Anybody else find it hard to get into Aihrde?

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Omote
Battle Stag

Anybody else find it hard to get into Aihrde?

Post by Omote »

Look, I like Aihrde from only a few points. The stuff that is presented in the Crusader, Umbrage Saga box set, Shades of Mist, and Heart of Glass make me want to LOVE Aihrde, but I do not. The depth and the flavor of the setting is great, but that flavor comes all too infrequently. Of the few Erde/Aihrde items released over the years, there is not enough for me to get the "whole picture."

The old Codex of Erde is cool in many ways, but it makes understanding the setting very difficult. The chaotic nature of that book is hard to sit down and read. I find that I can only read a few pages at a time, and I HAVE to skip around the material and put things together myself. The After Winter's Dark folio is cool too, but is like a very thin glaze over a plain doughnut. Hmmmmmm. It probably tastes very good but there is not enough of the sweet stuff to make the cakey stuff palitable. After Winter's Dark is too much light glaze, with parts that are too thick and dense and dry your mouth out.

When I hear the Trolls speak about Aihrde/Inzaa in person or in MB posts, I love the setting, I love the background, and you can tell they have a real love and knowledge for it. But, for me, that just doesn't come across too easily in the setting materials. Again, Crusader articles, Shades of Mist, Umbrage Saga, and Heart of Glass rule with tons of atmosphere and real definite FEEL to the setting. The setting specific materials have never felt that way to me, and that is what makes it tough for me to get into the setting.

About 1 year ago, TLG announced that it was going to put out these poster-sized maps for the setting. I thought to myself, "that's the way I can get into the setting." I could look at the maps, see the names of places and wonder to myself, what is there?

Perhaps this is all just my craziness. I think the map would help me personally get into the setting and I think many RPGers are map fanatics that feel close to the same way. But, there would need to be more. The Folio just doesn't cut to all of the goodness that I know lies hidden in the minds of Trolls.

What will, and what could, be the single product (other than the Aihrde world map) that could bring me into the fold? I don't think it has been released yet. I want to fall in love with the setting, but I need some help.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Re: Anybody else find it hard to get into Aihrde?

Post by Piperdog »

I am a huge fan of the setting, but I get bogged down at times like O is saying. But what is a setting supposed to have, and how much is too little, and how much is...well..too much. This all depends on the person, and I believe we had a thread that talked about this earlier. I think there is a lot left open so we can fill it in ourselves, but some folks don't like that so much.

The Codex is awesome in it's content, but the layout is hard to read. Font is too small for these ol eyes for one thing. And maps...well, as O pointed out...many of us are map fanatics. I am a card carrying member of Mapaholics Anonymous. I think a Map Pack, with poster maps galore would be kick ass. Maps really do lure me in and get me feeling like it is a real place that I can go out and explore. So...did I mention anything about more maps?

One of my ideas for the new Codex would be to have several adventure seeds expounded upon for each region/nation/geographical area. I think box sets depicting various sandbox areas would be cool, perhaps in the style of the Wilderlands hex crawl stuff (maps broken down into hexes with adventure seeds attached).

Some may feel it is a bland setting, but it's not really. In many ways, it does the impossible. For those of us who got back into classic roleplaying games, it does the job of giving you an open, classic world of high fantasy but does so without being "too vanilla", if you will, by adding the flavor of the Winter's Dark. A touch of dark fantasy with a head nod to Warhammer, a hint of german and celtic folk tradition, a dash of Gygaxian Greyhawk, and a smidge of the LOTR vibe...it all cooks up in the pot real nice for me until it becomes a rather tasty concoction of it's own.

Omote, you need to check out ebay, under Custom Vinyl Banners...you can get a map jpeg printed on vinyl at high resolution....dirt cheap. A 4x5' costs 35 to 40 dollars with free shipping. I am thinking of having this done with my Airhde maps and with my Wilderlands maps (I used photoshop to splice all those badboys together).

