The New Covers (PHB, M&T)

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Akrasia

The New Covers (PHB, M&T)

Post by Akrasia »

I think that I may have posted my opinions of the new C&C covers in the wrong forum. So here they are again!
My reactions:

1. The dark green is rather unappealing.

2. The new M&T illustration looks cool!

3. Why the *$%@ is a 4e D&D Tiefling on the cover of the PHB? (Seriously, that seems insane. Why mimic the 4e covers when tieflings aren't even a playable race in C&C? I don't get it...) I much prefer the old PHB cover!

(All IMO, of course.)

For the record, I generally like Peter's art. His covers for the booklets in the CZ:UW box set are among my favourite FRPG illustrations in the last ten years. I just think that the cover of the PHB is, um, 'problematic' in conveying what C&C is about.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I like the green colors of the books a great deal. Overall the color choices for the art and the design are ideal. While I certainly like the artwork for both books, the PHB artwork does seem... um... I'm not sure, but it seems not exactly right for a PHB in my opinion. The M&T art I understand, but there is something not very representative of player characters in the new PHB piece.

However, as noted in the PHB4 thread in the above forum, there is a whole story behind the artwork used for the PHB4. And in a sense, that makes the chosen artwork quite cool.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Plus the "green" is supposed to turn out brown/sand colored, is it not? Like I said in the other thread, I prefer the new color of the garish McDonalds red and gold colors they had before.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

No the green is supposed to turn out green.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Putrid or forest?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Putrid or forest?

Yes.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sweet. Just what I always wanted.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Computer monitors are notorious for not repreenting print colors accurately, or so I'm told by those wiht a clue.

Peter?

I'm not sure I care much about the covers as long as the books have peter's art of women in them.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Relaxo wrote:
Computer monitors are notorious for not repreenting print colors accurately, or so I'm told by those wiht a clue.

Peter?

I'm not sure I care much about the covers as long as the books have peter's art of women in them.

The covers are supposed to be a kind of leaf or olive greenish. And ya, different monitors will show up the colours in odd ways. It takes me forever to calibrate monitor colours to my printer.

Peter Bradley