Vendor - Client Relationship

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
jaybird216
Lore Drake

Vendor - Client Relationship

Post by jaybird216 »

I figured you might like this, Peter. Someone posted it at the freelancers' section on RPG.net.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSg ... r_embedded

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Vendor - Client Relationship

Post by gideon_thorne »

*smiles* I was just pondering making a sign I can hang at my art booth anywhere I set up.

"Money is the sincerest form of flattery. Artists love to be flattered. Flatter us a lot."

Sure, it's nice to hear various versions of 'attaboy' from people. But if folks like our work so much, buy something.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Price has to be reasonable. $50 for a print is not, unless you're some damn awful famous artist and its a limited number of them.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Price has to be reasonable. $50 for a print is not, unless you're some damn awful famous artist and its a limited number of them.

*chuckles* Dude, no one has more reasonable prices than I do. In fact, I get folks who express shock about how low my prices are. But that makes no difference when people seem to have no money.

I get that, I really do. But, like the video above, I get frustrated when folks spend an hour talking to me, but don't buy anything. ^_^

Oh.. and $50 for a print is very reasonable, especially if its 16x20 or larger. Cause it costs more to make at that size.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Hence the Taco House/Filet debate, Serl. I bet those damn awful famous artists get it all the time. "But, Joe McNoName only charges $XX for an open edition print of the exact same size. It's the same thing!"

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

One of my co-workers here at the agency particularly liked "OK, we'll pay, but show us how you made it so that we can do it at home next time". We get that a lot. One client even bought a copy of Adobe Illustrator so that she could make her own ads/collateral, but calls us constantly with questions on how to use the software. I'm glad I went to school for 4 years

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

jaybird216 wrote:
One of my co-workers here at the agency particularly liked "OK, we'll pay, but show us how you made it so that we can do it at home next time". We get that a lot. One client even bought a copy of Adobe Illustrator so that she could make her own ads/collateral, but calls us constantly with questions on how to use the software. I'm glad I went to school for 4 years

Jeez! Sounds like you would need councelling yourself, after putting up with clients like that!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Just a cuddle, Andrew. All I need is a cuddle.

marjasall

Post by marjasall »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Oh.. and $50 for a print is very reasonable, especially if its 16x20 or larger. Cause it costs more to make at that size.

He's right. I've worked many many years for a few different printers in my life, in-house, and they charge alot. I've seen single 18x 24 prints go for $60 a print - and I'm talking just digital, which is typically cheaper than litho - and that $60 is just the printer's cost to the client. An artist could not mark that up any further and have any success selling it. So $50 from the artist is very reasonable for that size - especially if they hand-sign it.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

marjasall wrote:
He's right. I've worked many many years for a few different printers in my life, in-house, and they charge alot. I've seen single 18x 24 prints go for $60 a print - and I'm talking just digital, which is typically cheaper than litho - and that $60 is just the printer's cost to the client. An artist could not mark that up any further and have any success selling it. So $50 from the artist is very reasonable for that size - especially if they hand-sign it.

Course, the trick today is to get ones own 17x22 printer.

Peter Bradley

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, if the print is larger than a wallet size, then naturally the price would be commensurate. That I was not arguing. However, if its some little thing, like a 6 x 9 or whatever... no, I won't be paying $50 for it, most likely, even if its color -- I'd better absolutely love it.

But, yeah, I do agree with supporting artists -- their best way to make money is by selling prints, or, so I hear.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Well, if the print is larger than a wallet size, then naturally the price would be commensurate. That I was not arguing. However, if its some little thing, like a 6 x 9 or whatever... no, I won't be paying $50 for it, most likely, even if its color -- I'd better absolutely love it.

But, yeah, I do agree with supporting artists -- their best way to make money is by selling prints, or, so I hear.

Its one of the better ways. But the best way for any artist to make money is in licensing. Shirts, mugs, postcards, ect.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Peter's prices are damn good, no doubt. BUT Pete, your originals are um, expensive. Which they have every right to be. But that always pushes them outside of my price range. *boo-boo lip*

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
Peter's prices are damn good, no doubt. BUT Pete, your originals are um, expensive. Which they have every right to be. But that always pushes them outside of my price range. *boo-boo lip*

-O

Well, that's why I do prints. That way most folks can afford them. Originals take time. In that case its a simple time = dollars equation.

Peter Bradley

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I still haven't received that cuddle.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

One sweathy man cuddle coming right up!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

marjasall

Post by marjasall »

serleran wrote:
However, if its some little thing, like a 6 x 9 or whatever... no, I won't be paying $50 for it, most likely, even if its color -- I'd better absolutely love it.

Ditto. If it's 6x9 for $50, it better be the original.