Fields of Battle

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
DangerDwarf
Maukling

Fields of Battle

Post by DangerDwarf »

This isn't on the production schedule for this year is it?

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Awwwww yeahhhhh:
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

How thick are the counters? A decent cardstock or something else? Looks like I might have to ask for two...

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Dude!

Now I have another reason to not wanna wait for Troll Con!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Droolicious!!!!

Looking most excellent, guys. I want Tullis to put my Fat Dragon pieces together, though.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Badass. Wow. Beautifully badass.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looks like the wait was worth it.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

The cardstock is high gloss and fairly thin (about as thick as office depot standard printer cardstock but shiny). Thats good IMO, since I will have a lot of cutting to do and I dont want to destroy mah scissors!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Does that mean they are not perforated? No big deal to me, but I am curious. If they were, then I'd be asking Steve how they did it... 'cause I've got plans.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

No, they're not perforated. Youll need to cut em yourself. GET A SHARP SET OF SCISSORS!
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll use my X-Acto knife and self-healing mat (the same stuff I used when making my cardstock graveyard about two years ago.)

This should be a fun box set. Lots of potential.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Breakdaddy wrote:
No, they're not perforated. Youll need to cut em yourself. GET A SHARP SET OF SCISSORS!

Reaching back to my days playing Metagames, which also used this kind of stock (perhaps thinner) : what you really want is a little tape, an Xacto knife, a steel straightedge, and a cutting board. Tape the counter sheet to the cutting board. Lay the straightedge along the line you want to cut. Make a light stroke with the blade to score the surface, then make your cutting stroke.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Actually

Post by Bowbe »

Go raid your wife/girlfriend/mom's scrap booking gear. They likely have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-12-990870 ... 822&sr=1-1

If not I'm sure Steve won't mind me advertising one. These things are the shizzy. They are groovy cutters for anything of 8.5/11 size and their rotary blades work a long time before needing to be replaced. They sell em at a lot of places for about this price or less and come in a variety of quality gear. My wife happens to be a scrap book maven of the 1st rank, so we have at least 2 of these at hand. (I'm also an art teacher so I have access to a pro quality cutter 10.5 months of the year).

I prefer to cut my own stuff anyhow.

I've never had any success with perforations. Even the super fancy die cuts have been a 10% fail going back to Avalon hill or TSR products of my youth. I don't know how many of my Star Frontiers Knight Hawks star craft peeled off unhappily.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Perferoations are hit and miss, frequently the top of the stacks are well done band the bottoms are horrid.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Use a liquid glue on the card stock. We used gloss paper for the FDG models, and the uglu doesn't stick well, so use a luquid glue from your regular grocery store or school thing.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

When I get mine, I plan to build support in using some cut balsa wood. I've found that greatly helps them stand up to a lot more abuse.

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

Looking forward to mine arriving.

Eastern Valnwall Travelers' Society
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Mark used a liquid glue actually, not a stick glue. It has a little sponge at the mouth of the bottle. Worked quite well.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I just got mine today as well, lots and lots of counters and fields and siege machines. It appears as if the chits and stuff are made by a different company? Several sheets have Fat Dragon games on them, and there is a book on assembly (very nice by the way, talks you all the way through getting the chits onto thicker stock, with what type of glue to use, to having it all assembled) and the book on assembly also seems to be from Fat dragon games. Is it a subsidiary?

Going to read through the actual rulebooks tonight, pretty excited. Looks great.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Fat Dragon...

Post by Bowbe »

Fat Dragon Games are buddies of ours. Steve and Tom Tullis (Of Fat Dragon) cooked up a deal whereby we get to showcase their awesome 3d and 2d terrain pieces in a TLG product. It was a perfect fit. The army chits were designed by Peter and done in house at TLG print shop.

In the future it is quite possible that new army chits by peter will be available on Drivethru (or whatever) for people into that and new battles may be available through TLG or Fat Dragon. Neat huh?

C.

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Re: Fat Dragon...

Post by GreyLord »

Bowbe wrote:
Fat Dragon Games are buddies of ours. Steve and Tom Tullis (Of Fat Dragon) cooked up a deal whereby we get to showcase their awesome 3d and 2d terrain pieces in a TLG product. It was a perfect fit. The army chits were designed by Peter and done in house at TLG print shop.

In the future it is quite possible that new army chits by peter will be available on Drivethru (or whatever) for people into that and new battles may be available through TLG or Fat Dragon. Neat huh?

C.

That is pretty neat.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Can't wait for mine. I have to wait till after GenCon though, dang it.

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

GreyLord wrote:
the book on assembly also seems to be from Fat dragon games. Is it a subsidiary?

Actually, TLG is a subsidiary of Fat Dragon Games.

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

My copy arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to do more than flip through it and check out the components, but the physical quality is definitely top-notch. My son and I have a weekend project to put everything together so we can give it a test run before TrollCon!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I think it would be a good idea to have additional army chits and chats, down the line. And, with the compatibility with virtually everything, even buying things like cardboard castles and the like is definitely a strong possibility. I think this is a very neat product idea.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Dead on, sir. Definite potential for a long-term revenue stream here that's not as offensive to the players as "If you want to play your character you have to buy these power cards".

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Or, how's this notion for awesome:
Battle of Aufstrag Boxed Set. Or Siege of Dro Mandras Boxed Set.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

+1 on the Siege of Dro Mandras!

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

let's kill an army of orcs !

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Looks awesome!!!

When I get mine I am going to use a cutting board made for just this sort of thing.

bring them to office max.

All your talk of scissors and razor blades brings to mind completely avoidable injuries.

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell