Tuesday Dark Sun one off

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Rigon
Clang lives!

Tuesday Dark Sun one off

Post by Rigon »

Here is a thread for us for the next couple of weeks. Post any questions or comments here and post characters here also.

I've answered a couple of questions put forth by Arrowhawk in an email and posted them in Tree's Tuesday thread, but am going to repost them here.

For character generation, since this is only gonna be for 1-2 sessions, pick what you want (no more than a total modifier bonus of +12 after racial adjustments).

As for house rules, we will go with pretty much straight by the book. Class and a half for multiclassing. 3rd level single class PCs or 2nd level c&h PCs.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Oh, and you all might want to make up 2 or 3 PCs each. Athas is deadly.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

For Hit Points, take max at 1st level and then roll for 2nd and 3rd.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon

Thanks for the invite. I'm not a huge DS fan (back in the day I didn't play it much and when I did the DM that ran it was one of the worst DMs I gamed under so I got a bad taste in my mouth from it), but I'm dieing to play so I'm in if you can stand having a novice at the setting in the game.

I've downloaded your "Book of the mind"- after a quick glance through it looks like a good adaptation of the old 2e psy rules- but I doubt I'll run a psy, so what other rules are you using for characters. Also what is the equipment armor etc that is allowable. Are you using the old books with a quick C&C conversion, C&C rules with a DS flavor, or some house rules I have missed?

Point me in the right direction and I'll have you a character by monday (well 3 after reading your second post ) However their back stories may be weak concidering I can't remember much abut the setting.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm using the original box set info for setting material and my DS adaptation for C&C for all the "conversion" material. I can email it to you if you get me your addy.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

ArrowHawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by ArrowHawk »

Well, this is my character so far. Look it over and let me know how he looks. I still need to work out some of the details.

Name: Grug

Race: Half-Giant

Alignment: Good (Neutral, Lawful, Chaotic) - Can change each morning

Class/Level: Fighter 3

Exp: 4001

Exp Needed: 8501

Languages: Trade tongue

Physicals: Male, 11 ft 4 in tall, 1650lbs, long scragly black hair

STR: 24(+6) Prime

DEX: 19(+3)

CON: 19(+3) Prime

INT: 7(-1)

WIS: 11(0)

CHAR: 13(+1)

HP: 65

AC: 18 Cuir Bouille(+4)

BtH: +3

Speed: 40 ft

Size: Large

Weapons:

Maul (+10/1d10+7)

Club (+9/1d6+7)

Psionics:

MAC: 11

MtH: +0

PSPs: 24

Devotion: Conceal Thoughts

Attack: Mind Thrust

Defence: Thought Shield

Racial Traits:

Giant Constitution, Great Size, Mercurial(Good)

Class Abilities:

Weapon Specialization - Club

Weapon Instructor

Misc:

Waterskin x6

Set of cloths

Torch x2

Bedroll

Boots, soft

Rations

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Looks good Arrowhawk. Only thing I can see that needs clarification is what material is your two-hander made from (bone, obsidian, or wood)?

Half-giants are tough, but don't forget, your character needs twice as much water per day as other characters. Good luck with that...

R-

Edit: Just realized you didn't have a psionic wild talant. You need to roll on the wild talent chart on page 10 of the Book of the Mind.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

ArrowHawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by ArrowHawk »

Rigon wrote:
Looks good Arrowhawk. Only thing I can see that needs clarification is what material is your two-hander made from (bone, obsidian, or wood)?

From reading I thought you could buy a metal weapon, it just cost the same price as in the players handbook(Twice the price for me). This is where i spent most of my money. Let me know if i can do this or if i have to change.
Rigon wrote:
Edit: Just realized you didn't have a psionic wild talant. You need to roll on the wild talent chart on page 10 of the Book of the Mind.

I rolled on the table on page 10 and got a 83(Conceal thoughts). Do i just add this to my character. I havnt gone through the "Book of the Mind" because i wasn't being a Psionicest. Let me know if there is anything else i need to know about this book in regards to my character.

Thanks

ArrowHawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by ArrowHawk »

One other thing i forgot to ask is, because i am a large character, does this affect my AC or anything else. I could not find anything in the C&C handbook.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

ArrowHawk wrote:
From reading I thought you could buy a metal weapon, it just cost the same price as in the players handbook(Twice the price for me). This is where i spent most of my money. Let me know if i can do this or if i have to change.

A metal two-handed sword costs 30 gold pieces, however, starting money is in ceramic pieces (cp) and would cost 3000 cp for a metal version. A bone 2-handed sword would cost 9 gp or 900 ceramic, an obsidian sword would cost 15 gp or 1500 ceramic and a wood 2-handed sword would cost 3 gp or 300 ceramics.

Everything costs more on Athas.
ArrowHawk wrote:
I rolled on the table on page 10 and got a 83(Conceal thoughts). Do i just add this to my character. I havnt gone through the "Book of the Mind" because i wasn't being a Psionicest. Let me know if there is anything else i need to know about this book in regards to my character.

Thanks

You will need to know how many PSP (psionic strength points) you have, your MAC (mental AC), you MtH (mental to hit), how many psionic defenses and attacks you have.

