Kobold - New! Improved!... i think

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
falrinth
Mist Elf

Kobold - New! Improved!... i think

Post by falrinth »

Hey all!

I got up this morning feeling sick as a dog and utterly uninspired, but, with a day off work, I pulled out the ol' sketch pad and did a lil piccy I'm quite happy with! 2 hours from head to tail (literally.. that's just how I draw I guess). I want to put a big dog on the end of that leash he's holding, to offer perspective on his 3 1/2ft stature, but I'm not so good at animals and I'm scared of messin it up.
http://static.flickr.com/98/248184827_a74d798858_b.jpg

All comments/criticism welcome!

Kris

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Great work, Kris! I like the non-monstrous approach you've taken by not making him look all mean and nasty, but just putting him in regular clothes, etc. For some reason, it just makes it more realistic to me. If I ever get around to writing a module, I know one guy I'll be begging to do the artwork.
Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice. Very well proportioned, humanlike. Even as a kobald, this picture seems very docile, kind, even. Again, very humanlike.

..................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

falrinth
Mist Elf

Post by falrinth »

The kobolds I'm tailoring for my campaign are going to be a player-race, and differentiate from the standard kobold a bit in appearance and temperament. I wanted to sketch a more 'everyday' portrait for this fella and it seems to have worked out ok! The clothes he's wearing I saw on a minstrel last weekend at a medieval fair!

Cheers for the support,

Kris

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Great pic, Kris. And welcome to the boards.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

You definitely have artistic talent.
Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I stole this one too! I saved it under your name so I will remmeber who did it.

I've loved kobolds ever since my 1/2 elf character was reincarnated into one and I tried to become the "Kobold King".
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

falrinth wrote:
The kobolds I'm tailoring for my campaign are going to be a player-race, and differentiate from the standard kobold a bit in appearance and temperament. I wanted to sketch a more 'everyday' portrait for this fella and it seems to have worked out ok! The clothes he's wearing I saw on a minstrel last weekend at a medieval fair!

Cheers for the support,

Kris

Very nice drawing, falrinth. Certainly more human (except for the head) than typical D&D kobolds.

Not sure if you're familiar with Gary Gygax's Lejendary Adventures, but he has a PC (avatar) kobold race. Very interesting character/race indeed. We have one in the LA online game that I'm in.

The picture in the LA PH has a more human looking face, but in a way, it's too human and not enough kobold, so I think your picture may strike a better balance.

Good luck with your campaign, and let us know how it goes!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I like the tail as well. Even if it does look like it is coming out of the thigh of its right leg.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

falrinth
Mist Elf

Post by falrinth »

I'd love to write in regards to how my campaign is going.. but without any players I think there might be a slight delay! No idea when I might actually get to run a game. But at least, when I do, I should be very, very prepared!

Hadn't really noticed the wrong 'depth-of-field' with the tail. I must be too close to the pic cos I'm still not really seeing it. I drew a little bit of the middle of his tail in between his knees and I suppose I'm just used to seeing it that way. Woops!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Pretty nice. Not sure if I like the spade deal on the end of his tail. But The rest is nice!

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

When you look at the tail between his legs it makes it look to me like it is going into the back of his right leg.