TC Day 1

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

TC Day 1

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Just wrapped the first day of Troll Con- had a blast. Drove down from Chicago with Rhuvein and my little brother.

I think I spooked Rhu about with my driving
Played a large session run by Steve that had the most disfunction group of people ever. I web cammed the whole deal and I'll put a link to facebook from here.

Highlights:

Codex Persona: excerpts from the CKG- yep for real, a special printing. Just had a brief look but it has the class levels beyond 12 and rules for making modified classes.

Picked up Fields of Battle

The Preacher-gamer who assasinated one of the Chenault nephews in Steve's game. Oh, it was so deserved.

Met Larry Elmore- had a nice conversation.

Spent some time talking to Chuck (Rigon) and John (CK Dad) as well as John (Seskis).

Good times

Morty
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Just enough highlights to rub it in, eh!
Good to hear day one started on a high note.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

I loved the game too. It was only my second time to play C&C and it was probably one of the wildest games I have ever played in. I didn't know anybody at the table, but felt like I did before the game was over.

There is nothing like watching a knight charge headlong into a troop of soldiers. Bards will sing his stupidity (and bad strength checks) for millenia.

Look forward to today.
Bandits DON'T use train tickets.

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

What's up?

Post by Mac Golden »

I am here.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Another fun day! I need sleep though....
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

and today Morty and I were able to talk some. I hope he got good "film" of the Field of Battle scenario they did.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Did anybody take pictures of what's in the CKG like last year?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

garydee wrote:
Did anybody take pictures of what's in the CKG like last year?

No, we were able to buy the sampling they gave us. Which will be a "discount" when we place our orders for the full book in roughly 60 days. Troll time.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Wish I could have been there! I am looking forward to seeing any movies or pics of the con, especially sessions of Fields of Battle or the elusive CKG. I am really hoping to make it next year.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Convention OVER! Had a great time playing and running games this year. Was fun getting to talk to all of the folks that came in from the boards and the other folks I met that aren't (yet) members of the community. My brain is flying half-staff right now due to being tired, but it was a great fun time and I hope that even more folks from the boards come next year. Sadly, we missed Tylermo and DangerDwarf this year due to last minute obligations, but here's hoping for next year!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Yeah, was lookin forward to more Tylermo and a first Dangerdwarf sighting. Had a great time, miss you guys already! Had an AWESOME battle yesterday that went on literally ALL Day!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I appreciate the kind words. Definitely wanted to be there. Good news is that my mother-in-law seems to be doing well at this point. She was going to watch my kids during TC, but had some issues with her heart racing. No blockage, or anything apparently, but there will be a follow up examination. Either way, I kept myself occupied with the kids, work, and future developments. At least I'll still see some of you at GenCon. Should be able to swing it. I'll have to buy my badge on site, and I've still got to get a hotel. Will probably be a min of 180-200 dollars, 10 minutes or more from the con, and Indy's mass transit doesn't run very late. Ah, the up's and down's of the convention circuit. Anyway, glad everybody had a great time at Troll Con!

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Treebore wrote:
No, we were able to buy the sampling they gave us. Which will be a "discount" when we place our orders for the full book in roughly 60 days. Troll time.

So, are you saying that TLG will be taking orders for the CKG in "roughly 60 days?"

John Adams

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Awesome time and was great to meet a number of the people here in the flesh. Almost killed a few off in my games!

Casey, Ben is totally stoked about the way you signed his Fields of Battle rules. Thanks!

Still brain fried, and two hours of flight delays aren't helping, so I'll save further updates for later. But fun fun fun.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

CKDad wrote:
Almost killed a few off in my games!

He's referring to me, for one. My Kobold sub-sub chief Garg shamed himself in attempting to lead his Kobold clan brothers against the lizard men, and was knock-knock-knockin' on kobold heaven's door.... at -9 before stabilized and revived.... then he failed a fear save and ran from the final battle like a frightened puppy....

Twas shamed... he should have gone into the Kobold light....

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I always miss the Kobold games
My timing stinks. I need to check this out next year. CKDad is a CON-WARRIOR! That dude can deploy a staggering array of games at a short convention. I was REALLY sad that I missed his Traveller game.
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:
So, are you saying that TLG will be taking orders for the CKG in "roughly 60 days?"

That is the best guess I was hearing at the Con. Subject to all kinds of if's, and's or but's that could take it to a few more years. We are dealing with Troll's after all.

It does seem that the light at the end of the tunnel is truly very near after all this time.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Breakdaddy wrote:
My timing stinks. I need to check this out next year. CKDad is a CON-WARRIOR! That dude can deploy a staggering array of games at a short convention. I was REALLY sad that I missed his Traveller game.

Yeah, I was struggling real hard to remember a lot of things about Classic Traveller, which was pretty important for me to do since I was the Captain. Fortunately I had great crew members who gave me great advice and exemplary service. I'd take a ship into space with them anytime!

I just wish we had more time to play his Sunday C&C game too. That's one thing I hate about Con games, having to end them prematurely.

