Paladin Rarity

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

[quote="Lord Dynel"]If you got to play more than one or two paladins, Go0gle, I envy your luck (unless, of course, you were allowed more leeway during character creation). [/quote]

I qualified for three pally's under the 1e rules on 3d6, and two rangers. When they opened it up to what you would like to play, then I ran several more as they were my preferred class. When the Cavalier came out, I was the first to run a Paladin cavalier (with some really great stories behind him too). I think I did pretty good...guiding my party along the "high road" without being overly preachy or control freakish. It was more along the lines of rational reasoning...setting up a "party policy" before adventuring...which the non-LGs did what they could to get around it when convenient or they could arrange to do so.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Go0gleplex wrote:
I qualified for three pally's under the 1e rules on 3d6, and two rangers. When they opened it up to what you would like to play, then I ran several more as they were my preferred class. When the Cavalier came out, I was the first to run a Paladin cavalier (with some really great stories behind him too). I think I did pretty good...guiding my party along the "high road" without being overly preachy or control freakish. It was more along the lines of rational reasoning...setting up a "party policy" before adventuring...which the non-LGs did what they could to get around it when convenient or they could arrange to do so.

Dang! I didn't get to play much under 1st Edition - I started 1st in early '87 and switched to 2nd when it came out in '89. I did play two characters in 1e, though - a thief and a fighter. My hats off to you, hoss, and your luck!

Joe, as far as adding additional limits to paladins - if that's what you want to do, go for it. In my experience, a player has to be in a particular mindset to play a paladin, and thus knows some of the obligation he'll have to undertake. And he knows, as a DM, I'm not going to make it easy on him. I'm not going to be out to get him, but I'm going to make sure he stays true to paladin form.

So while I'd be personally against adding additional requirements to becoming a paladin, I would make sure that the player understands that the paladin is a class that has more than "mechanical" requirements and that you'll be on the lookout for him straying from the ethical boundries. Make sure he/she understands that it's not personal, but it's just a fact of life for a paladin character. I would suggest you and any player read an old Dragon (Issue #51, reprinted in Best of Dragon Vol. III) magazine article entitled, "It's not easy being good - Restrictions and rewards of paladinhood." I've directed my players to that article (or supplied it for them) over the years and I believe it gave them a bit more insight than what they had.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Where can I find this Dragon?

Who wrote the article?

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If I want to test a player's mettle, I test them in the game. I do not allow a character, generally, to start as a paladin... after all, you must show to the gods that you're worthy. I also do not allow a character to start as a "wizard" either. But, I do so love me some 0-level play.....

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:
But, I do so love me some 0-level play.....

Indeed.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
I would suggest you and any player read an old Dragon (Issue #51, reprinted in Best of Dragon Vol. III)

L.D. thanks for mentioning the article. Some how through all the years I'd missed that one. The second article (Thou shalt play this way) is also a good one.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Lurker wrote:
L.D. thanks for mentioning the article. Some how through all the years I'd missed that one. The second article (Thou shalt play this way) is also a good one.

Yes, yes, that is a good article...also from Dragon 51!
Joe, Roger E. Moore wrote the article I was talking about and Robert J. Bezold wrote the one Lurker referred to. Both are excellent articles and I honestly didn't remember "Thou shalt play this way" until Lurker mentioned it, because (as I mentioned) "It's not easy being good - Restrictions and rewards of paladinhood," is reproduced in Best of Dragon Vol. III while the other one is not. Again, both are excellent articles and would give a CK a good many points to keep in mind when having a paladin in the party.

As for availability, I can only suggest eBay, RPG Marketplace, or Amazon - which apparently has a couple copies for as low as $5.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Aneoth of Ironwood
Hlobane Orc

Post by Aneoth of Ironwood »

Dragon Magazine Issue 106: Feb 1986

A Plethora of Paladins; Seven new Paladins with different alignments.

Worth a read.

Why must all PC Paladins be only Lawful Good?

Anti-Paladins (From Dragon Issue 39, and Best of Dragon 2) exist after all, and they are Chaotic Evil, not Lawful Good...

True enough the Dragon 39 Artilce stated that the Anti-Paladins are for NPC use only...

(Actually, Issue 106 also suggested the other alignment Paladins be used only as NPCs...)

WHY NOT as a PC too?

Especially since many Fantasy Games involve players running Evil PCs anyway these days.

And if so, then why not other Paladins of other religeons and alignments?

A Holy Warrior (Or Un-Holy Warrior for some) who promotes the causes of his/her alignment/religeon.

Otherwise, who except the dedicated priests would fight for the other gods?

Do those other dieties not also deserve to have a Holy Warrior caste too?

I think they all deserve an equal chance to have Holy Warrior who will slay unbelievers for their diety...

Besides, even if they do not deserve it, who besides the other gods could stop them?

Aan the LG Paladin?

Gulgazh the shadowed will smite thee.....