The Harbinger Variant -- Demoing C&C

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

THEN IM HOISTED BY MY OWN PETARD!!!1111
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

Had our C&C Demo yesterday and it was fantastic!! Five players and I gathered at my LGS and spent about 5 hours creating characters, rolling dice, killing monsters, and saving the helpless - loads of gaming goodness! The players really liked the C&C "rules lite" system - one veteran gamer who only plays BASIC was thrilled with the simplicity of the rules (he and I were the oldest fellers there and it was good to have his wisdom of game mechanics).

Instead of playing Dwarven Glory or any specific C&C module, I converted N5 - Under Illefarn and went with it. Much fun! We are going to meet once a month either at the store or in homes. Two players drove over an hour (from North Myrtle Beach) to the store and we might alternate locations to save them the trip each month.

Here are the players holding their C&C materials and prizes:

All of them completed the TLG cards and are signed up for the newsletter. Thanks Trollords for a great demo experience! C&C rocks!
Winter is coming...

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Thanks so much, hedgeknight. This is how I had hoped The HV would be used. We really appreciate you using it as intended (I'm looking at you everyone else who ordered one...).

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Looks like a happy bunch. Good for you!

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

AGNKim wrote:
Thanks so much, hedgeknight. This is how I had hoped The HV would be used. We really appreciate you using it as intended (I'm looking at you everyone else who ordered one...).

Had such a good time, I'm thinking about running a game at MACE in November. Got a sealed copy of Tainted Lands for a prize - figure that might be nice for players to have. If I decide to run a game, can I get a few more handouts for the players? With permission, I made two extra copies of the basic rules for the demo and I still have one so...with permission I can make more or you can send me a few.

I'll keep you posted on that.

-g-
Winter is coming...

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

And the best part of that picture?

One of them is holding up 'A Trick on the Tain' !!

I'm still waiting for my Harbinger set for some demoing goodness (up to now I have had to make do without). I was approved for the set and also placed an order a few days later (before Trollcon) and ordered a bunch of stuff. I suggested, in order to save the Trolls a bit of postage, to feel free to pack it all in the same box if there was room. They were going to try. The Harbinger and another item I ordered were missing from my package I received a week (or so ago).

I sent Steve an email and, hopefully he'll see it soon enough!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Heruka

Post by Heruka »

Very cool - good work Hedgeknight

And props to that guy with the copy of Trick on the Tain too - he beat me to getting a printed copy!

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

Heruka wrote:

And props to that guy with the copy of Trick on the Tain too - he beat me to getting a printed copy!

His name is Chuck ("Hywaywolf" on Dragonsfoot) and he's an old-timer like me. He prefers BASIC and was very surprised how easy C&C was to play. He and most of the other players are juiced to play at least once a month, maybe more.
Winter is coming...

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'm having SerlCon -1 this weekend, and will be using the Variant to kick some Crusading booty.

Benoist
Hlobane Orc

Re: The Harbinger Variant -- Demoing C&C

Post by Benoist »

serleran wrote:
This should get more attention...
http://www.trolllord.com/cnc/8122.html

Interesting concept!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Heruka wrote:

Hmm... I should be talking to John in the near future (possibly in the next couple of days). I'll make sure I ask him about that.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Heruka

Post by Heruka »

Thanks Pat - I know John's had a lot on lately, so no pressure - I'd just like to hold the print copy, you know, make it real for myself and all that!

And here's shooting for some rich pickings all round at SerlCon1 (is that anything like DefCon1, I wonder?)

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

moriarty777 wrote:
I'm still waiting for my Harbinger set for some demoing goodness (up to now I have had to make do without). I was approved for the set...

I was approved last June but still haven't seen one. At first I got some e-mails from Kim asking if I'd gotten it, then my last couple of e-mail reminders to the Trolls have gone unanswered. I'm thinking that I got excommunicated and nobody told me...

Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society

C&C Playtester in 2003
OD&D player since 1975
Marv / Finarvyn
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

finarvyn wrote:
I was approved last June but still haven't seen one. At first I got some e-mails from Kim asking if I'd gotten it, then my last couple of e-mail reminders to the Trolls have gone unanswered. I'm thinking that I got excommunicated and nobody told me...

Steve has a lot going on at the moment. I'd give him a jingle and inquire.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

finarvyn wrote:

Hey fin... just responded to your email. If TLG did everything flawlessly, people would start expecting it (and we can't have that). Seems you were the lucky one chosen by fate this time to keep our imperfect record intact. Congratulations! (I have sent another email to Steve and our shipping people to follow up. Something good should come of it. Our apologies.)

