DB6?

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

DB6?

Post by Frost »

DB 6 is mentioned on the TLG home page, but the link is broken. Any more info on this one?

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

The page is there On the Anvil, just the link in the newsfeed text that's misdirecting...

Goto:
http://www.trolllord.com/cnc/8225.html

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Excellent, thanks.

Baron of the Pitt
The Dungeoneering Dad

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

Hmmm. Not for me this time around. Thanks.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

An underground city, hopefully not predominantly occupied by albino black-face thespians? Count me in.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I'm in too. My players just finished level one of the Crater, so I'm hoping this is released before they reach the end of DB3.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I'm jonesin' for a pre-order button myself.

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

serleran wrote:
An underground city, hopefully not predominantly occupied by albino black-face thespians? Count me in.

Take a closer look at the cover, my friend.

No offense to Mr. Christofferson, but I'm all set on this sort of supplement.

Bring back the THUNE!!!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yeah, more information on the HH setting, above or below ground is appreciated. Looking forward to this release. It's been too long since we last visited Dirty's world.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

I'm about the worst sales person in the world for my own stuff. Don't know why it just is what it is. People who dig my stuff really do and people who don't just don't and that's cool with me too.

The sad state of affairs in the FRPG industry is a fancy "dark elf" on a cover sells more copies of a book than not having them on the cover. I don't particularly like it myself but thats the way it is.

If you liked how DB 4 and 5 are organized you will like this book. If you don't then you won't like DB6.

Am I saying that there aren't dark elves in the book? No. Are they your garden variety spider "queen" worshippers that have been done to death in every supplement known to gaming in the last 30 years? No, regardless of how the cover ended up.

As I have mentioned I'm a horrible salesman. Terrible in fact. Thus I try to stick to the facts of the book as I remember them.

DB6 is tied to DB 2-3 and the (still unreleased HH Karbosk Box Set). Mind you as you all well know a lot of stuff has slid due to a variety of issues the least of which being the CKG).

DB6 has more than a dozen new monsters in it and two new races (that were previewed in one of the more recent crusaders. DB6 ist not designed in the railroad adventure/shotgun dungeon fashion that most crappy new adventures are written in where you have to accomplishing a laundry list of materials to give to the badguy pretending to be a good guy to achieve a goal that leads to a culminating event or earth shaking showdown. It also isn't a plod around mapping and looking for loot adventure. Its an adventurous location. It has NPCs and monsters with motivations and quests for characters to take or ignore as they see fit.

I know, not very good salesmanship, but thats what it's got. So in brief: If you hate new monsters, character races, character classes, subterannean settings, evil under cities, and intelligent enemies who use the characters to serve their diabolical purposes... avoid this book.

If you want a shotgun dungeon that railroads you into a very narrow set of decisions or a "map and loot type dungeon", try another fine product from somebody else .

C.

P.S. Map and loot dungeons are fun, but you have to have something to do between map and loot adventures.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Bowbe wrote:
I'm about the worst sales person in the world for my own stuff. Don't know why it just is what it is. People who dig my stuff really do and people who don't just don't and that's cool with me too.

The sad state of affairs in the FRPG industry is a fancy "dark elf" on a cover sells more copies of a book than not having them on the cover. I don't particularly like it myself but thats the way it is.

If you liked how DB 4 and 5 are organized you will like this book. If you don't then you won't like DB6.

Am I saying that there aren't dark elves in the book? No. Are they your garden variety spider "queen" worshippers that have been done to death in every supplement known to gaming in the last 30 years? No, regardless of how the cover ended up.

As I have mentioned I'm a horrible salesman. Terrible in fact. Thus I try to stick to the facts of the book as I remember them.

DB6 is tied to DB 2-3 and the (still unreleased HH Karbosk Box Set). Mind you as you all well know a lot of stuff has slid due to a variety of issues the least of which being the CKG).

DB6 has more than a dozen new monsters in it and two new races (that were previewed in one of the more recent crusaders. DB6 ist not designed in the railroad adventure/shotgun dungeon fashion that most crappy new adventures are written in where you have to accomplishing a laundry list of materials to give to the badguy pretending to be a good guy to achieve a goal that leads to a culminating event or earth shaking showdown. It also isn't a plod around mapping and looking for loot adventure. Its an adventurous location. It has NPCs and monsters with motivations and quests for characters to take or ignore as they see fit.

I know, not very good salesmanship, but thats what it's got. So in brief: If you hate new monsters, character races, character classes, subterannean settings, evil under cities, and intelligent enemies who use the characters to serve their diabolical purposes... avoid this book.