Plus it seems like CKDad may have left a certain leather hat at the Con. Someone did, anyways. Unfortunately he checked out of the hotel before we could ask him to see if it was his. McBain has it now.

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

I hate that the kids and I had to miss Sunday, but we had a blast at our first Trollcon.

When I got home, I pulled out my newly signed Larry Elmore red box set to show my wife. She very politely rolled her eyes in a patronizing way and said ok....

But on to next year, only 365 days (or so depending on the date for next year). My daughter, Ashlee is already planning a costume for next year. I heard her mumble something about an elf.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: What's up?

Post by Tadhg »

Mac Golden wrote:
I am here.

He was there!

Great to meet and chat with you, man!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Piperdog wrote:
Wish I could have been there! I am looking forward to seeing any movies or pics of the con, especially sessions of Fields of Battle or the elusive CKG. I am really hoping to make it next year.

Fields of Battle was . . ASTOUNDING. Absolutely fantastic game. Should have some pics up soon.

[I'm going to do a separate post to highlight some of the gaming goodness of this product by the master . . Bowbe!]

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Bowbe wrote:
Had an AWESOME battle yesterday that went on literally ALL Day!

Ya done reallllll good, son! That game was one of the best RPG experience that I've had the good fortune to be part of!

Good to meet ya and thanks for showcasing a fantastic game!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

brotherdew wrote:
I hate that the kids and I had to miss Sunday, but we had a blast at our first Trollcon.

When I got home, I pulled out my newly signed Larry Elmore red box set to show my wife. She very politely rolled her eyes in a patronizing way and said ok....

But on to next year, only 365 days (or so depending on the date for next year). My daughter, Ashlee is already planning a costume for next year. I heard her mumble something about an elf.

Thank you and your son for playing in my OD&D game on saturday morning. You both did a great job helping to root out the dark fey that was haunting Cairnwych.
-Genghis Khan

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Ah, so that's what happened to the hat! Yes, it's mine, though Ben had appropriated it. I'll get with Richard about getting it to MD.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Breakdaddy wrote:

Thanks for the plug. Glad to run'em, and plan to keep doing so!

I made some changes to the setup of the kobold game this year that I think worked out really well, giving the players a much better feel for playing the monster roles. Also pretty happy with the challenge level - had there not been some great rolls in the last fight they might have had a near-TPK!

I was a bit less happy with the flow of the Traveller game - the scenario I'd set up left some players without much to do for a while. I'm also rusty as hell at CT. The players all seemed enjoy the game though, so I'll call it a win. I may do a Mongoose Traveller game next year, though.

The scenario for the Sunday game really needed four hours; I thought I'd cut it down enough but obviously not! Also, something much more evil that I could have done in the first fight occurred to me on the way home - alas for missed opportunities! I may tweak this scenario and run it again next year.

Ogre
Hlobane Orc

Post by Ogre »

Had fun.

Want to game more next con and maybe run something official like.

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Thank you and your son for playing in my OD&D game on saturday morning. You both did a great job helping to root out the dark fey that was haunting Cairnwych.

Thanks, we had a blast. ODD is a great game. I see where some of the rules changes are good, but the utter simplicity of the game is beautiful.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Ogre wrote:
Had fun.

Want to game more next con and maybe run something official like.

We can always use more official games, dude. Get with McBain when it's close to the next Troll Con and he will put you on the list of folks who run games for the next one. There is no telling what I'll be running next year, but I only ran two games this year (OD&D 1974 with no supplements and C&C). There was a lot of demand for more OD&D so I dropped the ball by limiting my OD&D game to 6 players. I'll make it bigger next time. I wanted to play in many more, particularly John's Traveller game. I'm mad at Tree for getting the only original Traveller box from Castle Perilous at TC (nah, just jealous!).
-Genghis Khan

Ogre
Hlobane Orc

Post by Ogre »

Breakdaddy wrote:
We can always use more official games, dude. Get with McBain when it's close to the next Troll Con and he will put you on the list of folks who run games for the next one.

Good deal, definitely want to get more involved next year.

mabon5127
Ungern

Post by mabon5127 »

CKDad wrote:
Thanks for the plug. Glad to run'em, and plan to keep doing so!

I made some changes to the setup of the kobold game this year that I think worked out really well, giving the players a much better feel for playing the monster roles. Also pretty happy with the challenge level - had there not been some great rolls in the last fight they might have had a near-TPK!

I was a bit less happy with the flow of the Traveller game - the scenario I'd set up left some players without much to do for a while. I'm also rusty as hell at CT. The players all seemed enjoy the game though, so I'll call it a win. I may do a Mongoose Traveller game next year, though.

The scenario for the Sunday game really needed four hours; I thought I'd cut it down enough but obviously not! Also, something much more evil that I could have done in the first fight occurred to me on the way home - alas for missed opportunities! I may tweak this scenario and run it again next year.

CKDad was great! I had a blast in all your games. The Ogre hunting expo was hampered by the limited time, the number of people (many were so far away), and the amount of ambient noise going on around.

My brother and I were thoroughly entertained!

Morgan