Infernal Pacts- Bargaining With the Powers of Hell

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
KaiserKris
Red Cap

Infernal Pacts- Bargaining With the Powers of Hell

Post by KaiserKris »

So far I've managed to plow through the basic stats of a number of the devils (Pit Fiend, Horned Devil, Ice Devil, Bone Devil, Erinyes), which tells one a fair bit about how to fight one of those minions, but little or nothing about one of the most important ways by which an individual can interact with the devils. That is, the pact. All true devils are capable of making bargains with mortals, offering certain advantages in exchange for a variety of services. While the Faustian bargain for the user's immortal soul is the classic bargain, devils have a variety of motivations and are often willing to bargain for goods and services instead. They know well that most of those that bargain with devils will ultimately end up in Hell anyway ...

The following mostly details some of the more obvious benefits that a devil can grant to a petitioner, rather than more subtle services it can perform. This list will be added to and altered as new potential pact powers are considered.

Imp- Imps have little to offer on their own, and their services as familiars are typically offered by more powerful devils. Individually, they may be able to perform minor services (stealing items, arranging poisonings), as well as offer their own services to a mage as a familiar.

Infernal Legionnaires- As the foot soldiers of Hell, Infernal Legionnaires are never involved in bargaining, though the services of a number of them may be included in the pacts that other devils make.

Summoning An Infernal Legionnaire: An Infernal Legionnaire (or a pair) can be summoned with a call fiend, but do not engage in pacts and will attack anyone not protected with a protection against evil spell.

Bearded Devil- Bearded Devils can grant their hellish rage power to a mortal for a period of up to one week, can perform a specific service themselves, or give the individual a masterwork weapon.

Chain Devil- A Chain Devil can grant a mortal the use of a +1 spiked chain as a weapon, perform a specific service themselves, or grant either their pain strike or animate chain powers to a mortal for up to one week.

Barbed Devil- A Barbed Devil can grant the mortal the use of +1 barbed chainmail as armour, perform a specific service themselves, or grant their barbed defence power to a mortal for up to one week.

Erinyes- An Erinyes gain grant the mortal the use of a +1 flaming weapon of their choice, perform a specific service themselves, or grant their covenant of destruction power or a +2 bonus to either Strength or Dexterity, or one its non-weapon immunities to a mortal for up to one week. A fallen paladin can petition an erinyes to become a blackguard as long as he is below 10th level.

Bone Devil- A Bone Devil can grant the mortal the use of any +1 magical weapon with the unholy, flaming, axiomatic or keen qualities, perform a specific service themselves (or assign their agents to do so) or grant their devil's dance power or a +2 bonus to their Wisdom or Charisma, or one of its non-weapon immunities to a mortal for up to one week. Bone Devils can also cast their raise dead spell at the behest of the petitioner. A fallen paladin or cleric can petition a bone devil to become a diabolic cleric or blackguard provided they are of lower level than the bone devil.

Ice Devil- An Ice Devil can grant the mortal the use of any +1 or +2 magical weapon with the unholy, flaming, axiomatic or keen qualities, perform a specific service themselves (or assign their agents to do so) or grant their touch of frost or shifting powers, one of its non-weapon immunities, or a +2 to their Constitution or Intelligence to a mortal for up to one week. Fallen clerics and paladins can petition a bone devil to become an evil cleric or blackguard provided they are of lower level than the ice devil.

Horned Devil- A Horned Devil can grant the mortal the use of any +1 or +2 magical weapon with the unholy, flaming, axiomatic or keen qualities, perform a specific service themselves (or assign their agents to do so) or grant their immolating strike or stun powers, one of its immunities (though not to non-magical weapons) or a +2 to their Strength or Constitution for a mortal for up to one week. Fallen clerics and paladins can petition a horned devil to become an evil cleric or a blackguard provided they are of lower level than the horned devil.

Pit Fiend: A Pit Fiend can grant the mortal the use of any weapon up to +3 enchantment with the unholy, flaming, axiomatic, bane (non-devils) or keen qualities, assign a lower devil to perform a specific service, or grant their aura of command, aura of terror or hellfire mastery powers, or a +2 boost to Strength, Constitution or Charisma for a mortal for up to one week. Pit Fiends can also permanently raise a character's Strength, Constitution or Charisma by one point, permanently grant an individual one of its immunities (though not to non-magical weapons) or cast a wish on the mortal's behalf- though this action should be considered to raise a terrible price. Fallen clerics and paladins can petition a pit fiend to become an evil cleric or blackguard provided they are ove lower level than the pit fiend.

Spells:
Call Lesser Fiend: (2nd level wizard/cleric)
Summons an imp or quasit to negotiate with.

Call Fiend: (5th level wizard/cleric)
Summons a devil or demon of up to 10 HD to negotiate with. Use protection against evil/law/chaos to prevent attack from these fiends.

Call Greater Fiend: (8th level wizard/cleric)
Summons a devil or demon of up to 18 HD to negotiate with. Use protection against evil/law/chaos to prevent attack from these fiends.

Weapon Qualities:
Axiomatic: +1d6 damage to chaotic creatures. Lawful-aligned.
Flaming: +1d6 fire damage.
Keen: Scores a critical hit on 19 as well as 20.
Unholy: +1d6 damage to good creatures. Evil-aligned.

clavis123
Ulthal

Re: Infernal Pacts- Bargaining With the Powers of Hell

Post by clavis123 »

Good work. I've really enjoyed your work on the SRD Devils so far, and I like how you've incorporated the diabolical pact motif here. Since my own work on Devils (and other extra-planer beings) has focused on translating the old lore, I also like to see the creative, pulpy, and high fantasy-oriented treatments that others have created.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Re: Infernal Pacts- Bargaining With the Powers of Hell

Post by KaiserKris »

clavis123 wrote:Good work. I've really enjoyed your work on the SRD Devils so far, and I like how you've incorporated the diabolical pact motif here. Since my own work on Devils (and other extra-planer beings) has focused on translating the old lore, I also like to see the creative, pulpy, and high fantasy-oriented treatments that others have created.
I love the folkloric versions of devils and demons quite a bit, but I have an abiding affection for the SRD nasties and it's been a lot of fun working on them. And of course, what are devils without pacts? Of course, what's listed here is only a small guide to some of the more obvious favors ... devils are nothing if not creative when it comes to new inducements to join the Dark Side.