Critical Hits?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

On critical hits, do you still make them confirm them?

And if so, how?

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Shenron wrote:

And if so, how?

Nope. When I read 3.5 and saw that if you rolled a Mr. Natural, that you then had to confirm the that it was a critical hit by rolling again and hitting, I was rather suprised. I suppose it makes things less deadly and more dice rolling, but to me, a 20 is a Critical Hit. So no need to roll again to confirm.

Naleax
Ungern

Post by Naleax »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Natural 1: Dex check (d20 + dex mod vs 12/18), failure means next round is lost and success means normal miss.

ThrorII did something similar in his C&C Greyhawk campaign. I realize fumbles are supposed to penalize your character but losing a turn can turn to some serious boredom for a player.

Some combats would take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete a round so upon fumbling I would often lose interest in the game, come back after two turns of combat, only to find i was unconscious from attacks or worse fumble again and end up losing more turns.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

[quote="Naleax"][quote="Lord Dynel"]Natural 1: Dex check (d20 + dex mod vs 12/18), failure means next round is lost and success means normal miss.[/quote]

ThrorII did something similar in his C&C Greyhawk campaign. I realize fumbles are supposed to penalize your character but losing a turn can turn to some serious boredom for a player.

Some combats would take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete a round so upon fumbling I would often lose interest in the game, come back after two turns of combat, only to find i was unconscious from attacks or worse fumble again and end up losing more turns.[/quote]

Hence my use of simply assigning a 1 to their next initiative...so that there isn't that down time.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

When I have used fumble systems, I have always based the fumble on what the character was doing. For example, once the party half-orc barbarian hurled his two-handed axe overhead to try and strike a fleeing wererat or at least trip it... he rolled a 1. His axe hurled alright, and landed smack directly into my druid's pet bear, killing it. The druid and the barbarian did not get along after that... until the bear was resurrected thanks to a lesser wish.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I've got a deck each of the Paizo Crit Hit/Fumble cards, too, and we really liked using them. But we've found a set of charts online that starts at double damage but gets really nasty above a roll of say, 70-75.

So my last game, I started to give the players the option when it came to Critical Hits (unmodified 20's)... They could choose to pick a card, roll on the chart, or allow me to ad-lib what happens based on the situation (which would never be anything less than max damage). Ditto with the fumbles.

Monster crits or fumbles get handled the same way as the last PC hit or fumble. So if they choose roll a crit on the "killer" chart, they can be forewarned that if a monster is next to roll a crit, it will roll on the same set of charts. It's a little less fluid that way, but the players seem to really like having the choice.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I used to use a pretty severe crit and fumble chart (one of the entries was fall on nearest weapon for triple damage or strike friendly left for double damage) but it just got to tedious with things so I junked them for a simpler system.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I try to avoid needing to roll much, so I do not use a confirmation system except using my eyes to see a natural 20 was, indeed, rolled.

Like others, I used to have a very complex critical system but quickly tossed it when the players realized they suffered from it more than they benefited.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

I go for a simple approach to crits and fumbles:

A natural "20" automatically hits. If a natural "20" was not needed in order to hit, you deal maximum damage to your target.

A natural "1" automatically misses. You suffer a -2 AC penalty until your next action.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

In all fairness to me, 'loss of your next turn' was only one possible outcome of rolling a '1'.

Other possibilities included that you threw your weapon in a random direction up to 30', that you slipped and were prone, that your bowstring snapped, or that your opponent got a free attack.

My crits were also as creative. A natural '20' was always max damage, but there was usually an extra goodie: defender knocked prone, defender weapon breakage, defender shield sunder, defender loss of weapon hand, etc.

I never had a chart, I just ruled what sounded good at the moment.

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I've stuck with the same system I used back in my 1e/2e days: roll 20, and you roll and extra damage die. Thus a longsword would do 2d8 + STR mod. No complaints from my players yet.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

ThrorII wrote:
In all fairness to me, 'loss of your next turn' was only one possible outcome of rolling a '1'.

Other possibilities included that you threw your weapon in a random direction up to 30', that you slipped and were prone, that your bowstring snapped, or that your opponent got a free attack.

My crits were also as creative. A natural '20' was always max damage, but there was usually an extra goodie: defender knocked prone, defender weapon breakage, defender shield sunder, defender loss of weapon hand, etc.

I never had a chart, I just ruled what sounded good at the moment.

I used this way for years, and it is still my "backup" option if I have players who are wary of my table.

It has several advantages, its fast and as its made up on the spot as per situation it is never nonsensical like a table can be and you can really add flavour depending on the mood, goofy effects for a lighthearted moment, gruesome ones. I find it best for making fighting environments more unique and bringing them into play;

people falling off bridges (dex check to catch the edge), crashing swords into stalactites, slipping on blood, blows so hard they stagger opponents down stairs, it can really add to an evocative description and tests your DM imagination.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I kind of liked the way Steve did nat 20s for the game he ran at the end of TC. Roll a nat 20, get max damage plus a 1d4.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

doomed_bishop
Ungern

Post by doomed_bishop »

Shenron wrote:

And if so, how?

In my last campaign, I tried something.

When a player roll a natural 20 I make him re-roll a d4. Depending on the result, different effects occur.

4 = twice max damage

3= max damage and an half

2= max damage

1= automatic hit only (so, normal damage)

At first glance, we can think that twice damage is a lot, but in 50% of the cases, the damage will be less than a max damage + d4.

The system seems to work well (for my player and my campaign). Its easy, and we dont have to roll more die than the max damage + d4. Moreover, I dont like the idea that well have a critical in 5% of the time.

Doomed

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

There is a flat 5% chance of a crit on any given attack (if you use nat 20 as your basis for a critical hit). In light of that, I wouldn't go through the trouble of "confirming" a critical hit. I have used the same system that Steve and those cats use for critical hits, max die damage+mods+1d4
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan