Favorite Game Company???

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Joe
Unkbartig

Favorite Game Company???

Post by Joe »

Whats your favorite game company?

Whats your favorite 3rd party publisher?

Why?

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My favorite is Troll Lord Games, because they make C&C and a lot of cool support products.

I like Paizo because they simply make a lot of awesome products that I like to use in my C&C, give fee PDF's when I subscribe and talk to the fans as a point of doing business.

Green Ronin because they make a lot fo cool products (True 20, M&M and Dragon Age) and provide great customer service and lots of cool freebies over the years. They also do a fairly good job of communicating with their fan base.

Cubicle 7 because they have been publishing some kick a**e stuff and I really like the gang I got to hang out with at Gen Con 2009. They also realize the value of customer service and communicating with the fans.

Necromancer and Frog God Games, because they have done some of my all time favorite adventures and products, and Bill is one fun guy to hang with.

Mongoose, because they also make some really kick butt RPG's, Traveller, Judge Dredd and Runequest being my most favored, with PAranoia being up there as well. I just wish they communicated with the fan base a bit better, but they still do a better job of it than most.

Those are my big ones.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

TLG of course...

MJXII second...

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

TLG is the winner in my book.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

FASA. Sorry, they made several awesome games that I would love to play even to this day, like Shadowrun and Earthdawn. They were innovators and experimenters. And... they made Battletech.

But, in print game companies, I do much like the materials made by TLG and Steve is always nice to me, even when I don't deserve it. He is a class guy and one I wish I could learn from, but I'm just too stubborn.

I also like some of the single-publishers, or extremely small press, like Brave Halfling or Arcana Creations. They've got heart and drive and are willing to give a try... I like that.

I do enjoy several other things from all over, and I'd have to give props to TSR, Judges Guild, Mayfair, Chaosium, Iron Crown Enterprises, and many more stalwart defenders of "the game."

I hope maybe Frank and Tim can start their company in the next few years and then I'll probably add them, too.

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

Post by Secret Skeleton »

Company and product will have to be rated separately for this to be accurate for me.

I cannot ever state a favorite, but I can tell you who I do not like:

Paizo: When my friend's books kept falling apart, they replaced two of them, and then Lisa Stevens' claimed he was "using them incorrectly" and closed down the topic where all these people were mad that their books had fallen apart. This was my gay friend, the one who is so ordered he voluntarily took the trash out from my game room.

WotC: Because they just do not get it. At all. When I think of Bill Slavicsek, I pictured the scene from Silence of the Lambs when Buffalo Bill is dancing with a mangina. He's off in his own little world.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

TSR for launching the whole she-bang and TLG for their great customer service and relationship with the fan base.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Yeah...once Victorious hits the pavement, AC is gonna be right up there too.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Ogre
Hlobane Orc

Post by Ogre »

Ganesha Games, great rule sets for extremely cheap, ran by a real nice guy as well.

These are miniature war games and not RPG's btw

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

The Troll Lords are tops, of course.

I really liked Mongoose Publishing. They also keep good relations with their customers, and have good customer service as well.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Folks...I'm looking to reference these companies that I have never heard of them. Amagrams do not help me if I have never heard of the company.

Who do you like, and why?

I like Troll Lords...they come off as real guys willing to listen and engage the fan base.

For 3rd party I like Necromancer...now Frog God Games. Products are the reason I mention them. I love playing NG/FGG stuff. The fact that they are supporting 2 games I will never play, but will continue to faithfully buy their stuff for the games I do play says a lot imho.

I would like to check out some of those above mentioned if I can.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

I have to say TLG... C&C has revitalized my interest in roleplaying... it never went away, but it got a bit stale for a while... and then I found C&C and I feel like it's 1980 again... and I'm that excited about playing.

And of course... like has been said previously... TSR is my "all time" favorite for creating not only the original D&D... but a lot of other great games as well (Gamma World, Star Frontiers, GangBusters, Buck Rogers, the list goes on and on).

mabon5127
Ungern

Post by mabon5127 »

Ogre wrote:
Ganesha Games, great rule sets for extremely cheap, ran by a real nice guy as well.

These are miniature war games and not RPG's btw

I agree! I met Andrea at Origins and he is a pretty awesome person. Probably the best skirmish rules (Song of Blades and Heroes) ever, at least the most playable.

Favorite is hard but TLG is right up there, not for great products, but for their relationship with their customers. They are just darn nice people!

I like their products as well but for me its about people.

I also enjoy Barbarians of Lemuria.

I own a lot of systems but have played remarkably few of them more than once if at all.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hard question to answer.

Favorite Game company is probably TSR. They started the whole shebang-a-bang. It's how I got started and absolutely lost myself in the mystical acts of imagination develpment, worldbuilding and roleplaying. Thanks Mr. Gygax!

