For the love of Gygax (East Corner PDF?)

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
KJSEvans
Mist Elf

For the love of Gygax (East Corner PDF?)

Post by KJSEvans »

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long-time fan of Gary's work. In recent months I've been on a quest to pick up his later-day projects, and have been fortunate enough to grab much of his TLG work, including his Lejendary Essentials, More Beasts of Legend, Living the Legend, A Problem with Manors, the Hermit, and The Rock. (Not to mention everything in his Builder series, save the Canting Crew)

But especially, I have been working toward collecting the Zagyg stuff, and at this point I'm pretty sure I have everything but the East Corner pdf. (Also, what is the HOMP Cheat Sheet?)

I've looked everywhere for the East Corner, but I just can't find it. Could somebody here please help steer me in the right direction? I would sincerely appreciate it.

Cheers,

Kurt

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Are you talking about the EastMark Gazetteer?
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Post by KJSEvans »

No sir, I have that. I'm talking about the East Corner, which was a section of Yggsburgh that only ever made it to pdf before TLG had the rug yanked from under them.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Hmmm you know something about TLG product that I dont then
Maybe Steve can clear this up for you.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

You're right. There was pdf only East Corner. I would imagine(although I may be wrong)that it is no longer "officially" available. Thankfully, I got mine before Gary's products were pulled. After the expert advice that was given regarding new avenues for his products, one would have thought some other company would be cranking these out. Unfortunately, I think East Corner, and other related products are in the hands of "Limbo" Games. *wink*

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Post by KJSEvans »

Especially since -- from what I've been told by a friend who coincidentally frequents this forum -- more than just a few were finished and never published. I know they had a ton of Yggsburgh planned out ... I wonder about just how many they actually received final copy on?

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I don't think it was ever available, KJSE, in physical form. I've never seen or heard of it in print...and I'm sure somebody on some forum would have gloated about it by now.
I'm not one who condones it, nor do I participate in such behavior, but I'm certain that one can be gotten if one is industrious enough.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

It is true a few (I believe 2) of the Yggsburgh expansions went to pdf rather than print as the license was expiring and there was no time to print them; they did not survive long in pdf format, either. A shame as the authors took on an extraordinarily difficult task. It was my honor to have worked alongside all of them, even if they didn't all need me.

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Post by KJSEvans »

Lord Dynel wrote:
I don't think it was ever available, KJSE, in physical form. I've never seen or heard of it in print...and I'm sure somebody on some forum would have gloated about it by now.
I'm not one who condones it, nor do I participate in such behavior, but I'm certain that one can be gotten if one is industrious enough.

Well, thank you for the heads up. In fact, I knew that it wasn't ever made available as a print item ... all along, I was hoping to find a pdf copy somewhere.

Other PDF Zagyg documents include "The Outs Inn" and "Castle Zagyg: Class Option Skills" (both of which can be purchased, rather than pirated, if you know where to look).

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Gotcha. Well, the other pdfs you mentioned should be easier to come across, since they were avaiable for free for a long time. I don't think it would be an issue to acquire those. AS for the East Corner, I don't know what to say, other than "good luck!"
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

serleran wrote:
It is true a few (I believe 2) of the Yggsburgh expansions went to pdf rather than print as the license was expiring and there was no time to print them; they did not survive long in pdf format, either. A shame as the authors took on an extraordinarily difficult task. It was my honor to have worked alongside all of them, even if they didn't all need me.

Yes, unfortunately, I lot of good writers got jagged on this project!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

KJSEvans wrote:
Other PDF Zagyg documents include "The Outs Inn" and "Castle Zagyg: Class Option Skills" (both of which can be purchased, rather than pirated, if you know where to look).

How about a hint or two of where to look?
Winter is coming...

joxer131
Mist Elf

Re: For the love of Gygax (East Corner PDF?)

Post by joxer131 »

Hi All,

Apologies...haven't been on the forums for quite a while.

I wrote the East Corner and some LA stuff that will likely not see the light of day. I managed to get a PDF copy myself for those who are interested....
The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable....C Jung

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

More stuff based on Gary's work is always welcome!
-Genghis Khan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I guess things are still dead on the Gygax Games front? I know a little bit of how it went down with TLG as do some of you. I would have thought one of the 2nd-tier big dog companies like Paizo, Mongoose, etc. would have courted Trigee by now. Just an absolute shame that Gary's projects are in limbo, especially with the good relationship between TLG and clan Gygax.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I am fairly new here. I picked up pdf ...one of those downloads that was an abreviated PHB for C&C a few years ago. I thumbed through it and thought how it seemed very "Gygaxian". Not til later did I find he was working with TLG. I wish I had known so I could have had my hands on some of that good stuff. So, Gary passed away and it appears TLG and the Gygax clan parted ways. What happened?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Well, I didn't mean to get the ball rolling on this old topic again. I'm hesitant to comment too much lest I get some of the story wrong. Sometime before Gary's death(I THINK), it was decided that Lejendary Adventure would be handled by another company(perhaps Mongoose). The trolls had a lot irons in the fire...C&C and their own related adventures, not to mention the Castle Keepers Guide, and Gary's Zagyg stuff and the Gygaxian Fantasy supplements. As I recall, most though it was a good move. Didn't really rock my world since I didn't play LA. In the time prior to Gary's death, Cas Zag:Yggsburgh hardcover, East Mark Gazeteer, an adventure(name escapes me), and print/pdf's of at least 4 Yggsburgh city districts came out. The coveted Castle Zagyg:Upper Works boxed set, and the pdf-only East Corner(i think) came out after Gary's death in 08. Seems like a short time later, a gentleman(only remember his first name. No need to mention it as I have no axe to grind)may have suggested(to the gygax estate so to speak-and I hope I'm halfway right)that bigger and better things could be accomplished with Gary's work, despite the good relationship between TLG and Gary's family. Maybe Castle Zag was going to be reworked by another company. I believe Gary's protege and co-author, Jeffrey Talanian was even offered some sort of advisory role on the new project. He declined. Not sure if the other gent I mentioned earlier saw more possible dollar signs by moving Gary's work elsewhere or what. Either way, it seems like no such thing has panned out. That said, I haven't visited the Trigee Games website in some time. I realize Troll Lord Games isn't one of the industry giants, but unless some deal was going to be cooked up with WOTC(highly doubtful), Paizo, Mongoose, or maybe Green Ronin, where was the fountain of Gygaxian product wealth going to spring forth? Bear in mind, my recollection ofhis may be way off or partially incorrect. And, despite having never met Gail, Luke, or Ernie Gygax, I don't wish to stir up a hornet's nest, or to misrepresent anyone. If I'm dead wrong, I'll gladly eat crow. I just have great respect for Gary's work, and was thrilled with his C&C projects. I realize we Troll fanboys may be one of the rpg world's many niche audiences, but at least we were supporting the material. As I understand, Gary was very complimentary of C&C. Yet another reason it's so sad to see his work residing in limbo-ville. Trolls and/or moderators, feel free to stifle me if these topics are best left untouched. Anyway, hooray for the ckg, the rest of the A series and maps, K. Hartsfield's upcoming books, and all the rest. Trollzah!

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Post by KJSEvans »

I think that sooner or later, one way or another, we'll see the bulk of his work. I don't know if Gail Gygax is sitting on his notes expecting an amazing offer, or if it's just not something she "needs to do" right now. In any case, sooner or later the price will drop (if it's expensive) or she'll get the ball rolling (once she's ready to).

In the meantime, there are some amazing materials out there for gaming -- a lot of which have very Gygaxian tones to them. I have not lacked for fun products. :)

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

This much I know. No one can, or would, offer a better deal than TLG offered. Problem is, some folks seem to have the silly idea that they can 'go it alone' these days. Not in the current state of the industry. Name recognition isn't as strong as it used to be, even Gary's. Gary certainly knew that.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

gideon_thorne wrote:This much I know. No one can, or would, offer a better deal than TLG offered. Problem is, some folks seem to have the silly idea that they can 'go it alone' these days. Not in the current state of the industry. Name recognition isn't as strong as it used to be, even Gary's. Gary certainly knew that.
Yet when companies (Not talking about TLG) buy up game brands and turn them into something comeletely different regardless of fan feedback, it is very tempting to want to go it alone.
TSR morphed Gary's creation.
We all know what happened to WHFRP and D&D.

Yes, its hard to go it alone but when companies release games and then don't support them, (DW thread comes to mind) it gives folks little choice. I would like to see a support line for Harvesters but once the company owns the rights they call the shots. The company may not share the same priority as the game designer.
Gary was an exception as his stuff is considered "holy grail" stuff and valuable to collectors. And I think your right, the longer it sits the less interest will be there.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Joe wrote:
gideon_thorne wrote:This much I know. No one can, or would, offer a better deal than TLG offered. Problem is, some folks seem to have the silly idea that they can 'go it alone' these days. Not in the current state of the industry. Name recognition isn't as strong as it used to be, even Gary's. Gary certainly knew that.
Yet when companies (Not talking about TLG) buy up game brands and turn them into something comeletely different regardless of fan feedback, it is very tempting to want to go it alone.
TSR morphed Gary's creation.
We all know what happened to WHFRP and D&D.

Yes, its hard to go it alone but when companies release games and then don't support them, (DW thread comes to mind) it gives folks little choice. I would like to see a support line for Harvesters but once the company owns the rights they call the shots. The company may not share the same priority as the game designer.
Gary was an exception as his stuff is considered "holy grail" stuff and valuable to collectors. And I think your right, the longer it sits the less interest will be there.
There's absolutely no comparison between whats going on with CZ and Harvesters.

Support for Harvesters is just a matter of time and resources. Much of said resources being taken up with the CKG. There are only so many hours in the day.

CZ, on the other hand, was all set to go, stuff was coming out for it, and for reasons both nonsensical and just plain foolish, it was yanked. There was and still is no logical business reason to have done so.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

maggotchain
Henchman

Post by maggotchain »

Hi all. I just found this thread and I too am looking for the elusive East Corner document. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

It's over there, in the east corner. :D

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hope to see my good friend joxer 'round here sometime soon!

Where you at, bro??

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

joxer131
Mist Elf

Post by joxer131 »

Hi All,

RL world taking most of my time these days. Not much writing going on...my main goal initially was to answer Gary's call and get some work published with him. With the East Corner just making it to PDF and then killed off in that whole license mess, kind of knocked the wind out of the sails. With that motivation gone, and the fact that you can't even make beer money at this....

I've been playing in a weekly Pathfinder game with the old crew from high school...
The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable....C Jung