Upper Works Maps

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
serleran
Mogrl

Upper Works Maps

Post by serleran »

How many maps are supposed to be in the box set?

I am seeing reports of 3 and 4, so, naturally, people are concerned they have "incomplete" versions.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Re: Upper Works Maps

Post by moriarty777 »

serleran wrote:
How many maps are supposed to be in the box set?

I am seeing reports of 3 and 4, so, naturally, people are concerned they have "incomplete" versions.

I'd have to look when I get home but weren't they also double-sided?

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

Post by Galadrin »

I believe there are 3 in the first run, 4 in the later boxes. The ones sold at GenCon have the two black and white (single-sided) Castle Zagyg area maps (one for above ground, one for below) and the double-sided Castle Zagyg environs map (featuring the Old Castle Track, with encounter numbers on one side for the DM). The later boxes featured these, and also a colour Castle Zagyg area map (just the below ground area, and none of the Store Room dungeon) which was included with the Mouths of Madness adventure found in the East Mark Gazetteer.

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Galadrin wrote:
I believe there are 3 in the first run, 4 in the later boxes. The ones sold at GenCon have the two black and white (single-sided) Castle Zagyg area maps (one for above ground, one for below) and the double-sided Castle Zagyg environs map (featuring the Old Castle Track, with encounter numbers on one side for the DM). The later boxes featured these, and also a colour Castle Zagyg area map (just the below ground area, and none of the Store Room dungeon) which was included with the Mouths of Madness adventure found in the East Mark Gazetteer.

This is precisely so. I actually think the fourth map should not be in there as it could cause confusion (there was a renumbering of an encounter area from the folio version to the boxed set) and because it is a bit redundant. Otherwise, it's a neat looking map by PB, but I prefer the B&W one for use as a gaming utility.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Did TLG add the extra map due to the cropping error that occurred with the boxed set's map of the Castle?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Did TLG add the extra map due to the cropping error that occurred with the boxed set's map of the Castle?

I think it had more to do with having more complete info in one box for those who didn't get the folio.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So, the "1st print" GenCon editions have fewer maps, or one that are "damaged" in some way, like being cropped or whatever?

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

serleran wrote:
So, the "1st print" GenCon editions have fewer maps, or one that are "damaged" in some way, like being cropped or whatever?

Dang... I only have a rare 2nd print then.
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

moriarty777 wrote:
Dang... I only have a rare 2nd print then.

Couldn't you just burn one of the maps and convince everyone that it was the 3-map 1st printing?

Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society

C&C Playtester in 2003
OD&D player since 1975
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975