Of course, TLG is up there because they make my favorite version of the game I love so.
3rd Party publisher is definitely Necromancer Games/Frog God Games. That company makes my favorite module of all time, and makes probably 5 or 6 of my top-10 favorite modules/supplements in this hobby.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I should also add Reaper Miniatures and Mega Miniatures as 3rd party companies.

I was thinking strictly of companies that were still in operation when I first posted. If we're including the defunct ones, then I'll also add TSR, the original version of Judges Guild, and Ral Partha miniatures.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

What I look for in a game company or publisher:
A game I want to play. (If it's a game I don't want to play YET, I won't hold my breath for it to become a game I want to play).
Activity. I want to see that the creators are still supporting it.
No obvious marketing schemes. I get they have to make a living, just don't insult me to my face with your business model.
Community. I generally have lots of questions and some flaw in my brain makes me care for some reason what the creator intended vs. what I interpret. Also, I just like chatting with like-minded folks about the awesome adventure I just ran/played.
Support. I hope I never need to deal with such a thing, but if I do I hope there is a reasonable person I can talk to about any issues I have with shipping, missing pieces/pages, etc.
Principals involved in the community. I like to see the monarch of the company walking among his or her subjects (as long as it isn't at the cost of getting anything done.)

Most of the time I buy a game cold online or at my FLGS because it sounds or looks awesome and I learn the other details later, so they aren't criteria for selection, at least initially. I don't currently write or produce for games, so the inner workings of game companies and publishers are mostly just gossip to me.

Anyway, which companies do I like now? The ones I keep buying stuff from are:
Troll Lord Games. I think they do a pretty good job.
Arcana Creations They support the game I play and make good, detail oriented adventures.

There are lots of old games I will play despite them having many or any of the above criteria. I guess I have different rules for that stuff. A large part of it is if the company is gone, they can't make any more bad decisions to make me switch :).

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Defunct: TSR

Current: Vajra Enterprises. Some of the most unique worlds to play in. No need for supplements, as each book is written with pretty much everything you need.

3rd party: Cubicle 7 for all their FATE based games.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I'd have to say TLG is way up there, most likely at the tops. I love how accessible and friendly the Trolls have been at the Cons where I've met them. Plus, I never get the unspoken feeling from them (like I do from some types I've met at cons) that they're anything but 'one of us'. They've been eager to talk about and sell their goods or just shoot the bull, and they very consistently put out a high quality product. And plus, I love C&C.... so I guess there's a fair bit of bias there. But oh well.
For me, at least Paizo's up there, too. I know some people have had their issues with Paizo, but I haven't. Their books and adventures are almost always very high-quality in their look, feel and are well-written and lavishly illustrated. If I ever get any 3PP adventures off the ground, I'd want them to have a look and feel like Paizo's work. I myself have gotten extraordinary customer service from them, as well, and for the most part, their writers have been pretty accessible around the cons, and seem open and friendly. My only gripe with Paizo is that their omnibus, Pathfinder (for as wonderful as it is) is the sort of rules-bloated system that I've found myself starting to try to get away from.

Green Ronin gets a nod from me, too. Everything they touch lately seems to turn to gold, and they're as friendly as anyone I've met at any cons.

Smaller 3PP, I really like Tabletop Adventures. I love the niche they fill with their "Bits" line.

I'm sure there are others, but I don't want to hog up the whole thread.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Oooh! Yeah, Tabletop Adventures! I am glad Necromancer Games worked with them in getting Mother of all Encounter Tables and Mother of all Treasure Tables published, since it turned me on to the other cool things they do. Great people!

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Benoist
Hlobane Orc

Post by Benoist »

Malhavoc Press. I love everything Monte Cook has done as a third party publisher. Ptolus first and foremost. Arcana Evolved. Iron Heroes. The books of Might. I like it all. Plus, Monte and Sue Cook are great people.
Black Blade Publishing, Brave Hafling Publishing, Mythmere Games. The core of the Swords & Wizardry experience up to this point, all of them populated with gamers I've come to interact with and know, all of them great people with a passion for the game. All my heroes.
Pied Piper Publishing. Rob Kuntz's stuff is amazing. And he's a great guy. Again, a combination of great ideas and products with good personalities does it for me.

Oh God. Too many to count honestly. Lots of great people out there, including here on these very forums.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

The Trolls are my favorite! Followed by Mongoose & Paizo.

I would also like to remember the old TSR (when Gary was at the helm), they are the ones that got me started.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

TSR (before Gary's ouster)
Chaosium
Avalon Hill (pre-Hasbro)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Wow, I thought I had posted here . . oh, well

my favs!

TLG

BHP

PPP

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I have to say TLG, or they might fire me!!
TSR for the good ole days - before 2nd ed.

Expeditious Retreat Press - some good ole fashion 1ed modules, quick service.

