Castle Zagyg/Greyhawk Dungeon Levels

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Castle Zagyg/Greyhawk Dungeon Levels

Post by Tadhg »

After reading and enjoying Rob Kuntz's Dungeons Sets and thinking about all the great resources available for dungeon creation, I've begun to compile a brief list of stuff that anyone can use to put together their own version of the lower levels of the castle:

OD&D The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures

OD&D Greyhawk Supplement

B1 In Search of the Unknown

B3 Original (with some un-keyed dungeon rooms)

BD&D Holmes Rulebook

AD&D DMG (Appendix A & I)

AD&D Dungeon Master's Design Kit

AD&D Dungeoneer's Survival Guide

Engineering Dungeons - Robert Doyel

Dungeon Sets - Robert Kuntz

The Rising Knight (A0) - Davis Chenault

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge (A1) - Davis Chenault

Hall of Many Panes (Book 1 Pane 10)

I've run 2 OD&D games this year for my group with dungeons I designed from scratch and remember how much fun it is to do this.

So now, I begin my version of CZ/CG!!
[I've probably forgotten resources or don't know about a few, so feel free to post any good material - but not other people's dungeons, as I wish to create my own]

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Central Casting: Dungeons is a pretty nifty resource I only recently picked up. I tend to avoid things of a similar nature when working on my own ideas, so to not get contaminated by them.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:
Central Casting: Dungeons is a pretty nifty resource I only recently picked up. I tend to avoid things of a similar nature when working on my own ideas, so to not get contaminated by them.

Thanks serle. How many pages? It seems to be going for $35 -40 on Amazon resellers or eBay. So hopefully the book has some girth!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, I've reminded myself that, The Rising Knight (A0) and Assault on Blacktooth Ridge (A1) have some fun/interesting dungeon designs (traps & tricks)!

I'll add those to my list.

Dagger
Red Cap

Post by Dagger »

I don't mean to derail, but exactly are Dungeon Sets? I did a search and based on the description I found they seem to be unstocked dungeon maps. Is that accurate?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Rhuvein wrote:
Thanks serle. How many pages? It seems to be going for $35 -40 on Amazon resellers or eBay. So hopefully the book has some girth!

192 pages.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:
192 pages.

Whoa, that is fat! Thanks.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Dagger wrote:
I don't mean to derail, but exactly are Dungeon Sets? I did a search and based on the description I found they seem to be unstocked dungeon maps. Is that accurate?

Hey Rusty, no problemo man.

Let me post a few links . . . Rob/PPP has recently hooked up with Noble Knight Games to sell these sets, but check out these threads for some info:
http://lordofthegreendragons.blogspot.c ... results=10

I can't direct link the info page, but go here and then find "Our Store" under Products on the right side of the page and hit it - then scroll down for info on Dungeon Sets:
http://www.pied-piper-publishing.com/

Hmm, the buy link has been changed. Mebbe you have to buy from NK now.

Checking . . .

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Here we go from NK . . and at a reduced price!!
http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts ... _GenreID_E_

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Cairn of the Skeleton King . . oh yeah ~ great dungeons!!

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

Cairn of the Skeleton King is awesome and I'm very glad to see RJK post that the series will be continued but very slowly. Posted on his thread at DF.

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

Dagger, Dungeon Sets are indeed unkeyed maps. More like an unkeyed dungeon.

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

I started to create my own lower levels to CZ, only made parts of 2 levels.

I planned on using parts of an old dungeon I made in the early 80's.

I also planned on using the AD&D DMG random dungeon tables, Engineering Dungeons and the solo dungeon adventure feature from The Strategic Review vol. 1 no. 1 if needed during play, maybe even in areas that have already been explored.

I think The Bottle City would be something to throw in the mix.

There were some trick/trap ideas in the back of the Greyhawk supplement one which were most likely present in the Castle Greyhawk dungeons.

I made some encounters based on the original edtion illustrations. That was inspired partly by the pumpkin headed bugbear in CZ:UW.

grodog

Post by grodog »

Rhu---

I've got a positive review of The Dungeon Alphabet from Goodman Games in the upcoming Knockspell#4: I think it's a good dungeon creating resource/aid.

I'll have to go digging on my shelves to see what good books I can recommend; if I find anything cool you didn't mention, I'll let you know.

If you're looking for tricks/traps/dungeon dressing, I've got a number of such things on my site, so you may want to check them out even if you don't want to use any of my levels/maps (which I understand completely---creating your own is definitely part of the fun!). (And there are definitely various books devoted to Traps and Tricks, too: the Grimtooth series, DragonTree's Book of Traps & Tricks, etc., etc.).