If you want a shotgun dungeon that railroads you into a very narrow set of decisions or a "map and loot type dungeon", try another fine product from somebody else .

C.

P.S. Map and loot dungeons are fun, but you have to have something to do between map and loot adventures.

You sold me. Now when's it being released?

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

Bowbe wrote:
I'm about the worst sales person in the world for my own stuff. ....

Now I'm listening ...
By the way, who does your product descriptions? I find them to be a tad more informative that some other stuff on the product page.

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

I'm gettin tired of all the dark elf hate. Sure they became prolific but thats because they are delightfully wicked and evil. I don't see this much spite being thrown around when every new fighter type might as well be a Conan clone. I guess its just hip to hate.

"You can wordify anything if you just verb it."-again, Bucky Katt

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

"It's hip to be dwer..... "

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Double sold.

FWIW, Casey, your "map & loot" dungeon is one of the best of it's ilk. Hoping to see some more of the deeper, deeper darkness too!

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

thanks CK, I'll get around to more dungeon crawls eventually. Steve's in-box is pretty full of my stuff right now as it is. I've been busy as heck trying to help out in other ways in the interim.

We got DB6, HH Box set (or whatever we call it), we got the Mass combat rules and a re-investigation of the Kubla Khan adventures for C&C (with some new-ness added into it) and another manuscript that I'm finished with but I really want to go back and do some more work on. I've played through the latter two quite a bit lately and see areas that could really benefit from additional adventures and expansion.

With the Kubla Khan stuff I'm adding some additional areas especially to the last dungeon, and any or all old monsters that were once 3ed monsters have been jettisoned for brand new monsters because... heck I'm sorta sick of conversions. Why re-invent the wheel when there isn opportunity to branch out in new directions.

The last two books are decent sized, probably in the 64 page range when they are all said and done. Either way its a whole lot of product.

C.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I am definately looking forward to DB-6 Bowbe. I have been really impressed with your work. You may not think you are a good saleman, but your work sells itself.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Bowbe, that is why I dig your stuff. I call it the Sandbox Style. Players can ignore or take on or explore what they will. I can just look at them and ask the proverbial question "What do you guys want to do?" It's wide open. Sandbox play can be a little intimidating to new gamemasters and inexperienced players, but for others, is the only way to go. Having the Adventurous Location instead of a railroaded linear adventure can actually be easier in some respects, though, as players can derail a CK quickly by not going along with a major plot device in a linear adventure. That can make a new gamemaster panic for sure. With the Sandbox Style, however, the players can change gears at their leisure without frustrating the CK, which I think lends itself to deeper immersion (and less strangling of players).

As to the dark elf thing, I don't hate them per se, but am tired of them to be sure. That's why I created a different underground menace for my own world, possibly for publication some day soon.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Ahh the Dark Elves...

Post by Bowbe »

I think you will like what I've done with them >
I'm looking forward to this one coming out for a much different reason though. You'll see it when you get it!

C.

Lucifer_Draconus
Hlobane Orc

Post by Lucifer_Draconus »

Dark Elf goodness down with the Drow Haters! LOL I'll look into getting the series as as I can afford to.

RIP Gary Gygax you will be missed.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Finally got my chance to read through this over the first part of the Snowpocalypse. Yowzers, definitely a nasty, evil place! A party consisting solely of goodie-two-shoes types is going to have a rough time just getting around, but hey, the bad guys gotta have their centers of power.

Maybe I missed it, but how far is Ulgakur from the Crater of Umeshti?

capitalbill
Hlobane Orc

Post by capitalbill »

The only mention that I noticed was the nice, leisurely 10 mile swim in the Eibon River from the Crater of Umeshti to Ulgakur (6-16B of DB3 to 23 of DB6).
CKDad wrote:
Finally got my chance to read through this over the first part of the Snowpocalypse. Yowzers, definitely a nasty, evil place! A party consisting solely of goodie-two-shoes types is going to have a rough time just getting around, but hey, the bad guys gotta have their centers of power.

Maybe I missed it, but how far is Ulgakur from the Crater of Umeshti?

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Hahaha. Yeah the 10 mile swim... or if you go through King Skritch's secret passage from DB 1 should deposit the PCs at the Goblins Gate. The distance is still about 4-10 miles depending on the direction you come from but all roads in the Darkness eventually lead to Ulgakur.

Have to wait for the larger map a wee bit longer folks, but I got a great adventure that ties all these cool places together, its just a bit on the back burner while I finalize stuff for the Highlands Gaz and of course Fields of Battle Box!