Castle Keepers Guide UPDATE

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
zarathustra
Red Cap

Re: Castle Keepers Guide UPDATE

Post by zarathustra »

That was a great help Metal, thanks heaps mate. Above and beyond.

Hmm, I think I'll splash out and get the hardcover once work starts back up.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Here is another potential Errata for you very minor and likely more of a style of writing issue.

Page 238, First paragraph, top left, last sentence of it....

"...a series of interconnected NPCs (see Chapter 6 above)"

Recommend that you take out the "above" and insert a page number.
Also, if you haven't done it yet in the PDF or word that your using already (likely you guys did but figured I'd mention it anyway, 'cause we want this CKG print run to be an "11" not just a "10"), run a "FIND" check for all the "#" or "above" to catch any place you might have forgot to replace a page number and inserted either of those two as a place-holder.

Also, on page 242 under, "USING CLASS BASED MAGIC ITEMS", 2nd Paragraph, it says, "If it explodes, it does damage as noted below in Destruction of Any Given Magic Item."

Same thing here, replace the below with a page number (in this case page 246). But one other thing with this particular example, is that it isn't actually correct. The heading you want to reference is simply "Destroying Magic" on the same page, as that section describes the dex save needed when an item fails it's savings throw. verses "Destruction of Any Given Magic Item" which, seems like it is going to be magic item generic, but ends up focusing only a few and the text is centered on the portable hole. The table 16.15, might be better utilized if the descriptive text before it explained that, "These are some sample examples of what happens when miscellanous magic items are destoryed, feel free as the CK to adjust the damage as needed." or something to that effect.

Anyway, my point was that the "Destroying Magic" is where it takes about the level of the magic item, the damage and the savings throw for magic items in general. The other one (as it is printed now) does not.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Troll Lord wrote:Hey all,

I've entered in all these edits and a few besides. I want to thank everyone for your help. Even the smallest editorial changes helps, in the long run, make for a better product. You all continue to be a major reason that this job is actually fun. The book is in the last lap.

With that in mind, we got hit by a huge storm and it shut central Arkansas down. So the equipment for hardbacking hasn't arrived yet. I'm telling you there is something about the CKG...someone needs to call in a cleric and have a remove curse spell cast!

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, I am glad to hear you enjoy working, not many can say that today. And I for one want to thank you and the Trolls, not only for the works you produce, but more for listening to your customers, embracing their ideas, taking their criticism, acknowledging mistakes, and actually acting on all of the above! It is what, in my mind, sets Troll Lord Games as such a great company, and when it comes to my RPG dollars, I first look to see what materials you have. If I had any complaints it would only be that I want more. :D Hasn't anyone figured how to clone you guys yet?

The Troll community here on the boards is great, helpful, willing to share ideas, and willing to embrace newcomers. Sure like any circle of friends and family there are points of contention, but the vast majority of posts are a wonderful resource of RPG goodness.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

koralas wrote:... I for one want to thank you and the Trolls, not only for the works you produce, but more for listening to your customers, embracing their ideas, taking their criticism, acknowledging mistakes, and actually acting on all of the above! It is what, in my mind, sets Troll Lord Games as such a great company ...
The Troll community here on the boards is great, helpful, willing to share ideas, and willing to embrace newcomers...the vast majority of posts are a wonderful resource of RPG goodness.
+1
hear hear and huzzah!

This is one of my favorite internet haunts, and that's no accident.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Relaxo wrote:This is one of my favorite internet haunts, and that's no accident.
And a big, fat +1 to that! Couldn't have said it better myself.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Steve/whomever

Has anything been done on the shipping options to Canada yet? Still the same one option on the site. Even if its the slowest shipping, I wanna preorder the dang hardcover ! :)

L.S.

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

TheMetal1 wrote:Here is another potential Errata for you very minor and likely more of a style of writing issue.

Page 238, First paragraph, top left, last sentence of it....

"...a series of interconnected NPCs (see Chapter 6 above)"

Recommend that you take out the "above" and insert a page number.
Also, if you haven't done it yet in the PDF or word that your using already (likely you guys did but figured I'd mention it anyway, 'cause we want this CKG print run to be an "11" not just a "10"), run a "FIND" check for all the "#" or "above" to catch any place you might have forgot to replace a page number and inserted either of those two as a place-holder.

Also, on page 242 under, "USING CLASS BASED MAGIC ITEMS", 2nd Paragraph, it says, "If it explodes, it does damage as noted below in Destruction of Any Given Magic Item."

Same thing here, replace the below with a page number (in this case page 246). But one other thing with this particular example, is that it isn't actually correct. The heading you want to reference is simply "Destroying Magic" on the same page, as that section describes the dex save needed when an item fails it's savings throw. verses "Destruction of Any Given Magic Item" which, seems like it is going to be magic item generic, but ends up focusing only a few and the text is centered on the portable hole. The table 16.15, might be better utilized if the descriptive text before it explained that, "These are some sample examples of what happens when miscellanous magic items are destoryed, feel free as the CK to adjust the damage as needed." or something to that effect.

Anyway, my point was that the "Destroying Magic" is where it takes about the level of the magic item, the damage and the savings throw for magic items in general. The other one (as it is printed now) does not.
Thanks for all you help, Metal

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

So where do you go to reserve a hardback copy? And how much is it?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

nightstorm wrote:So where do you go to reserve a hardback copy? And how much is it?
Here.

http://www.trolllord.com/catalog/index. ... l2nb0l06a4
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Hoping for some news today on the production end of things. I am hoping the presses start churning out the hardcovers next week.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Piperdog wrote:Hoping for some news today on the production end of things. I am hoping the presses start churning out the hardcovers next week.
That, apparently, is the happening plan. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

More Errata....

Page 62, under Non-Player Characters Defined

"...even sentient magic items can all be non-player characters (but not all are the random goblin is meant to be skewered,...."

Looks like too much space between are....the. Probably needs a semi-colon and one space.

Page 63, under Creating The Adherent, under Armor

Extra period at the end of the sentence.

under Abilities

"...A tanner cannot hide in shadows; his skill is ton work over leather gear.

I'm not versed in leather work, but this doesn't sound right, perhaps something like, "...his skill set is focused on making leather gear."

"...(for more on this refere to Chapter 6, page 107, Ecomnomic Tiers of Regions)."

Great reference, but does not match with the standard naming convention your using in the book. As a matter of preference, I think this is the best way of doing it, but I've seen throughout the book references simply to chapter or table.

Additionally, on page 64 and 65 you reference 100 different adherents in Table 4.1 Types of Adherents. It would be helpful to have included numbering them 1 through 100 in case someone wanted to use a % roll.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

jeff
Ungern

Post by jeff »

Any idea when they'll be at our FLGSs?

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I see all kinds of errata listed here, and all the reviews, and all kinds of excitement from thos whp have their CKG......but I would really like to get my hands on the CKG. I pre-ordered one but still have not received it. What kind of time frame are we thinking before those of us who dont have connections of some kind, will receive them?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Snoring Rock wrote:I see all kinds of errata listed here, and all the reviews, and all kinds of excitement from thos whp have their CKG......but I would really like to get my hands on the CKG. I pre-ordered one but still have not received it. What kind of time frame are we thinking before those of us who dont have connections of some kind, will receive them?
The recent youtube from the Trolls proposes a ship date of Mon-Tues for the HB pre-orders with follow-ups for retail etc soon after. Just make sure Murphy stays far away... ;)

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Snoring Rock wrote:I see all kinds of errata listed here, and all the reviews, and all kinds of excitement from thos whp have their CKG......but I would really like to get my hands on the CKG. I pre-ordered one but still have not received it. What kind of time frame are we thinking before those of us who dont have connections of some kind, will receive them?
Snoring Rock, just so you know, those of us who have a copy of the Castle Keepers Guide didn't have connections, we simply purchased the digest size version that was printed just before Christmas and part of the 12 days of Christmas sale. I too have pre-ordered the Hardback CKG, but haven't gotten that yet. So hopefully all that erratta and extra stuff Steve and the editing team saw along with those of us who had some time to post about the stuff we saw from the digest size CKG, will be corrected in the hardback when it finally ships to all of us. It is already a nine out of ten stars as is, with the fixing of the erratta and other stuff, it will take the CKG to eleven!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Woe and gnashing of teeth. From the main Troll Lord site............

Sweet lord the CKG just won't give up the fight. We are experiencing technical problems with the cover, but we are working the problem from about 11 different angles and trying to wrap it up. In the meantime check out the Anvil for new projects added to the release schedule for the year
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

:shock: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! :(

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

The book be cursed!!!

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

*waving hand in a cross shape*
E-a-es-sue Do-minae Donda-ae is Requieum....
Please don't beat me.

