Simple Aihrdian Question

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
serleran
Mogrl

Simple Aihrdian Question

Post by serleran »

Is Iergild metal anything like meteoric iron?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Simple Aihrdian Question

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:Is Iergild metal anything like meteoric iron?
I should think so, except for the Iergild steel. Which btw, brings up the question of why the Trolls deemed Iergild gold and silver should have higher bonuses than Iergild steel?? :?:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It is an alchemical metal, not made from an ore.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That may be true, Treebore, but if so it makes the metal much more like ylem or phlogiston... an element rather than an alchemical creation which implies it was "manufactured" and that simply, to me, does not mesh with any of the history presented about the stuff.

As to why gold and silver and stronger, I am unsure except perhaps it represents a more pure form?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

My thought was that silver and gold are soft metals, whereby steel is an strengthened alloy.

brief search and this:

http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Metals/M ... etals.html

Haven't found anything in the Codex re: alchemy or metal making ~ serle, have you come across any passages with pertinent info?

:D

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No direct references in that regard, sir. But, the words used by a Troll are not always those which are used in English.

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Rhu, didn't you ask this question in the online chat the other night? If not, someone did, and the Troll Lord himself answered, saying something about the silver and gold being magical and blah blah blah (can't paraphrase well, I don't know the setting) from a something something, and that's why it's stronger or higher than the steel.

I am sure I saw something to that effect.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The alchemical process changes the inherent properties of the metal. Its kind of like how the Glass Steel spell or Ironwood spells work, but rather than be for non metal or even organic materials, it changes the property of the metal itself to be much stronger. So you can take gold, silver, even lead, and turn it into a much stronger material usable for weapons of war.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

sajflorida wrote:Rhu, didn't you ask this question in the online chat the other night? If not, someone did, and the Troll Lord himself answered, saying something about the silver and gold being magical and blah blah blah (can't paraphrase well, I don't know the setting) from a something something, and that's why it's stronger or higher than the steel.

I am sure I saw something to that effect.
I did and I may have missed that answer. Did Stevie give it? I only saw Davis mention something about not being sure or not knowing, but I really don't know if he was directly replying to my inquiry.

Twas pretty hectic in that chat session!!

:)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:The alchemical process changes the inherent properties of the metal. Its kind of like how the Glass Steel spell or Ironwood spells work, but rather than be for non metal or even organic materials, it changes the property of the metal itself to be much stronger. So you can take gold, silver, even lead, and turn it into a much stronger material usable for weapons of war.
Indeed.

"Magic" changes everything.

Heh, should have considered that in my reading and understanding of fantasy metals.

:P

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Its weird that Davis said he didn't know, since he is the one I talked to about this at Troll Con 2009.

Trolls! Go figure!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have been thinking on this a little, regarding the origin of the term itself... and have thus far found a few things which are probably unintended but cool regardless.

A close word for iergild is wergild, meaning "man payment." It is a Germanic law concept of providing compensation to an injured party, the amount often a reflection of the inflicted party's status and sometimes paid to both the party itself and to the residing rulers. Now, seen as a payment from the All-Father to his creations, this seems a little.... nice for a plot device.

Coupled to that, we have the ier suffix which, when appended, means "one who does this" like a glazier (one who glazes / works in glass), and gild which is pretty obviously gold, and potentially explaining why the gold variety is the more precious and powerful. However, having ier as a prefix pushes the meaning from "one who is / works" to "one who creates" which is subtle but important in distinction.

Hehe. Oh well. I need to leave this alone.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:I have been thinking on this a little, regarding the origin of the term itself... and have thus far found a few things which are probably unintended but cool regardless.

A close word for iergild is wergild, meaning "man payment." It is a Germanic law concept of providing compensation to an injured party, the amount often a reflection of the inflicted party's status and sometimes paid to both the party itself and to the residing rulers. Now, seen as a payment from the All-Father to his creations, this seems a little.... nice for a plot device.

Coupled to that, we have the ier suffix which, when appended, means "one who does this" like a glazier (one who glazes / works in glass), and gild which is pretty obviously gold, and potentially explaining why the gold variety is the more precious and powerful. However, having ier as a prefix pushes the meaning from "one who is / works" to "one who creates" which is subtle but important in distinction.

Hehe. Oh well. I need to leave this alone.
I'd say this is a nice essay! :)

And btw, what was your thinking regarding the original question - similar strength of the metals?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My preference would be to completely reverse them -- steel as strongest, silver second, and then gold. However, gold would be the most prized as it would be the more "ritzy" and beautiful. Perhaps make the steel variety have a dull or unadorned look, so as to make it less desirable for display (and only really used in weapons or armor) whereas the others are prominently used in virtually everything else.