Players' Perspective: Save or die

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Geoffrey
Ungern

Players' Perspective: Save or die

Post by Geoffrey »

This poll is from your persepctive as a C&C player, NOT as a Castle Keeper.

By "save or die", I mean your character having to make a saving throw or suffer automatic death (as opposed to losing a number of hit points). For example, a poisoned needle trap on a locked chest. If a character is pricked by the needle, he has to make a saving throw or drop dead.

Click here to order: http://carcosa-geoffrey.blogspot.com/

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

I have a great fondness for AD&D and Basic D&D, both of which use save-or-die spells, poisons and traps. In spite of this, I don't dig save-or-die effects and try to tone down such effects in my C&C game.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

There is no umbilical cord between my character sheet and myself. If he dies, I get to roll up another PC... eventually.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

As I DM/CK, I try to keep that type of thing a minimum. As a player, it sucks. But, as I stated in the other poll (lvl drain), that is the life of an adventurer - sometimes you're lucky, sometimes ya ain't!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As a player, it sucks, but without it I feel the game is a waste of time. I play to over come the danger, not to be a panzy.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Treebore wrote:
As a player, it sucks, but without it I feel the game is a waste of time. I play to over come the danger, not to be a panzy.

Aye, Cap'n! Me thoughts exactly!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Sometimes everything has to hinge on the roll of a twenty-sider. Often it's THE defining moment of a game session...just don't overdo it.

Towit:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1293
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1297

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Risk = reward. A character properly prepared suffers no such thing. Beside, if no one dies, how can I ever use animate dead?

Aneoth of Ironwood
Hlobane Orc

Post by Aneoth of Ironwood »

COME ONE GUYS!

Do you REALLY want to live forever?

I say Kill or be killed!

But just for the sake of party unity, lets have the hirelings stay in front of the group.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:

Too true. Even in real life combat there are times that it is just luck or ill luck that decides if someone lives or dies. If it true for real life it should be more so in a world where there are monsters that can kill with a look, demons with magic so powerful they can cross from hell and do mischief at will etc etc.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

I don't care for this at all. It could be tolerable if you were reduced to zero hit points and your fellow adventurers had a chance to heal you with a spell, potion or first aid, but save vs death is not fun.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Lurker wrote:
Too true. Even in real life combat there are times that it is just luck or ill luck that decides if someone lives or dies. If it true for real life it should be more so in a world where there are monsters that can kill with a look, demons with magic so powerful they can cross from hell and do mischief at will etc etc.

Yes, this. World of Warcraft and the like (even the Forgotten Realms-themed Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) have spoiled the definition of RPG. No one plays a role in those games, they control an avatar. There is no real roleplaying and there is no real death of characters, unless you forget to pay your subscription.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Even as a player, there has to be some sense of danger. You are an adventurer and do very dangerous things. Without a sense that everything could end with one wrong decision, or one terrible timing of fate, you might as well go back to playing checkers.

With great risk, comes great reward.

Theoretically the characters we are playing are not bakers or cobblers. They go out to slay beasts and plumb the treacherous depths of the earth for ancient treasures. Usually in a fantasy world, these things are not easy to obtain. The things that hold such treasures want to keep them save and locked away just as bad as you want to obtain them. And like you, they are willing to kill to keep them safe.

Think of one other thing regarding save or die. Time and again you'll see players/CKs come up with the argument that if the character falls off a cliff to the jagged crags 200 feet below, the PC dies no matter how many HP they may have. How is this different than a save or die spell? In real life a single bullet can end the life of the most able-bodied. Why can't a magical beam of green light shooting out from the gnarled hand of a necromancer offer the same chance of one's life being ended in a heartbeat?

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Included into the game with moderation, this is one of the most "edge of the seat" situations in the game. Players may not see it as fair at first, but the good players end up getting a laugh out of it later.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I have to speak as a D&D player instead of a C&C player, as I've not had the chance to play C&C yet (run, but not play).

I think it makes the game more fun. I'm one of those sick, twisted people (I suppose) that believes that sometimes peoples actions can lead them directly to death. Some spells, some traps, or what have you, are that poweful and wicked. You have to be careful or your dead.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

The chance of certain death should be one of the inherent dangers when an adventurer is going up against powerful foes. I like it... of course that's from the CKs point of view. But it really is no fun if you know that you're always going to triumph... you have to earn it to enjoy it

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Lord Dynel wrote:
I'm one of those sick, twisted people (I suppose) that believes that sometimes peoples actions can lead them directly to death. .

Thus the Darwin Awards.

Ruarigh
Henchman

Post by Ruarigh »

I don't like save or die situations as either CK or as player. They are too final too quickly. I like my players to suffer! But seriously, if a player makes stupid decisions and dies as a result that is acceptable. Likewise, a character going down fighting against impossible odds so that others can escape and defeat the bad guys is heroic and acceptable. Dying because you failed a spot check to see a poisoned needle and then failed a save to avoid death does not fit the heroic ideal of the games I like to run and like to play in.

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

At some point dont save or dies become moot as the party obtains spells such as death ward, resurrection, and etc.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm not a fan of it as a player or a CK.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

To me, save or die comes with the job description.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:

Yep.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Included into the game with moderation, this is one of the most "edge of the seat" situations in the game. Players may not see it as fair at first, but the good players end up getting a laugh out of it later.

+1

This.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I don't like it.

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

I think Save or Die adds to the game, if used sparingly. More so if the game has shorter character sheets, otherwise too much paper is wasted.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

When your playing games like C&C or AD&D it is really no big deal but in games like 3.X or other more complex games it can be a chore to roll a new PC or calculate lost levels.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I think there's a time and a place for it, but I don't want a return to AD&D's dichotomy of You Made It So You're Fine vs. You Failed You're Dead with every poison.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I'm the forever CK so I just asked my wife her thoughts and voted her answer. She chose more enjoyable.

She said it is a game, not a "let me tell my story" and the game looses a chunk of cool factor for her if the "ultimate risks" part of it is watered down.

And, while not C&C related, it also led her to say that she think it will suck in the Dragon Age RPG if they don't go Save or Die when becoming a Grey Warden. She thinks the coolness of becoming one is gone fi you don't risk losing your character to do so (she's a DA freak any more).

double-c
Ungern

Post by double-c »

When running Death Frost Doom, there was an early Save vs. Death roll from a gas trap. I slapped a 2 min sand timer on the table and told the players to roll initiative, rounds were spent to save the persons life.

I started using the timer for all Death saves (as few of them as their were). The mini skill challenge worked out great!

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

The bottom line for me is that save-or-die situations only exist when players put their characters into those situations.

If you don't know if the chest is trapped, don't open the chest. If you don't want to be PWKed, don't go up against high level wizards. If you don't want a single hit roll to kill your fighter, don't go up against storm giants.

Here's what I would say to my players:

If you're so risk-averse that you can't handle PC death due to the roll of a single die, don't play a game that relies on dice for adjudication of life-threatening situations. Better yet, don't play an adventure game. Stick with MMORPGS or read a Drizzt novel.

I don't run novels where the good guy always wins.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society