, and perhaps altered a little based on the adjusted load-bearing rules.
The EV for objects assumes that the character is carrying the object. Some objects are instead designed to be worn by the character (clothes, armor, etc.). As such, a character that wears any of these objects would have an EV of the item reduced by 1. Thus, a character that is wearing a suit of padded armor (EV 2 base) would instead count it as an EV of 1 so long as they are wearing the armor. Wearable items are marked with a W next to their encumbrance value.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Melkor
Ungern

Post by Melkor »

I agree with Omote. It would definitely be helpful.

K2h2m3
Red Cap

Post by K2h2m3 »

I also agree.

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Wasn't dropped, its just been altered slightly and is on page 48 of the 4th printing right at the top of the page in the first column.

What are ya going to draw for the cover of the fifth printing?

Know your roll!