Demo Pack

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
tadkil
Skobbit

Demo Pack

Post by tadkil »

Do we have a demo pack for FLGS and such. I was pimping C&C at my FLGS. There was some interest. It would be useful to have a dealer pack of intro material or a set "intro" mod and pregens.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Demo Pack

Post by Go0gleplex »

There used to be a demo pack, but I'm pretty sure it is no longer available.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Yeah, its kinda went the way of everything else with the C&CS sad to say. :(
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Julian Grimm wrote:Yeah, its kinda went the way of everything else with the C&CS sad to say. :(
The heart of the problem with maintaining an active C&CS has always, and will always be, lack of infrastructure and ability to support to make it anything like the PF society, the old RPGN, even on a smaller scale. Steve simply doesn't have the ability of Paizo to hire several people to work, as career without other worries, coordinating communications, putting together promotional materials, providing rewards and also arranging writing and production of materials separate for an active society. Also, historically this has been a fan-volunteer organization, with fits and starts and none of us able to sustain what we start. I include myself obviously in this. We have hard, busy lives and a task of creating an active international community is just plain HARD and massive endeavor, even in the simplest of tasks. That also has been problematic because there are many who don't want the Society to be "under the thumb" of the company, which is quite appropriate to maintain it as a fan-based community. But then we're back to "who's in charge" and we need TLG support for this or that. Once upon a time the C&CS was the playtesting platform for early C&C, but became fractured with the "wars" over what C&C was supposed to be or not (with people leaving and heading off to other OSR early projects and others that supported the SIEGE and what C&C became), then it lost it's focus without that mission, Fiffergrund came and went, Serl headed for awhile, then I sort of stepped in and tried my hand. Others like Julian, moriarty, Dachda, GooGle, lurker, and others jumped into help, Serl started a chat room, and I pumped out the 1st (very crude) Domesdays. We seemed to have a little steam, but when you get a little bit going it wants for more - Serl stepped away and handed it all to me, I paid for and built a website to host things, Piper came on and we greatly expanded and refined the Domesday, but made it pretty big in the process. We started C&CS tourneys at GenCon and a few cons. TLG would have brief fits of support, the demo packs, etc. new logos. But as with all things, it wasn't sustainable - my life and Piper's became to complicated and we found ourselves unable to carry forward. There were differences of opinions on what should be done (and there is no begrudging anything here - get any 2 gamers into a room and the chances of having us agree on things is about the same level as Keanu Reeves winning that Oscar :shock: ). The society fell dormant. Then Pat and Julian and a couple of others brought the Domesday back for 2 scaled down, well-produced issues, but Pat ran into the same sort of problems Piper and I had trying to keep things going. Sadly things have been lost - the rolls are gone, and may not be recoverable - the Domesday is again on hold, and the question is the same as it ever has been - what the Society should BE.

I do this in response to this thread because I think the question is at the heart of the reality of the future of the Society. In the end, unless someone who has A LOT OF DEDICATED time emerges to say "I can take this on!" there will never be any of us who can succeed at building and then sustaining the Domesday, society organization, beyond a very loose community. What we can do is take up the banner in very localized ways, like Omote does where he goes, like Sir Osis, CKDad did with GaryCon, Piper and Snoring at GenCon, like Tylermo is at GameholeCon, Treebore does online, etc.

The ONE thing that would be helpful is if TLG could revitalize a demo pack and promotional materials for the C&CS for individuals to be able to use at local gamestores, cons etc. This WOULD be of help to newcomers like the OP here, and I will do my best to advocate for trying to squeeze a little time from H.H., Bluffside, Aihrde and all the other things on the plate to find a way to revitalize this. I think I will try to bug TIM BURNS on this.

8-)
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

John,

I don't want to say too much at the moment but there are some things being discussed between Pat and I concerning the C&CS and a possible future. All I will say is that if it works there is a possibility of these problems being rectified and the C&CS reemerging. However, it will not be over night and there is a lot of work to be done. If you or anyone else is interested please PM me, I am seeing the need of about 3-5 people to see these things out and get the ball rolling.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

If I had the time...and the mental energy left at the end of the day/week, I'd be jumping on this. Things may change for me in the next six months however...I hope.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

For those that want to promote the game...continue going to cons, put games on the schedule, and demonstrate the strengths of C&C to prospective players. It would be nice if there was a new demo pack, or rewards for running games (as in the case of the Savage Worlds Explorers' Society-and Mike and Steve who run that are Pinnacle fanboys who may also do some proofing and playtesting for that company, as well. I don't know their arrangement with Pinnacle. Anyway...). I was running Savage Worlds games, even pre-society, and later C&C, to promote games I was passionate about. If you've got a phb, m&t, a 3 or 4 hour adventure, and a genuine love for your game...there's no better way to spread the word. Tell people about the website and online store, and/or direct them to the nearest flgs that carries TLG product. Anyway, I'm rambling. No solutions amidst my babble, but that's what I've done.