View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Sage advice for artists.... or anyone really. 
Maukling

Post Sage advice for artists.... or anyone really.
Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect. But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please--this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time--and squawk for more! So learn to say No--and to be rude about it when necessary. Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you. (This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)

And this

If you happen to be one of the fretful minority who can do creative work, never force an idea; you'll abort it if you do. Be patient and you'll give birth to it when the time is ripe. Learn to wait.

From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long (Heinlein)

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 pm
Clang lives!

I should pass this on to the Mrs. She often has trouble saying no and foing things that are expected of her. Good food for thought. Thanks Pete.

R-

My Game Threads

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 am
Hlobane Orc

I could say the exact same thing about my little bundle of joy!

Can say no to me....but not other needy people! She manages a charity shop, and spends the entire day running around dealing with other peoples problems! Whether its scraping up their squashed dead cat off the road, or dropping them to hospital......she's there! She has also personally adopted lots of old people, run's chores for them, shopping, etc. The flip side is, all her joints ache, she is getting artritis from all the activity, she never stops? I keep telling her to think of herself once in a while? And then there's the free phone therapy sessions.......*sigh* I get roped into it too, occasionally....but I from a male standpoint can see who is taking the piss! I'm considering bludgeoning her to death, and wearing her skin to Sunday Church-meet!

3-headed Blog

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 am
Mogrl

Abraham Lincoln wrote:
The key question isn't "What fosters creativity?" But it is why in God's name isn't everyone creative? Where was the human potential lost? How was it crippled? I think therefore a good question might be not why do people create? But why do people not create or innovate? We have got to abandon that sense of amazement in the face of creativity, as if it were a miracle if anybody created anything.

But, this one I like more:

Quote:
Edwin Land wrote:
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]