Some good advice and resources are also at:

- http://philotomy.com/

- kellri.blogspot.com/ (in particular the CDD#3 and #4 downloads)

----

Allan Grohe
[email protected]
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

grodog wrote:
Rhu---

I've got a positive review of The Dungeon Alphabet from Goodman Games in the upcoming Knockspell#4: I think it's a good dungeon creating resource/aid.

I'll have to go digging on my shelves to see what good books I can recommend; if I find anything cool you didn't mention, I'll let you know.

If you're looking for tricks/traps/dungeon dressing, I've got a number of such things on my site, so you may want to check them out even if you don't want to use any of my levels/maps (which I understand completely---creating your own is definitely part of the fun!). (And there are definitely various books devoted to Traps and Tricks, too: the Grimtooth series, DragonTree's Book of Traps & Tricks, etc., etc.).

Some good advice and resources are also at:

- http://philotomy.com/

- kellri.blogspot.com/ (in particular the CDD#3 and #4 downloads)

Allan, thanks for your post. How the heck could I forgot you my friend??

Bad, bad Rhu!

And yes, I'll use your stuff in a minute. I need to have another look at your site.

If you get a chance, can you post links to the GG DA and Knockspell?

And yes . . . "trick & traps" ~ I've got to add the OD&D Greyhawk Sup as well as your site to my original post for resources.

I'll check philotomy and kellri and their stuff too.

See you at GC!

grodog

Post by grodog »

Rhuvein wrote:
Allan, thanks for your post. How the heck could I forgot you my friend??

Bad, bad Rhu!

Bah, no worries on that front
Rhuvein wrote:
If you get a chance, can you post links to the GG DA and Knockspell?
http://www.goodman-games.com/4385preview.html

and
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/Store.aspx
Rhuvein wrote:
And yes . . . "trick & traps" ~ I've got to add the OD&D Greyhawk Sup as well as your site to my original post for resources.

I'll check philotomy and kellri and their stuff too.

Unfortunately Henry's asleep in our room atm, but I'll do some more digging tomorrow for you, if you want some more books to scour ideas from?
Rhuvein wrote:
See you at GC!

Definitely!

----

Allan Grohe
[email protected]

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Does anyone have any info on the Black Resevoir? Like about what level is it supposed to be or what rumors there were that pertained to it? I'm trying to fill in some holes for my own CZ and get rough ideas of whats going on where. I've already been to greyhawkgrognard and picked though it (really neat little tale there about the BR btw).

Oh yeah about how big is it? I picture a massive underwater lake easily compared to the largest of the levels.

"You can wordify anything if you just verb it."-again, Bucky Katt

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Here something I found with a quick search
http://doomsdaygames.proboards.com/inde ... thread=174

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Yeah that was the same story from Greyhawk Grognard. Good stuff.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rob Kuntz has some ERK/GH dungeons levels forthcoming - I look forward to seeing those!

Grendelwulf
Ungern

Post by Grendelwulf »

So, with the forthcoming material, we will have:

CZ2-The Upper Works, by Gary Gygax, for the castle & its environs above ground & the LV1-Storerooms.

LV?-The Original LivingRoom, by Rob Kuntz. It's a hilarious romp for PCs, breaking the monotony of yet another monster encounter.

LV2-The Original Bottle City, by Rob Kuntz as co-GM of the Original Lake Geneva Castle and Campaign. Located on the 2nd level of the Original Castle, it stupefied many veteran adventurers, until they touched the bottle and the fun began!

LV3-split East. A special level with the protoype "Garden" of the Plantmaster in it, a Giants "Pool Hall", and the resting place of RJK's creation, the first "ring of shooting stars".

LV8 East. The Original "Machine Level," playtested by EGG and adventured on by dozens, including James Ward's PC, Bombadil. Repair robots, washing tubs, insane machinery, and floors with conveyer belts moving one to these areas.

LV11-Core. Whole elevator rooms/complex which actually moves up a whole 1/8 of the map to the levels above, with ending point covering pit (never found by adventurers) with a great magic item in it. Entrance to land of OZ.

LV12-Core (Boreal Level). Ice/Snow level (Arctic Level). Frost King, Ice Worms Trap area with many holes, boreal clime.

LV13-Core. Original Lord of Light with RJK's "Orb of Brightness" (later renamed by EGG as "Gem of Brightness"), Hidden Tomb with staff of wizards, Corridors of Distance, access points to Asgard, Melnibonae, Dying Earth, sinking/rising rough hewn room to levels below and above.

LV14-Core. Access to deeper regions of the castle, bridge over void with Flame guardian, 3 Kings throne room (massive)--MU, F, Cl--where one of the artifacts for clerics was located.