Looking at the BotM:

The PSP total for a wild talent is determined with some slight modifications. A wild talent automatically receives enough PSPs to use his power (or powers) once. In addition, he gets 10 PSPs (instead of 15) and the sum of the character's Mental Attribute modifiers. He also rolls 1d4,

instead of 1d6.

Looking at you character, he would have 22+1d4 PSPs, a MAC of 11 amd a MtH of +0. He would have 1 psionic defense and 1 psionic attack. Look at the information on pages 2-7 of BotM.

Conceal Thought has a MAC of 10 with a PSP cost of 4/2. This means for your character to activate his devotion, he needs to make a MtH roll of 10 or more (1d20+MtH+Int bonus; in your case +1-1 for total of +0). If you make the roll, you activate the devotion and use it as described in the powers section using 4 PSPs per round it is active. If you fail the roll you spend 2 PSPs for the attempt.

Hope this helps.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

ArrowHawk wrote:
One other thing i forgot to ask is, because i am a large character, does this affect my AC or anything else. I could not find anything in the C&C handbook.

It does not effect your AC.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

For everyone: Take max ceramics for 1st level and add +100 ceramics for each level.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon

Just sent you a PM with my address.

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Got it and adaptation sent.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

ArrowHawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by ArrowHawk »

Just reading through BotM and from what i can tell is i get one discipline with one science and 3 devotions. I also get one psionic attack and one psionic defence. Is this right? Now, if i roll the percentile dice and get 83, is this the discipline and one of the devotions i get. Then do i choose 2 more devotions from that discipline and one science from that discipline or do i just get the one that i rolled and im done? sorry for the confusion, ive never played a psionicist before.

thanks

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Here you go, He's my primary character, I'll make up 2or 3 back ups tomorrow.

I think I'm close on the equipment/armor/weapon but wasn't sure of the exact conversion plus the 1% and 50% for bone etc etc. Also I had no clue on the costs of magic -read cure light wound potions- so didn't by any though I know we'll need LOTS of them!

I left my fathers name and my home city-state open so you can fit it in as best as you see fit.

Editied for wild talent

Name: Belyor, Half son.

Race: Half-Elf

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Class/Level: Rogue 3

Exp: 2,501

Exp Needed: 6,001

Languages: Trade tongue, (which ever City-state Im from), Elf

Physicals: Male, 6 ft tall, 165lbs, Light brown to copper red hair, Sky blue eyes, Impish smile and good natured face

STR: 13(+1)

DEX: 20(+4) Prime

CON: 13(+1)

INT: 18(+3) (Not prime but +2 for Elf

WIS: 18(+3) Prime

CHAR: 12(+0)

HP: 18

AC: 16 (leather, +4 dex)

BtH: +1

Speed: 30 ft

Size: M

PSI:

Talent Cat fall 4/2

PSP: 25

MAC: 16

MtH: 1 +3 int

Psi Def: Thought shield 2psp (EW -2, II +1, MT -1, PB +0, PsC +2)

Psi Atk: Mind thrust 2 psp for d4 psi damage

Weapons:

Ax Hand (& throwing) x3 - Bone

1d6 +0 to dmg, +0 to hit

Dirk x2 Bone

D4+1 +0 to dmg, +0to hit

Missile

Sling

1d4, +1 dmg, +4 to hit,

Ax -Throwing same 3 as hand- Bone

1d6, +0 dmg, +4 to hit

Racial Traits:

-Twilight Vision (per C&C)

-Empathy (per C&C) +2 to Cha checks

-Move Silently (per C&C) +2

-Attribute Check Modification (per C&C) - Int

-Survival (per C&C)

Class Abilities:

Back Attack - +4 to hit, x2 Damage

Cant

Climb Dex -

Decipher script - Int-

Hide - Dex 3rd lvl can hide and move silently but at -5

Listen Wis-

Move Silently Dex at +2 for Elf

Open Lock Dex

Pick Pocket Dex

Traps Int

Sneak attack (lvl 4)

Equipment

Leather Armor

1 set cloths

Soft boots

Cloak

Thief tools

Bed roll

Silk Rope

Water Skins x4

Background

Belyor the bastard son of ,a wealthy large plantation owner - but a man that actually cared for his servents, free farm hands and even his slaves- and member of ??? trade merchant guild, and his favored elfin concubine. Raised better than a slave but not openly as a child of . Belyor was educated so that he may one day serve as a manager of an operation of one of the trade alliances or farm tasks on his fathers plantation, but was always let know that he was not equil to the other sons of the free men associated with his father. That lead Belyor to drift toward a roguish outlook, which his father encouraged, (its always good to have a loyal set of eyes and ears in the less than honest areas). Despite the stigma associated with being a bastard, Belyor somehow always maintained a more cheery outlook and kind temperament.

