[HH] Black Libram of Nartarus

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
Omote
Battle Stag

[HH] Black Libram of Nartarus

Post by Omote »

I picked up this sourcebook over the weekend. It's pretty neat, and JAM PACKED with stuff for your Haunted Highlands game. Some of the spells make this product very mich like a "Book of Vile Darkness" for your HH games, and that is great! Wow, some spells are devestating! Material components are important again, and that's a good thing for such vile spells.

What I really like the most about this small sourcebook is the new mosnters section. It's laid out very nice, and makes me think that there could be a Black Libram II at some point.
For the price, great (and terrible) things are going to infect your Haunted Highlands, or any C&C game.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'll have to pick this up soon.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I think I will be holding off on purchases until after GenCon. I'll try and squirrel away some cash into my savings in the meanwhile.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Like Tree, I may have to hold off on some purchases until/after GenCon. I've got a few things in my box at my FLGS, but other than that I may have to slow down until the Con, or I'll make my budget.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I am still looking and waiting for the PDF copy.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I'm waiting to make a 'sizable' order before I get this (if I order straight from TLG) or for it to show up at one of my local stores or online retailers I frequent and order from regularly.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

What mort said. I am considering downsizing my buying until during or after GenCon, but if my FLGS orders it, I'll pick it up. I've been pulling teeth with the guy to get CnC stuff in. I bought Arms and Armor directly, but my FLGS got it in, rather quickly (to my suprise). I felt bad, but I tried to explain that if they were consistant, I'd be buying more from them.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Lord Dynel wrote:
What mort said. I am considering downsizing my buying until during or after GenCon, but if my FLGS orders it, I'll pick it up. I've been pulling teeth with the guy to get CnC stuff in. I bought Arms and Armor directly, but my FLGS got it in, rather quickly (to my suprise). I felt bad, but I tried to explain that if they were consistant, I'd be buying more from them.

Hehe... the same sort of thing happened with Towers of Adventure. I had started ordering the stuff through the store since I found they weren't necessarily aware of what is coming out (or when) since the demand isn't on the same scale as other products but I made a point to ordering the GenCon releases (StarSiege, UW, and ToA) at the beginning of the September. When I found out that ToA wouldn't make an appearance till the end of 2008 as far as distribution went, I canceled and ordered it direct.

About a month or so ago, they call me to say that they brought this in if I was interested. I guess it pays to be a good customer. Last time I went in, it was still on the shelves and it is currently the ONLY C&C product on the shelves. They put the limited other stuff they had on sale and I'm happy to say that someone other than myself has been buying it up.

The store is aware of the new trade dress for C&C and will probably be ordering some other stuff for it in the near future. I just hope the new PHB is available before Free RPG day. It looks like I will be a sucker again and run a C&C demo on the day in question. It would be nice to have the new books available before then.

M

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Bowbe rarely disappoints.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Thanks Omote for the kind words!

I just got my printed copy today as well and Peter indeed managed to stuff the book with content, far beyond anything I could have imagined. Of course I should prepare myself for that because I get surprised quite often in this business.

I did notice a typo in a raichee spell where it has like (x) where (x) is supposed to read plague. Woops!

Bottom line, from any game company on the planet other than TLG this book would have been artificially stretched to 48 pages with charges passed on to you in the neighborhood of 18 bucks!

Steve, Peter and the gang manage to get it to 35 for $10. Sweet deal. Thats some economic stimulus I can get behind.

C.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Raichee? I hope that is not pronounced like reiki... an actual real-world alternate medicine thing.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Naw... I pronounce it Ree Ah Chee don't know where i dreamed it up. Could have been lifting names from babble my kid made when she was 2.

C.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Heh, those little things do give inspiration, I hear. Cool tidbit. Thanks.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I'm planning to order both this and the new M&T via my FLGS to try and get Castles & Crusades (and TLG in general) on their radar. It may be an uphill battle, but figure it can't hurt to try.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

CKDad wrote:
I'm planning to order both this and the new M&T via my FLGS to try and get Castles & Crusades (and TLG in general) on their radar. It may be an uphill battle, but figure it can't hurt to try.

Fastest way to do that is to send Steve their phone number. He'll give em a call and set up some product coming their way.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Bowbe wrote:
Bottom line, from any game company on the planet other than TLG this book would have been artificially stretched to 48 pages with charges passed on to you in the neighborhood of 18 bucks!

Steve, Peter and the gang manage to get it to 35 for $10. Sweet deal. Thats some economic stimulus I can get behind.

TLG always gives you a lot bang for your bucket. All killer, no filler.

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Frost wrote:
TLG always gives you a lot bang for your bucket. All killer, no filler.

Yeah....that.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Fastest way to do that is to send Steve their phone number. He'll give em a call and set up some product coming their way.