Throw in some of Maure Castle levels and miscellaneous other RJK maps, etc...maybe a dash of Joe Bloch's

and some ready scenarios for all of the above mentioned gates and planes, etc and you're good to go.

Ciao!

Grendelwulf
Grendelwulf in TLG Discord
My Codex: The Red Book of Inzae Thread

"There is not enough hate in Inzae to fill the chalice of my vengeance" — Davis Chenault

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great post, Grendel!!

Hard to choose which level is just incredible mind blowing to the max.

And . . which would be more fun ~ running them or being a player???

Grendelwulf
Ungern

Post by Grendelwulf »

Argh, tough choice.

Playing would be great, to tread foot into some area that hadn't been breached in 20+ years. To see how many characters it could take to get to the center of CZ/GH...I get a cosmic image of the Tootsie Pop Owl going "1...2...3...>"

Running it would be even greater if you really had a really loyal & dedicated group of players. Otherwise, it could get frustrating. So many twists, turns, alternate world-gates...who hasn't done their own version of Melnibone or Asgard? And Barsoom of Mars! (I haven't done THAT one yet) Ah, who am I kidding? I'm a DM at heart (yes, we do have hearts...we pull them beating from our players' chests ), I would have to run at least a part of it.

So much to do, so many character sheets!

Ciao!

Grendelwulf
Life's too short to spend 60 hours a week crouching in front of a typewriter writing rules. The more you explain, the more you have to keep explaining. Use imagination and initiative, for heaven's sake! - E. Gary Gygax
Grendelwulf in TLG Discord
My Codex: The Red Book of Inzae Thread

"There is not enough hate in Inzae to fill the chalice of my vengeance" — Davis Chenault

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Considering I've got two different groups running around inside the castle, running it has been a blast. The lamentations of my players keep me warm at night. Of couse that being said I would love to creep through the corridors with my own PC hoping to not get splatted.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Just finished re-reading the dungeon delving pane from Hall of Many Panes and it's excellent. It almost seems as though it was lifted right out of a Castle Greyhawk level.

Tricks, traps & humor along with all the usual Gygaxian excellence that you'd expect.

Incidentally, as many of you know . . The Mad Arch Mage Zygyg is present in the Hall of Many Panes.

grodog

Post by grodog »

In addition to the items Grendelwulf called out explicitly, Rob has plans to publish several other GH-friendly resources, including:

- the original city sewers (which connect via some other dungeon levels to the Castle, which he's also planning to publish)

- various outdoor/wilderness adventures from GH (similar in nature to Dark Druids and The Stalk, both of which are ex-GH modules; several of these could easily be added to the Castle via gates)
Grendelwulf wrote:
Throw in some of Maure Castle levels and miscellaneous other RJK maps, etc...maybe a dash of Joe Bloch's [CotMA levels] and some ready scenarios for all of the above mentioned gates and planes, etc and you're good to go.

If you're interested in gates and planes, I wrote a pair of articles in Knockspells 3 and 4 that provide a framework to leverage gates in the same manner as Michael Moorcock's and Philip Jose Farmer's stuff. #4 was just released in the past 2 weeks.

----

Allan Grohe
[email protected]

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I was reading Appendix A: Random Dungeon Generation & Appendix I: Dungeon Dressing in the DMG and remembered my set of Basic Dungeon Geomorphs!!

I hadn't looked at them in a long time - they will be quite useful.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hrolfgar wrote:
Here something I found with a quick search
http://doomsdaygames.proboards.com/inde ... thread=174

I finally had a chance to re-read this tonight. Very excellent . . and thanks to Scotty for posting that on his board. I'll have to go over there and comment.

I'm thinking of using some of that story and the material from Gary's Living the Legend (LA) which has a nice lake/cavern level and some excellent elements to present to PCs.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

grodog wrote:
In addition to the items Grendelwulf called out explicitly, Rob has plans to publish several other GH-friendly resources, including:

- the original city sewers (which connect via some other dungeon levels to the Castle, which he's also planning to publish)

- various outdoor/wilderness adventures from GH (similar in nature to Dark Druids and The Stalk, both of which are ex-GH modules; several of these could easily be added to the Castle via gates)

If you're interested in gates and planes, I wrote a pair of articles in Knockspells 3 and 4 that provide a framework to leverage gates in the same manner as Michael Moorcock's and Philip Jose Farmer's stuff. #4 was just released in the past 2 weeks.

Excellent Allan!!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I just put in an order for this. Seems to be well liked . . heh, and I'll assume you liked it as well, since you mentioned you reviewed it in Knockspell. I hope to get that soon too.