Nicole's Art Thread. ^___^

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
nikkigurlie89

Nicole's Art Thread. ^___^

Post by nikkigurlie89 »

So i got to pick up Castles and Crusades this weekend at ConDFW in Dallas. Met Peter Bradley ^_^ and that of course was a blast. My friend Mars and I stood there talking to him about the system for an hour. He told me if i showed him He would give me an honest opinion of my art, and I am always open to new ideas and critiquing. Now all i have to do is finish my drawing of my new C&C character from the game we played this weekend. ANyway, my style ranges from the realistic portraits of friends, to doodles of people i see, I do anime, disney, DND characters lots of different varients. What do you all think?

My DND group from a trip to Omaha, NB a couple of weeks ago. I was the halfelf rouge fighter I really liked her character.

A doodle from my old job when i was working as a waitress.

An elf from an FR campaign. It was drawn on scrap paper but it's about book mark size, drawn with pen then colored with copics. It was one of my first pieces so i didn't do very well. but i am still learning.

I have learned more of the copics a little later. This is a present for a friend, who loves the newest Saga of Macross (Macross Frontier) ^__^

The Dirty Pair (an early 90s anime). Drawn for a callendar of mind and colored in photoshop.

My signature DND character Galatea, It's done in open canvas, sketched drawn and colored in about 40 minutes. which is why there is no shading or anything
more dnd characters, drawn on paper, colored in PS.

An Uzzeil From battle tech. i forgot to touch it up in PS before i uploaded it. Whoops ^_^

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Great stuff. Welcome to C&C, welcome to the forums too. Keep posting your art!

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Nicole's Art Thread. ^___^

Post by gideon_thorne »

I really dig the detail, and the line quality, in that first one.

But before I offer up any commentary at length, do you have anything in more traditional styles that's not quite so anime? Not that the style isn't cool. But I'm curious about what else you can do.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yeah, very distinct anime influence in all the pieces, though the second one is my favorite of these. Crisp clear lines, as Peter said.

If you can do more of those robots, I might have a need to commission some work....

nikkigurlie89

Post by nikkigurlie89 »

I have to do a little more looking through my numerous sketch books for a few more realism pieces. I do tend to do more portraits realism when i do go for the "realistic". But here are a few pieces i have found.

Christmas present for my father. It's a picture of my little brother.

Not quite realism, but this also isn't solely mine. It was a collaboration with my girlfriend. We did a couple of the party members in this style. She would sketch it, and I cleaned it up and colored it in photoshop.

This is a fairly old piece, about two years ago. And even the face isn't quite realistic, but it was my first attempt at ever shading in the hopes of getting something less anime looking. I realise the anatomy in the arms is a bit wonky. I would like to imagine my anatomy has improved in the last two years.....

Probably the most realistic in the group >_>

one of my favorite comedians, I was watching one of his shows and useing an old picture of him i drew him in open canvas.

I will look for more of realistic art work, and if I cannot find any well i will simply doodle some more to post and show you.

nikkigurlie89

Post by nikkigurlie89 »

serleran wrote:
If you can do more of those robots, I might have a need to commission some work....

Yes I do robots. I have the most practice with things from the Robotech Universe, as well as the battle tech universe as those are what my friends and I play. But I would be willing to talk further about what type of robot you would like to see, or i can PM or post more of them if you are curious

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, these would be wholly new and original, because they'd be for a game of mine... so, naturally, you'd be compensated for allowing me to use them, but they would have to not be "something else." I'd like to see more robots, though. Not enough of those on these boards.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

My figure drawing instructor was also a fellow who was fond of comic books. He mentioned to the class, at one point, that the best way to learn figure construction is from the same methods that most comic artists use to put together basic anatomy. This includes certain base figure measurements as to height and proportion. This doesn't substitute for cornering someone and having them model for you, but it does help in setting up the basic composition.

To that end, and I don't remember if I mentioned it over the weekend, I'd recommend picking up Stan Lee's "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book. That particular book has the most comprehensive set of basic drawing instructions from objects to people, to perspective, to composition I've ever seen.

Its clearly obvious that your work is showing technical and quality improvement. The rest of it is just practice. Learn by doing, as often as ya can, and any subject matter that comes to mind.

Oh, and finding models is easy. Ren Faire people looooove to model. ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

nikkigurlie89

Post by nikkigurlie89 »

Thanks Peter I will go out and look for that book sometime and try to find it. I have only ever used stock artwork off of Deviantart, since it is where i do post my art.

And renfest people are a lot of fun, but normally I take them for the photography aspect. Using them for the art aspect is cool tool. Thanks for the advise.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

nikkigurlie89 wrote:
Thanks Peter I will go out and look for that book sometime and try to find it. I have only ever used stock artwork off of Deviantart, since it is where i do post my art.

Oh, finding that book isn't hard. Its in the art section of any major chain bookstore. ^_^

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Very nice stuff. I especially like the D&D Omaha group drawing.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Grendel T. Troll
Ungern

Post by Grendel T. Troll »

Well, whenever I ran or played a D&D game, I always pictured it to be an anime/manga world.

When I play Traveller, I think more like American comics.
Harnmaster, OTOH, reminds me of Vallejo.....

Definitely keep the art coming!
Registered Linux Minion #299419
Pathfinder RPG Advocate and C&C Acolyte

C&C Society: Sir Grendel of the Troll Lands
www.cncsociety.org
Famous Last Words: "Can I have a succubus for a familiar?"
Registered Linux Minion #299419
Pathfinder RPG Advocate and C&C Acolyte

C&C Society: Sir Grendel of the Troll Lands
http://www.cncsociety.org
Famous Last Words: "Can I have a succubus for a familiar?"

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

Great stuff! I really like the first one of the adventuring group.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson