THE FIRST CKG EVER!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Greetings all. I was lucky enough to be present when the first full copy of the CKG came off of the presses. I subsequently stole it. ;)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by serleran »

Softcover. Must be a digest version.

Still, great to see it does exist.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Digest, Softcover; aye.

I am not complainin'!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

And there we have it. Visual proof of the elusive CKG.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Breakdaddy wrote:Greetings all. I was lucky enough to be present when the first full copy of the CKG came off of the presses. I subsequently stole it. ;)
I hate you. ;)

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

garydee wrote:I hate you. ;)
Stand in line! :lol:
-Genghis Khan

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Ok Breakdaddy. Spill your guts. Is it as cool as advertised?

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Ill be reading it later on, will report back when possible!

PS- MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL, I've enabled avatars! :)
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sweet. I can finally use my little man wrestler.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I'm also kind of geeking out on the two Crusader compilations (also pictured), so I've got quite a bit of time to waste on all of this 8-)
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

serleran wrote:Sweet. I can finally use my little man wrestler.
:shock: :o

Oh, you meant the avatar...
:twisted:
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Crusader compilations? I missed those being for sale. Hope I can get them next month.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Yeah the one with the Dragon-riding troll is 1-10 (left) and the warrior about to get hammered by the giant is 11-20 (right).
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Are those listed for sale? I can't find them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

They were for sale last year.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

*wipes tear from eye*

They are digest.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Steve says they're still for sale. Just called him about it.

He says he is going to make sure theyre on the catalog.

PS- He just shipped off the first lot of CKGs to some lucky preorders! :D
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I think there was a very limited printing and then something happened and they had to stop production. I never got the ones I had wanted, but I am sure, now, that the shop seems to be in swing again, they will be reproduced. Just have to wait it out. I don't think they are "currently available."

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Breakdaddy wrote:PS- He just shipped off the first lot of CKGs to some lucky preorders! :D
Pinch me!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I meant to call Steve earlier this week, but had other things ruining my days. I'll try next week.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote:PS- He just shipped off the first lot of CKGs to some lucky preorders! :D
Pinch me!
:lol:
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

OK so chapter 1:

There are 6 methods of attribute generation here, including a point buy system. Not particularly groundbreaking but it had to be addressed, so I'm happy it was the first thing in there. Great stuff for newbs as well as guys who want an official way to alter the power level of the game.
Attribute modifiers are addressed next. The standard -3 to +3 is discussed, as are a couple of other optional tables that will slightly alter the power level of the characters, particularly at lower levels. Attributes up to 30 are discussed and are considered Godlike. Indeed!
A new optional attribute, beauty, is discussed.
Character aging and its effects on attributes is discussed.
Epic level adventures are discussed, and a slew of pretty damned cool new powers are added to each of the classes.

Character races are discussed with a focus on their height/weight, age, and languages.
language immersion and literacy are discussed
Adding new playable races to the game with a focus on gaming mechanics is discussed, then racial variants of the new playable races are discussed along with a small section on roleplaying the new race. Examples are provided such as "deep dwarf" and the "longleaf halfling".
Mechanics are introduced for racial interactions between characters.

This is a pretty meaty first chapter and I will need to re-read it later in order to absorb many particulars.

Onward to chapter 2: Magic!
-Genghis Khan

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Breakdaddy wrote:OK so chapter 1:

There are 6 methods of attribute generation here, including a point buy system. Not particularly groundbreaking but it had to be addressed, so I'm happy it was the first thing in there. Great stuff for newbs as well as guys who want an official way to alter the power level of the game.
Attribute modifiers are addressed next. The standard -3 to +3 is discussed, as are a couple of other optional tables that will slightly alter the power level of the characters, particularly at lower levels. Attributes up to 30 are discussed and are considered Godlike. Indeed!
A new optional attribute, beauty, is discussed.
Character aging and its effects on attributes is discussed.
Epic level adventures are discussed, and a slew of pretty damned cool new powers are added to each of the classes.

