View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
2009 Updates! 
Lore Drake

Post 2009 Updates!
Greetings all!

On this, the 2nd Sunday of February, 2009, I'm pleased to send you the following news and information on the Castles & Crusades Society:

First, we have had a bit of flurry in recent days on submissions for our upcoming Domesday Book Issue #4, but in order to facilitate even more submissions we are extending the deadline by another 2 weeks. I've also reorganized the overall schedule to reflect a good and realistic goal: 3 issues per year, one each in Spring, late Summer/Early Fall, and Winter. As we are all consumed by real life, I know how hard it is to expect contributors to continue returning with quality material on any other sort of schedule, but I feel an average of 4 months for each should be sufficient to produce and recharge for the next round. We definitely are looking for more reviews, material for StarSiege and want to support Harvesters, Victorious and others as they come out.

I have also updated the website, including a bit of streamlining and reordering to the navigation tabs, and beginning this month I am updating the Netbooks link with the current spell list in progress for our Grimoire Crusadus. We currently have 20 spell submissions, and this is getting going quite well. I have also posted the template and example on that page as well as having it in the forums. I also recommend Casey Canfield's article on spell creation in Crusader #15 for those who might be interested but are saying to themselves "huh I'd love to contribute but I don't know how to go about writing a spell."

The Society contest in the Muse's Market continues, and there has been a bit of an uptick in this, but we can get even better - remember, once we have 100 entries we will judge amongst the staff and contributors of Domesday and select the winners. I do have to check if our prizes have changed, as the copy of Upper Works may no longer be available due to it being out of print (just something I have to check on - but never fear! if changed the prize will be something good!)

Society Chats have been a bit dead for a few weeks, and I myself have struggled to find time to join in completely, but remember the chat room is ALWAYS there and ALWAYS open - members can use it at any time to connect and chat. We will continue our Friday evening scheduled chats, and I will endeavor to be there more often. I also will be probably announcing impromptu chats occasionally. I will do that right now in fact: TONIGHT, SUNDAY FEB. 8 - 9:30 EST, 8:30 Central, I will be online working and will be in the Chat room for any who are free and around!

Now on to broader Society news - I have begun some talks with Steve at TLG about perhaps bringing the Society a bit more closely back into the fold with TLG, rather than hoping it exists as separate completely. In some respects, our always ongoing struggles to make it more than it is come from the fact that there's just so much RPG "noise" out there on the web, and so many existing web sites and forums, that it's hard to break through, plus a fact we'll always have: our name will always be connected to the C&C game, so even though we expand and try to offer access and support beyond just C&C the game, it's hard to really get new people to wrap their heads around that. That being said, we won't be walking back from some of our initiatives with outreach to other systems, etc., but we may re-bond and strengthen ties directly with the Trolls, C&C and the SIEGE products forthcoming. I have made a couple of suggestions concerning how this would tie into benefits for Society members, and hope to have some news on that front in the coming days and weeks! We will still have space for interest in non TLG products, and especially hope to be able to offer some space in an upcoming Domesday for a new RPG project in the works by Jeffrey Talanian (Ghul) and his partners.

The Society will indeed be creating and destributing membership cards this year, although the time-table looks to be late spring/early summer for this endeavor. Sometime in spring you will receive an email from me asking if you have an image (a pic of yourself, an avatar, etc.) you want on the card, or if not it will be the default logo for the Society (which is also in the works for a redesign). Each member will have a number. The cards will be sent in pdf to each member, and you may print, cut and lamenate at your end. The use of the cards will be tied to some expansion of our connection to TLG, and again hopefully to some other events and benefits as well.

Which brings us to GenCon! I will be there this August, and the Society will be arranging a special event this year for all members at GenCon - I am in the very early planning stage for this myself, and will get back to everyone with details shortly!

I will also be doing something for the Society in Lake Geneva for the upcoming Gary Memorial Two-Day event - as I previously stated, I'll be purchasing and delivering a gift in rememberence from the Society, with a parchment of our rolls attached as signature. I am considering a number of ideas: a leather-bound volume of some historic/medieval/miltary work (?); a peice of artwork; or, perhaps, a very nicely engraved collector's beer stein? Again, suggestions are welcome - I will put up the money for the gift myself.

As well as GenCon, there are 2 other cons I will be holding Society events at: one is Fire and Ice Con in Manitowoc (where I live), which is just 2 1/2 hours north of Chicago, an hour north of Milwaukee. I'll be running 2 games there, and will look to expand awareness of C&C and the Society. All are welcome who might be nearby or in the area - the info site is www.fireandiceconvention.com . My wife and I might host an evening get together if there are more than just us - with Jambalya and wine! The 2nd is LGGC, which we hope to, like GenCon, do something in connection with the Society. The exact dates and info should be coming soon from TLG.

Well, that's my missive - my apologies for the length, but I had a lot to catch up on and get in line. Again, stay tuned, for there will be much more to come!!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

Mr. Wright, this is all good news. The Society has a strong place for gaming, but with dedicating more focus to TLG and it's products will only strengthen the Society.

Keep up the good work.

-O

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Maukling

Cool beans. Glad to see the Society moving ahead.

Good stuff.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]