Unfortunately, one day he hear the head slave overseers son and others plotting to rape and kill some slaves (human and elf -including an elf girl that was Belyor's niece, which Belyor couldn't bear the thought of) and blame it on the neighbors mul & 1/2 giant slave/guards. Belyor killed 2 of the conspirators, and permanently crippled a 3rd (love back attacks at sunset). He then informed his father of the threat, his actions, and was forced to leave or face the wrath of the slave overseer.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

ArrowHawk wrote:
Just reading through BotM and from what i can tell is i get one discipline with one science and 3 devotions. I also get one psionic attack and one psionic defence. Is this right? Now, if i roll the percentile dice and get 83, is this the discipline and one of the devotions i get. Then do i choose 2 more devotions from that discipline and one science from that discipline or do i just get the one that i rolled and im done? sorry for the confusion, ive never played a psionicist before.

thanks

As a wild talent, you get one roll unless you roll high enough to get more. Your roll of 83 means you only get the one devotion.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker, everything looks good. Make sure you roll on the wild talent table on page 10 of the Book of the Mind.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Alright, everybody ready for some Dark Sun? I know I am

I still have a few tweaks to make on my character but here is a preview:

I should be wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses, I look so cool
This guy is pure bad news. He can beat you with his claws, he can beat you with his mind, he can beat you with your own torn-off limb.

"What is this dark champion's intimidating name?", you ask.

Xii Ma Nii Kri Katt, at your service
BTW- I don't believe in rolling back up characters before we start. Bad for the morale .

However, I will tell you that Xii Ma Nii does have more than a few brothers from the same nest.

Why yes, I believe they are all also 3rd level psionicists, now that you mention it.
Re: character creation. So we roll standard gold from C&C PH and convert that number to ceramic? What if you are a psionicist?

I want to use that Thri-kreen crystal throwing blade but it is not on the psionicist list. Do Thri-kreen get it as a race weapon, like elven wizards can use bows and swords?

Just getting my head around using powers against others. My character concept is much akin to the 3e psychic warrior who I think is a) awesome and b) what a monk should be- activatable powers mostly to buff yourself

However, I would like to have at least _something_ that can affect other people. So, to affect anyone, you first have to make them open. And everyone has attack and defence modes, and points, right? So at best, you will not be able to affect an opponent for 2 or 3 rounds (until their points=0 and defences drop)? Or do you just make a MAC check and if succesful you affect them right away?

Use cause sleep as an example. They get a bonus if they have a reason to be "on their guard". If one has to break down their defences for it to work, won't people always be on their guard (hey! someone is psionically attacking me. I better be on my guard)? Or can you affect someone with a power without psionically attacking first?

Homer Simpson

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Lurker, everything looks good. Make sure you roll on the wild talent table on page 10 of the Book of the Mind.

R-

I thought I only had something like a 10% chance for a wild talent and I blew the roll so then I wouldn't have a talent. If not let me know and I let the dice fly again.

Oh yeah, my skype ID is Lurker (original I know ) Also what is the start time?

I'm almost finished with a halfling ranger as my back up. not sure what to go for on my C team PC. I guess I'll just have to roll high enough to keep the other 2 alive for a few weeks

C&C Society

C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If playing in Dark Sun, all characters are latent psions, by the book.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Oh.... Like I said It's been years since I played and even then it wasn't my favorite world. That being said I just rolled a 40, so cat fall it is. I'll edit character in a bit

C&C Society

C&C Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Lurker wrote:
Oh yeah, my skype ID is Lurker (original I know ) Also what is the start time?

Game time is 6-9 PST / 9-12 midnight EST

Homer Simpson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Kurt: Not everyone will have PSPs and Psi Defenses. So usually a successful PSi attack will open thier mind.

For coinage, use 3d4x10 +100/level.

For the Chatkcha 9thri-kreen throwing wedge), you gain proficiency with it at 5th level.

Lurker: All PCs in DS are wild talents unless they are of the psionicist class, so you would have a devotion, as Serl said.

See everyone tomorrow.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

I put a server up already. I will not be playing but a server is up.

Rigon's Game

Rigon your password is GM

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I just noticed this, my skype is rouelllr, not lurker, sorry

C&C Society

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Good times. Dropped a PC to -1 on the first combat! I love how deadly Athas is.

Thanks for the game guys.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Rigon wrote:
Good times. Dropped a PC to -1 on the first combat! I love how deadly Athas is.

Thanks for the game guys.

R-

Yes, that was fun. No mere ant lion is going to steal our back-up food supply...er...I mean...our half elf rogue
I wonder what happened to Kayolan and 64-bit robot?

So, for next week, what should we do? I could come up with a one off, or we could put the whole thing on hold for a week.

Regardless of what happens next week, as I understand it Treebore and Rigon will be missing the following week. Is that right?

If I did a one shot, does everyone want to just stick with a dark sun mini adventure or go for a mini stealth type mission?

If we do decide to go forward next week, we would need to know who is playing, and we would need to have a maptools server lined up

Homer Simpson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Kurt, like I said last night, I'm good with a game next week (as long as I'm not running it) or not playing either. As for the following week, I will definately be out that day (7/27). If there is a game, I'll play, if not, that's ok too.

A stealthy-type session might be fun. Can you say monk/assassin or maybe monk/wizard?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Rigon wrote:
K

A stealthy-type session might be fun. Can you say monk/assassin or maybe monk/wizard?

R-
Monk/assassins tend to lose their "you know whats."