Character races are discussed with a focus on their height/weight, age, and languages.
language immersion and literacy are discussed
Adding new playable races to the game with a focus on gaming mechanics is discussed, then racial variants of the new playable races are discussed along with a small section on roleplaying the new race. Examples are provided such as "deep dwarf" and the "longleaf halfling".
Mechanics are introduced for racial interactions between characters.

This is a pretty meaty first chapter and I will need to re-read it later in order to absorb many particulars.

Onward to chapter 2: Magic!
Just how much chum do you HAVE to throw in the waters... ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

:oops:
:D

OK, Ill stop now!
:)
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'd be interested in insights on things not already public knowledge. Contents of Chapter 1 were somewhat revealed around Troll Con and we already know things like adjuncts and an overview on illusions (possibly even including specific spells) is possible.... how about something we don't already know?

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

Breakdaddy wrote::oops:

OK, Ill stop now!
Chum away, my friend, chum away. :D
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

serleran wrote:I'd be interested in insights on things not already public knowledge. Contents of Chapter 1 were somewhat revealed around Troll Con and we already know things like adjuncts and an overview on illusions (possibly even including specific spells) is possible.... how about something we don't already know?
I was going over what I'd just read and haven't gotten far enough along to discuss anything else of consequence yet.
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Demiurge wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote::oops:

OK, Ill stop now!
Chum away, my friend, chum away. :D
SPOILER ALERT:

I wasnt really going to stop ;)
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

OK so a chapter 2 teaser, this isnt going to be complete, so if Im missing something that you're looking for in a particular chapter then it doesnt necessarily mean it isnt in the book

Chapter 2 opens up with a discussion of spellbooks. It lists their base spell resistance in case some sorry bastard wants to destroy your spellbook (EGAD!) and discussed their resistance to non magical attacks. It differentiates spellbooks based on the power of the mage who created them. Penning spells to your spellbook is discussed as is the emergency option of casting directly from your spellbook.
Starting spells are discussed at length.
The components of a spell are discussed in some detail (material, focus, divine focus, etc.) as are the quality of the components and their effect on spells. Material component availability is discussed as is the potential loss of holy symbols and the manufacturing of new ones (and the penance one might need to do in order to properly atone for the loss).
Cost of material components is discussed and a table provided. Resale of components found in the field are discussed.
The wizards wand and the clerics holy symbol as receptacles of power; conferring spell components to a wand or holy symbol; rituals for integrating material components into wands or holy symbols; costs of said objects and casting from them.
Next, we have a discussion of buying and selling magical items. short tables on availability and trade of these coveted objects; how the reputation of the seller affects the trade; experience points for casting spells
Divine magic is discussed next; the consecration of holy ground; healing in the temporal world and clerics as field medics. pantheons and holy water wrap up the divine discussion.
Illusionists are discussed at length and a rationale provided for the new Illusionist-as-healer trope. Photonic, plasmic, mental, and hypnotic illusions are broken down and discussed. Illusions and their effects on the mindless are discussed as well as their influence over the unconcious. Disbelief of illusions is spoken of briefly.

Spell behaviour is discussed with examples.
Summoning spells are broken down and tables provided for summoning magic.
The vancian magic system is discussion and its integration with the SIEGE mechanic.
Next we have a system for casting spells using a new mana-based mechanic.
Next we see a spell slot system a-la the 3rd edition D&D sorceror.
Next is an advanced spell slots system that utilizes spell points and is mathematically simpler than the aforementioned mana system.
next we have the "quick-charge" mechanic, wherein a caster who has spent his energies for the day may risk further casting.
Finally, we have a treatment of scroll usage by non casters.

/chapter 2

Chapter 3: Expanding Equipment is next....

As an aside- I can't wait to get to chapter 5, where we begin with WORLDS OF ADVENTURE: OVERLAND then move on to CITIES and DUNGEONS in the following two chapters. This is the stuff I like the most as a CK. Will report.
-Genghis Khan

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Quick question about the digest format: is it hard to read?