Best AD&D module to use for one-off

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
DireDM
Skobbit

Best AD&D module to use for one-off

Post by DireDM »

Our regular GM is taking a sabbatical from the campaign (due to work) and I have offered to introduce C&C to the group. One of the selling points that drew the players to wanting a C&C one-off was the allure of playing an old-school AD&D module (of which I have many). So, I am asking for your recommendations on which AD&D module you feel would be a good setting to showcase the C&C ruleset. Given that this is a one-off session, I am leaning towards a classic dungeon crawl or similar style module (heavy focus on combat). I'm currently looking at a portion of the GDQ series, Queen of the Spiders, or even the classic meat-grinder Tomb of Horrors.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

You said you wanted it to focus on combat, so why bother with Tomb of Horrors which is by far a more "play smart" dungeon where combat is more or less secondary and often discouraged... the GDQ series is much more combat-oriented, but also requires higher-level characters, which can be fun, if you're looking to delve into high-level play... but, nay, to both. I'd go with B2: Keep on the Borderlands. It is combat heavy, and role-play heavy, and it is designed for new characters, of low level, who have to struggle to succeed really allowing the full flexibility of the SIEGE Engine to shine as players try things they probably would not if, say, they assumed they could not because they are 12th level ass-handers.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Too bad its a one off though, because "Nights Dark Terror" is a ROCKIN' MODULE and one I'd recommend if you had the time to run it. Sure it's basic D&D but since youre doing it via C&C anyhow, its a small task to convert.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

DireDM
Skobbit

Post by DireDM »

Thanks Serleran. Despite my newb status with regards to posts on these boards, I have been a lurker for quite some time and I have learned to respect your opinion. I will make it so! Thanks for clarifying my thoughts for me! My intent here is to offer an alternative to our semi-regular d20 campaign that also hearkens back to the games of our youth.

DireDM
Skobbit

Post by DireDM »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Too bad its a one off though, because "Nights Dark Terror" is a ROCKIN' MODULE and one I'd recommend if you had the time to run it. Sure it's basic D&D but since youre doing it via C&C anyhow, its a small task to convert.

Night's Dark Terror...I must be getting old, as I don't remember this one. Google-fu, don't fail me now!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

DireDM wrote:
Night's Dark Terror...I must be getting old, as I don't remember this one. Google-fu, don't fail me now!

Here is an actual play thread for NDT, wherein the DM is actually using C&C alongside older D&D editions to run the module:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=324043
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Cave of the Unknown.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Cave of the Unknown.

~O

A Haiku for you:

Omote's smoking crack

That module sucks way too much

I might be kidding
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Simple, one-nighter, combat, dungeon, done. Cave of the Unknown. Otherwise I generally agree on the suckage. Since the limits are old AD&D modules, and Keep on the Borderlands seems to becoming passe', you get Cave of the Unknown. Taste the Golden Spray.

~O

PS: Otherwise I'd suggest Dark Chateau.
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Simple, one-nighter, combat, dungeon, done. Cave of the Unknown. Otherwise I generally agree on the suckage. Since the limits are old AD&D modules, and Keep on the Borderlands seems to becoming passe', you get Cave of the Unknown. Taste the Golden Spray.

~O

PS: Otherwise I'd suggest Dark Chateau.

IM THE PATRON SAINT OF AWESOME

P.S.- Dark Chateau is nice.
-Genghis Khan

DireDM
Skobbit

Post by DireDM »

Rummaging through the modules I have in the basement, I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of Night's Dark Terror! Huzzah! I'll have to add this to the reading list.

What about The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan? I never played this 'back in the day' but, a quick review and it seems to fit the bill of classic crunchy death-dealing luvin'.

DireDM
Skobbit

Post by DireDM »

Where can I find Dark Chateau? I can't find a review of this module here or at rpgnow.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Dark Chateau was published by TLG once upon a time (until Gygax Games yanked the license).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'd recommend S2 - White Plume Mountain. Gobs of fun with plenty of combat and some great puzzles. It's a fun-house dungeon, so if that is not your group's cup of tea, you might want to avoid it. An added bonus: the module is only something like 16 pages long and absolutely packed with awesomeness.

You might also want to consider another old favorite of mine, Frank Mentzer's To the Aid of Falx. It's one of the old RPGA modules (R2 I think, but don't quote me on that). It has pregens that are easily converted to C&C with lots of meat grinder combat.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

For low level, Serleran was right on - B2 KOTB.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Palace of the Silver Princess was a good basic module. If you have access to Castle Amber, use that.

AD&D modules - I'd recommend the Village of Hommlet for the moathouse alone.

Higher level - Dwellers of the Forbidden City.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Fiffergrund wrote:
AD&D modules - I'd recommend the Village of Hommlet for the moathouse alone.

Higher level - Dwellers of the Forbidden City.

I love T1, but the only thing, to me, is that if you're running a one-off you might not get all the in-town stuff (all the behind-the-scened plotting, etc.). If you're going into town then get sent to the moathouse, then it might work just fine. Again, I'm bias, but I don't think a one-off does T1 justice.
I1, however, might work pretty dang good.If I recall correctly, though, it's a lot of exploring.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

DireDM wrote:
Rummaging through the modules I have in the basement, I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of Night's Dark Terror! Huzzah! I'll have to add this to the reading list.

What about The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan? I never played this 'back in the day' but, a quick review and it seems to fit the bill of classic crunchy death-dealing luvin'.

I'll second THSoT, that was a great play... And while not really a full on dungeon crawl, N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile Gods is awesomeness personified. The Saltmarsh series as well, U1 is playable in one night... U2 is great because of the massive plot twist, U3 is simply, search and destroy... Plus most have pregen characters, added bonus for a one shot.

As a side note, I am tossing around the thought of running a campaign, using almost exclusively old-school modules, probably close to 85%, using TSR produced modules, and those published in Dragon. Using the C&C rules as the core rule set. That or perhaps a post-apocalyptic campaign, with a twist
It would probably end up online just need to decide between fantasy grounds and maptool.

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

koralas wrote:
It would probably end up online just need to decide between fantasy grounds and maptool.

Maptool.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Maptools.

FG costs too much money for not enough extra over Maptools.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Re: Best AD&D module to use for one-off

Post by Fiffergrund »

Another question that STILL comes up.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Baltron's Beacon was a great mid level module.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Last time I ran it, it took two sessions, but White Plume Mountain comes to mind.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

You cannot go wrong with any that have been suggested.

Let me add: U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"