Brave Halfing - same as above.

Pied Piper...

There's alot of decent 3rd party 1ed groups out there now putting out some neat stuff.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Am I correct in picking up a trend here?

It seems the majority of answers seems related to a specific genre, i.e. retro clones.

It seems perhaps because of the sort of forum I posted this to but it sounds like many here have a specific gaming interest and you like those companies that support that interest.

You like companies with the old gamer turned publisher approach, or the fact that these guys make themselves available.

I have to admit my interest never went further than the published piece except for just a few years ago.

It seems to me as soon as the game support becomes more than an extracurricular interest, (Lets use John at BHP as an example if you don't mind John) i won't assume to speak for him but from my own impression he is a gamer that loves gamng. Heck even Bill Webb i don't think ever quit his day job.

Yet these guys publish one kicking product after another.

Then there are companies that have grown to the point that things change.

The game seems to lose it's soul and few folks really even take notice until it is too late and the fate of our favorite pastimes goes down the path of corporate marketting schemes yada yada ya!

Then a certain small percentage of the fan base slump off looking for the soul that was lost.

Tis how I found C&C...through purposeful soul searching.

But I'll never win a popularity contest, nor win your loyalty as a customer for my charisma and baby kissing abilities.

Some of my answers to certain queries may be more information than anyone ever asked for.

This guy actually believes there is such a thing as a stupid question and will not hold any punches when expressing that to folks. Go ahead and ask me for a splat book...go ahead...I dare ya...but thats for another thread.
If i were socially skilled I would have found a different hobby I am sure.

I don't know enough about many of the retro clone things to have an opinion on those companies, but I do know the human equation is huge and is what impresses me most about TLG.

But it really is the quality final product that wins my loyal patronage and that ticket goes to NG now FGG. He could be a raving boor for all I care. Just give me good game material at an affordable price in a consistent manner.

Yet I don't think I have noticed the two behemoths of the industry mentioned yet.

Interesting...yet as this is not a thread to bag on least favorites, it is still interesting.
My 3rd favorite is Green Ronin, not for any customer base, not for all the d20 splat books they offered but for the weird line of adventures they published. Cutting Edge I think they were called. Freeport as a universal point setting was classic also imho.

Good stuff!

Please shout out more of your favorite game companies and what has made them your favorites.
Edit Is pied Piper Publishing an active company? I have visited their website to find a dead forum and the same few products (Expensive i might add) but i don't see anything new there?

I don't spend money for collections sake, and the Dark Druids I bought from TLG did not get off the shelf.

Anyone have any insight into PPP?

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Judges Guild is another favorite.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Philotomy Jurament wrote:
Judges Guild is another favorite.

D'oh! How'd I forget about them!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am not just "old school", I have too much stuff from Paizo, Green Ronin, Cubicle 7, and Mongoose on my shelves to be categorized as just old school.

I think it is far more that the smaller companies remember it is their customers who make them successful and value them more.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Treebore wrote:
I am not just "old school", I have too much stuff from Paizo, Green Ronin, Cubicle 7, and Mongoose on my shelves to be categorized as just old school.

I think it is far more that the smaller companies remember it is their customers who make them successful and value them more.

Generalities by their very nature assume there are exceptions.

Labels by their very nature miss in accurately describing a person or genre. But trends run deep whether we see them or not.

I almost did not use the label Old School as it carries too much baggage, but it seemed accurate for the S&W chap and his list of small companies.

Treebore, your mention of Paizo, GR, and Mongoose do not fall into the small company generality that you allude to.

Can we leave it at some "companies remember it is their customers who make them successful and value them more" ?

You are by far more active and play more games than the vast number of folks I refer to with the label "Hardcore gamer". I believe this makes you an exception amongst the exceptional.
I myself cannot get past Paizo's art to see anything else. My own shortcoming...I know. But when you not only have a black paladin in your core rulebook but a female black paladin I cannot help but wonder what sort of PC approach or statement is being made at the expense of MY time and money. I saw a Dark Heresy cover that looked exactly like it, only they had oversized guns instead of swords. Could be same artist for all I know. The massive phallic swords and the anime looking characters I am sure are popular...just not for me.

Give me the classic b&w interiors and the sexist Vall/Frazetta barbarian defending the bombshell maiden any day over androgeny!

Just a rant...sorry, we've gone here before.

So tell me how these larger companies mentioned above stand out of the crowd from others as far as valued customer goes?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

They are small in comparison to WOTC, who is who everyone measures others and themselves by. Granted they are not 1 or 2 man operations like most of the OSR companies are, or a number of the companies that make PF compatible products, or Traveller compatible products, etc...

So its all relative. I am pretty sure Green Ronin, Paizo, etc... still all meet the definition of "small business", which I believe is under 50 employee's. Not free lancers, but employee's.