Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Dretch

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
KaiserKris
Red Cap

Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Dretch

Post by KaiserKris »

Dretch:
Several squat demons, a little taller than dwarves, swarm towards you, sharp claws on their spindly arms. For such squat creatures, they move remarkably swiftly- you see the flies buzzing around them and the mad determination to rip and tear in their eyes …

And as soon as it appears that you are more than a match for them- and with no master in sight, they just as swiftly turn tail and run from you. Sadly, the smell of the creatures will linger, long after they are gone.

No. Encountered: 2-6, 10-20, 200-400
Size: Medium
HP: 20 (3d10)
Move: 40 (walk)
AC: 16
Attacks: Claws (d6+1)
Special: Demonic Aura, Diseased, Immunities, Stench
Primes: Dexterity
Int: Low
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Type: Extraplanar (demon)
Treasure:
XP: 85 + 3

Special Abilities:
Demonic Attributes: All individuals passing within the presence of a demon must make a save against fear at the base Charisma save + the demon’s hit dice. If they fail, they take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and saving throws while the demon is within sight. Demons are capable of speaking and understanding any language, as well as using telepathy, and possess perfect darkvision.

Diseased: If a Dretch passes within 10 feet of an individual, they must make a Constitution save or contract an illness, which will manifest in 1d4 days, and cause 1d4 Strength, Consitution and Dexterity damage for 1d4+1 days, unless cured.

Immunities: Dretches cannot be harmed by ordinary weapons- weapons must be cold iron, good-aligned or magical to harm them. They are immune to acid, disease and poison.

Strench: The stink of Dretches is unbelievable, and lingers long after a Dretch is dead. Anyone who physically battles a Dretch contracts their smell, and suffers from a 1d4+1 effective penalty to Charisma for the next 24 hours. A restoration or a very long bath (at least one hour) will remove the stench.

The lowly dretches are the base creatures of the infernal horde, and often are sent forth in vast howling swarms to attack devilish armies. While fierce when they believe they have the upper hand, dretches are cowardly in the face of equal or greater strength and their resolve is often easily broken by the much superior discipline of the Infernal Legionnaires. Though cowardly, all dretches are also consumed with the desire to prove themselves to the Abyss and undergo a coveted evolution into a higher form.

Dretches are not highly intelligent, but have a reasonably good eye for strength and will avoid powerful adventurers if possible, though it must be said that they fear their demonic overlords more and will not do so if one of their superiors is present. They usually prefer to rush enemies, relying on their impressive speed to get them within melee range, where they can inflict their claws, stench and disease on their targets. Dretches will usually take advantage of flanking or favorable terrain, and have sometimes demonstrated the ability to build simple traps and ambushes to attack enemies they are too cowardly to face fairly.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Re: Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Dretch

Post by csperkins1970 »

I'm digging your treatment of the various D&D fiends! Nice, evocative, text and interesting abilities.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Re: Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Dretch

Post by KaiserKris »

Thank you! I think one of the interesting things about the Dretch for me is that while they're physically not that impressive and cowardly, they're actually fairly dangerous due to their debuffing capabilities. One of the things I wanted emphasized that fiends are significantly more powerful than "average" monsters, hence the d10 hit dice and powerful abilities.

Defeating devils and demons should be a major accomplishment.