I think these guys are going to be more amenable to a ground-up approach - seeing people vote with their wallets by purchasing the stuff, rather than yet another game company trying to get a piece of their attention and shelf-space. Though I do intend to talk to the owner about chatting with the Trolls at GenCon, and will certainly put them in touch if he's amenable beforehand.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

CKDad wrote:
I think these guys are going to be more amenable to a ground-up approach - seeing people vote with their wallets by purchasing the stuff, rather than yet another game company trying to get a piece of their attention and shelf-space. Though I do intend to talk to the owner about chatting with the Trolls at GenCon, and will certainly put them in touch if he's amenable beforehand.

I gave Steve the number of my FLGS some time ago, but I don't know if he ever made contact with them. I had been wearing down the guy at the FLGS for some time, and he finally broke down and ordered a sizable order of C&C stuff. He seems to be having a hard time ordering more, though. Not on a distribution end, just his own hang ups, it seems. If he gets a Black Libram in, I'll pick it up, but I don't know if he will if I don't hound him about it.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

I feel you guys with your FLGS's. I've had my own turn of troubles getting stuff stocked that I've worked on. I had a guy once who tried like hell to sell me a copy of slayers guide to centaurs because some girl he knew helped write it, but wouldn't order stuff I was doing with Necromancer games because he didn't care for white wolf. This went on with a variety of his personal hangups and what have you ad nauseum.

Though I tried like hell to be nice for several years I finally gave it up and moved on and happily spend my money elsewhere. Not that they care. They manage just fine now making most of their money selling snacks of all things, to people playing the various warhammer games. Chips and sodas evidently keep the lights on.

I could go in and get the foam inserts for army transport bags there for much less than I could order them online for but why bother? Same with glue or paint. I'm actually willing to spend the extra 2-10 dollars ordering my own gamer crack online then dealing with all the added hassle. Sad huh?

Luckily there are other places, other employees, and an occassional friendly ear willing to hear you out and who aren't worried about you being a "true believer" of some game system they never heard of and can't get "collectibles" money out of.

C.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Heck, when I first moved here I was still interested in buying 3E stuff, but my LGS wouldn't stock any Goodman or Necromancer.White Wolf, or Kenzer products. He said they wouldn't sell. He offered to special order for me, I said no thanks, its faster and more convenient for me to just order it on line and have it delivered to my house instead. Not to mention almost always significantly cheaper.

With the convenience of online, and the extra features starting to appear that allow you to check out products in a virtual 3-D manner, I see store fronts going the way of the Dodo bird in the next 10 to 20 years.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

I just got this, and quite like it! I really like the way that necromancers are handled by the book -- any spellcasting class can become a necromancer. That should make for a nicely varied set of antagonists for the PCs.

The book isn't just for the HH, and can be used easily in any fantasy setting. In fact, you could use it with other FRPGs (0e D&D, Basic D&D, 1e AD&D, etc.), as well as C&C.

My only complaint: the woman on the cover looks quite weird (turn the cover 90 degrees and you'll see what I mean).

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Oh, name of missing spell someone pointed out (Missing spell name that is)...

I believe it's summon vampire, call vampire, or vampiric pact LOL.
whichever you like. We could vote on it.

C>

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Vampiric Pact. Vote in.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

There's only one solution to the cover art problem. Don't turn the cover 90 degree's.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I just stopped in my FLGS to pick up some minis. I figured I'd take a look to see if any TLG stuff was around, and sure enough, there was the Black Libram. I tried calling the Trolls last week to order and couldn't get through, so when I saw it, I picked it up. I also made a point of telling the owner that if he was going to stock it, I'd pick it up through him (I'll even forego my society discount). He sounded pleased. Hopefully I'll start seeing more C&C stuff there.

So far, so good. I'm liking what I'm seeing. I need to get further into it (more in depth instead of the quick perusal it got when I came home), but I'm really enjoying this. I'm seeing some definite possibilities for story hooks. Well done, Casey! Keep 'em coming. I'll buy them.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

My copy is inbound... I should have it sometime later this week. I ordered it through NKG since I was picking up a couple other items. I look forward to going through it.

Once in, I'll probably start pressuring my FLGS to start supporting C&C once more and get him to order a couple copies of the new M&T and this book too. A shame the new PHB isn't a bit further along though.

Does anyone know if these will be out and in distribution before Free RPG Day?

M

Bowbe
Red Cap

Soooo....

Post by Bowbe »

What's your favorite spell?

Anyone totally f'ed up a party of adventurers with any of the gems from this book yet?

C.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Haven't used a one of them yet. Looking forward at some point as I have been a "must used weird and different spells" kick.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Hybban

Post by Hybban »

I think that this Libram mixed in with the Tainted Lands I received this week will be a total killer... I love dark gloomy things
Hyb'