And while we are on the subject (which isn't that odd since we are in The Harbinger's Variant forum), I would like to recognize our very own Hedgeknight. He has returned his feedback cards to our offices (which is the real reason we started this promotion in the first place). There will be some 'Thank You' sent his way via the Glorious Troll Lord Games Head Office (as yet to be determined). While this is a good thing, and something TLG is grateful for, it does highlight the fact that, of all the HVs we sent out gratis, we have received feedback cards from just one person. (These are the things that make us sad at TLG... that and Justin Beiber). If you have an HV that we sent to you and you haven't had the feedback cards filled out and returned, we'd really appreciate that you do so. If you DID have them filled out and sent back, send me an email stating "Hey! I sent some feedback cards back!" and I'll check into it.

Thanks for reading,

Kim

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

Aw shucks...I'm speechless
Winter is coming...

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Anyone else using this? I made good use of it last weekend with much success.

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Hoping that Harvinger arrives soon (Steve said it would be with my order, which is currently slowed due to the CKG) because a new game store opened up about 15 minutes from my house and I'm hoping to run a demo. (They don't stock C&C yet, but they will! They just don't know it yet. :lol: )
Marv / Finarvyn

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

finarvyn wrote:Hoping that Harvinger arrives soon (Steve said it would be with my order, which is currently slowed due to the CKG) because a new game store opened up about 15 minutes from my house and I'm hoping to run a demo. (They don't stock C&C yet, but they will! They just don't know it yet. :lol: )
Wow . . a new game store!!

What's it like? I know you know of Fantasy ? ahh, whatever that game store chain is with one in Frankfort, one in Orland and another one somewhere. I think I mentioned that I tried to support them, but they were rude and had no interest in discussing my gaming preferences (which is fine, because it's so much cheaper online).

I know there is a new game store in Lake Geneva, that I hear is pretty good. Hope to check it out next month.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Rhuvein wrote:Wow . . a new game store!!

What's it like? I know you know of Fantasy ? ahh, whatever that game store chain is with one in Frankfort, one in Orland and another one somewhere. I think I mentioned that I tried to support them, but they were rude and had no interest in discussing my gaming preferences (which is fine, because it's so much cheaper online).
They're called FAIR GAME and are in downtown Downers Grove, so I think about 45 minutes to the north of you.

They are a little more expensive than online, but have to deal with a rather steep rent as I understand it. They don't carry much product yet (they have a decent selection of family games and board games but not many RPGs) because they are trying to gauge the market before investing too much. (One of the owners worked at the bookstore that used to be in almost that same location a few years ago, and I think he saw how much stuff was unsold when the bookstore closed.)

Certainly, their inventory is nowhere as nice as Games Plus and at the moment not as extensive as Amazing Fantasy. But they are helpful and have offered to order anything I can't find on the shelf.

I think that their biggest selling point may be that they cater to family environment gaming. They have some game tables in the store and encourage folks to sign up to play. I think they have a weekly Pathfinder campaign going as well as a weekly Gamma World game. They also do game previews and such, and they had a not-yet-released board game last weekend that they were demo-ing where you could save 10% if you liked it enough to preorder.

Every time I've stopped in I've seen one of the guys showing kids or families how to play one game or another, and they seem pretty patient. I guess the key for me is that they are trying hard and they are by far the closest game store to where I live. They are nice guys and I figure I'll try to support them as best as I can for a while, as long as their prices don't go wacky.

And with luck I can spread the word about the Crusade. The C&C rules are (to me) at least as fun as Pathfinder and a lot easier for a novice to learn.
Marv / Finarvyn

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

finarvyn wrote:Hoping that Harvinger arrives soon (Steve said it would be with my order, which is currently slowed due to the CKG) because a new game store opened up about 15 minutes from my house and I'm hoping to run a demo. (They don't stock C&C yet, but they will! They just don't know it yet. :lol: )
Well, first the good news: My big order came in yesterday and now I'm the proud owner of 4th Crusade hardbacks of the PH, M&T and CKG! :)

The bad news is the box came without Harbinger Variant. Sigh. :cry:
Marv / Finarvyn

timburns
Ulthal

Post by timburns »

@finarvyn- Steve gets swamped with all this stuff; he probably just forgot. I'll talk to him and see where we are with it and make sure you get it, okay? Thx, Tim

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Oh, I'm a pretty patient guy. At this point it's almost like an "in joke" when I look in the mailbox -- nope, not today, either. ;)
Marv / Finarvyn

timburns
Ulthal

Post by timburns »

@finarvyn -- send me a PM with your name and address and email and I'll see what I can do on Thursday when I'm down there.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Are the Trolls still dishing out this stuff? I'm running another event and could use a restock of the character sheet/rule booklets things.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Frost wrote:Are the Trolls still dishing out this stuff? I'm running another event and could use a restock of the character sheet/rule booklets things.
Sadly, no. It was a rousing failure in that we got almost no feedback cards returned to us. However, the QSR (for 2010) are available as PDFs here: http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs ... artpdf.pdf

Kim

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

That's a shame. Folks I ran were pretty stoked about the free handouts. But I think in this age of email and such, folks don't like filling out cards. Just a thought... perhaps some sort of reward for con players that post a message on Facebook or something?