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

*whack*

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

"The book be cursed!!!" - So, you're telling us that every time we
pick up the CKG we better have a remove-curse spell (MANY of them)
handy if we want to switch books and actually use the PHB or M&T?
That's how cursed items work, right? :twisted:

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Rikitiki wrote:"The book be cursed!!!" - So, you're telling us that every time we pick up the CKG we better have a remove-curse spell (MANY of them)
handy if we want to switch books and actually use the PHB or M&T?
That's how cursed items work, right? :twisted:
Nope. That won't work. Once you picked up the CKG, there is no getting rid of it, short of a wish or limited wish spell. But you won't use it even if you happen to have those. There is also an immediate GM Alignment change where you will be unable to function without the CKG.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Fine! I'll order the digest already! Zeesh!
:D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I understand that there have been some difficulties with the binding process, but still, I feel I have to ask....has anyone got their hardcover CKG yet? and if so, tell us how cool it is, preferrably in the style of a Broadway Musical.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Oh PLEASE... SOMEBODY give the P-dog a song and dance number. That would be awesome. :D

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

O-klahoma where wind blows CKGs across the plains.....
O-klahoma Where the men folk always favor the CKG by name....
Please don't beat me.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Figured I'd cross post this a couple places, just so folks don't miss it.
Troll Lord wrote:Hey Folks,

As many of you know we are in the binding process for the CKG. We've pulled some amazingly long days (20 hours for Tim and I this past Friday) for the last 2 weeks. We've basically been working out kinks and problems and attempting to learn this new craft. The sad thing is that we did not have time (largely due to releases schedules for the trade market) to allow ourselves more time to learn this new craft. So many mistakes were made and much knowledge learned the only real way you can learn it...by getting ass deep into it and figuring it out. Which we've done, and then some.

All good fun and frustration and all that.

I won't go into all the problems we've had...almost everything chose now to break, from our cover printer to the dolly, Davis even managed to break our Goliath of a cutter, no easy task that...but they have certainly added to the time table. Multiple problems existed but a board warping was the worse. The board tended to curl up from the book block. This was largely due to the glue mixture and type.

On Saturday afternoon we thought we broke through and produced the first solid copies of the book. We waited for the book to settle and it did and it looked great. So we did another one following the same procedure and it worked great. Starting late Saturday night we began mass producing these things. It was just Tim and I at this point and we pumped out about 40 in no time. Great fun, excitement, etc etc. These are the pics the frog gave you. Frog.

However, Sunday morning arrived and a slight curling had occurred. The books had continued to settle. With even more determination and now with Davis arriving (he's real good with all sorts of chemicals) we returned to the drawing board. We discovered the board the manufacture sold us was chip board, not davey board. And that, more than likely, accounts for the warping. As company quartermaster this is my fault I should have been more diligent in what product we were ordering (he used the word board, so the sales rep probably assumed I knew, even as I assumed he know etc etc). I've posted the pics below. Note: the glue on the cover wipes off, this book was not wiped down after set.

So where this leaves us is with board that warps and another few days before we can get new board in. Which delays the CKG yet again.

Now, you guys have been insanely patient. 5 years for some, months for many pre-orders. We really appreciate that. You don't know how much joy we take out of making games for this crew, that being you guys.

But I know also that it is time to get these books into your hands. With that in mind. I'm going to offer up these options for pre-order folks:

1) We can offer you a full refund with shipping and you can order again in the next few weeks after it is definitely out.

2) You can take a partial refund of $10.00 + 1/2 of your shipping and we can get you a perfect bound edition out by Thursday. We are UV coating covers tomorrow for these and they need a day or so to dry real good before we bind them.

3) We can ship you one of the books we have already printed. Please check out the photos below and make sure you are happy with the book. If you are we will ship it immediately as is. For your pains we'll toss in something free here.

4) Wait another week or such. We will ship when we are happy with final product.

Again, I appreciate your patience in this and completely understand any and all frustration.

Steve

Post Script: This same problem has carried over to the MT of Aihrde and Gods and Monsters. But the fix for those books is much easier and we can ship those on Wednesday/Thursday with no problem.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7278&start=520 Big pictures here.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

DougP
Mist Elf

Post by DougP »

I'm content to wait a bit more, though I wouldn't object if there was an option 5) Free slip sleeve with PB artwork. Gotta have a place to keep all three books once the CKG gets here...

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

BINDING PROBLEMS!?

Heck, you Trolls got the originals....so just page through until
you get to the section on BDSM and bondage and such and...

wait! You did put in that section, didn't ya?