Shipping This Week {01-12-09} TLG 8502 Arms & Armor

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I don't have the books in front of me Grey, but I'm pretty sure that's the deal - the AC of the Helmet applies to the head directly. I would also allow for a penalty, also, as ot make the head too easy to hit. Instead of a penalty to hit, the normal AC could be base to have the helmet added to to make up for a penalty (they may hae this covered, I don't have my books with me )

I failed to notice the missing plate entries...is that the same as "coat of plates" Steve mentioned a few posts back? If so, they are aware of it and I think they are going to errata it.

Glad you like it!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

I may be missing it, but there is no guidance concerning helms and total AC (although a couple of entries do specifically mention 'head hits' so it's not difficult to extrapolate).

The 'missing' bit is definitely in plate mail - may be another errata
D.

P.S. must point out that these are minor points, this book is great overall!!!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

This release really had the potential of being a smashingly good supplement, but it is indeed too short. Arms & Armor was well written, and the ideas inside are exactly what TLG needed to add to the C&C line IMO, but there is just so much more that could have gone into this product. If this book was larger, with pictures for every item, and a hardback book, I think this book would be one of the hottest selling items for TLG.

As this product stands now it's got the goods and is worth the price of admission for sure, but for me left me wanting so much MORE! I also think the organization of this book could have been adjusted a little better to make Arms & Armor easier to read (each piece of equipment with it's own heading, block shaded or soemthing like that with the pictures consistantly above or below the description of the item).

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:

This release really had the potential of being a smashingly good supplement, but it is indeed too short. Arms & Armor was well written, and the ideas inside are exactly what TLG needed to add to the C&C line IMO, but there is just so much more that could have gone into this product. If this book was larger, with pictures for every item, and a hardback book, I think this book would be one of the hottest selling items for TLG.

As this product stands now it's got the goods and is worth the price of admission for sure, but for me left me wanting so much MORE! I also think the organization of this book could have been adjusted a little better to make Arms & Armor easier to read (each piece of equipment with it's own heading, block shaded or soemthing like that with the pictures consistantly above or below the description of the item).

-O

As much as I like A&A, I do agree with the esteemed Mr. Omote on this. It had the potential of being a blockbuster. And it is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but Omote's 2nd paragraph is how I feel about the product. Especially the part about wanting more!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Grey wrote:
I may be missing it, but there is no guidance concerning helms and total AC (although a couple of entries do specifically mention 'head hits' so it's not difficult to extrapolate).

The 'missing' bit is definitely in plate mail - may be another errata
D.

P.S. must point out that these are minor points, this book is great overall!!!

The definitive line on helms and AC is a little hard to find - it's directly under the Helms table in the equipment section on page 41 of the PHB (3rd printing). This states explicitly that helms only adjust AC for strikes to the head and have no other effect on AC.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

CKDad,

Thanks for the clarification - I only have 1st printing of the Players Handbook which (as far as I can tell) doesn't give specifics for helms - makes sense though! (As an aside, this is makking me wonder what other clarifications are in later editions of the books.......)

Also, I must agree with Omote and Dynel in that the book just makes me want MORE!!!!!!
Cheers

D.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

*chants* More! More! More!

And absolutely. If this was expanded out to a full blown weapons/arms/gear book it would be a must-have.

And by 'gear' I don't mean "Willy Worm's Magical Potion for Sea Sickness" but very tightly along the lines of what the Arms & Armor guide is now. A good close to historical list of kit used by folks on campaign.

sieg

Post by sieg »

Glad everyone liked it... The reason plate is so lightly touched on in the book as the 12th-13th century was my cutoff point and historians disagree (imagine that!) about the exact date of plate mail, but most agree its later.

Maybe TLG could (aftr the second CGAA is out) re-release them in a single book format?

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

sieg wrote:
Glad everyone liked it... The reason plate is so lightly touched on in the book as the 12th-13th century was my cutoff point and historians disagree (imagine that!) about the exact date of plate mail, but most agree its later.

Maybe TLG could (aftr the second CGAA is out) re-release them in a single book format?

A single book format would be great, as long as the dates for each weapon and armor type, were well noted in the descriptions or in tables. So a CK running an early middle-ages campaign would find it easy to ignore the later stuff.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society