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Piperdog wrote:Omote, you need to check out ebay, under Custom Vinyl Banners...you can get a map jpeg printed on vinyl at high resolution....dirt cheap. A 4x5' costs 35 to 40 dollars with free shipping. I am thinking of having this done with my Airhde maps and with my Wilderlands maps (I used photoshop to splice all those badboys together).
That is a damn fine idea. I do like the vinyl maps that are out there now. Something to look into. Thank you. Piperdog.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I find that I have trouble "getting into" any setting primarily because I'll find a few things I like but not the whole thing, especially as it concerns history or deities. So, I typically just rip out the parts I find immediate use for and integrate them with other things. This is most evident with Greyhawk where I use almost nothing except some names.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

serleran wrote:This is most evident with Greyhawk where I use almost nothing except some names.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Maps definitely help me get interested in a setting, but what really wins me over is picking a spot on those maps and start using it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hehe . . yep, it's your craziness good sir.

The campaign world of Aihrde is really spectacular with so many types of kingdoms, countries and realms.

All easily detailed (or not) with everything you need to run games in it.

It's just like Greyhawk, IMO. Use it with full fluff and detail or pick and choose "what you will" for your campaign and players.

Aside:

[I do agree that the presentation of the book can be challenging . . it did take me a few months to get the "way" to navigate and research the gobs of info.]

[And yes . . to me, the modules so enhance the setting of Aihrde and contribute to the overall understanding and feel of this world. I've said before, that I used to read the mods and refer to the Codex . . and then read the Codex and go back to the mods for the final fantastic "get it" to this amazing campaign world]

Don't let the Codex of Erde throw you off base . . it must be read and re-read, that's true.

Heart of Glass . . dam fantastic mod that helps explain/contribute to the look and feel of that area of Erde/Aihrde. But then, most of the other mods do the same for their particular areas of this world.

In summary, I would say this ~ mods + Codex will get you vast knowledge/understanding and interest. Much like the Greyhawk box/folio when using the mods for additional feel and clarification].

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I always have a problem with "getting into" a published setting. It's fun reading, but I get bogged down trying to stay "canon" or second-guessing intents. For all the work, it is much easier for me to simply do my own stuff.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Go0gleplex wrote:I always have a problem with "getting into" a published setting. It's fun reading, but I get bogged down trying to stay "canon" or second-guessing intents. For all the work, it is much easier for me to simply do my own stuff.

There is never canon, unless I want it to be my canon. Whenever I use a setting I don't worry about what they did or intended, I use what I like and make up everything else. I don't buy anything to do it "their way", I do so to do it however I like.

I strongly advise everyone to do the same, to try to always adhere to "canon" or "intentions" only leads to madness, IMO.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote wrote:What will, and what could, be the single product (other than the Aihrde world map) that could bring me into the fold? I don't think it has been released yet. I want to fall in love with the setting, but I need some help.

~O
Btw, the single product(s) that enthralled me was The Rising Knight and/or Assault on Blacktooth Ridge. There was just enough excellence about Aihrde dropped into those mods, that I bought the Codex immediately after reading them. So . . have another read of TRN and mebbe Assault and see what you think!! :P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Well, I certainly do like the Umbrage Saga box set. There is a bunch of mood, and setting in the way the story is told in those modules, particularly in the Assualt on Blacktooth Ridge module(s). In that respect Rhu, I'm with ya. Not sure if those products make me love the setting or not, but they are really good.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I know this post is old, but have your feelings changed on this Omote? I love the modules and the book is, as you say; hard to read. I like the setting but do not love it. I am starting a new campaign and have not pulled the trigger on the setting yet. I want open for me to add and make up my own stuff, but I want a good backbone too. I get stuck in the "cannon" rut too. If the Wilderlands did not have so much confusion add to it, it would be the perfect setting. My players are looking for more "living" world and for the world to make sense. I struggle here.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I will help with your thread necromancy.

In light of recent information, maybe the best way to get into the setting will be the novels TLG are working on?

Aihrde is so big it contains just about every sort of place you want. Parts of it are really basically Greyhawk or Mystara with the serial numbers filed off. Other parts are entirely undocumented.

My main immersion is via the modules; you can ignore the "plot" parts and focus on places and characters and it's really its own gazetteer. Also, stuff like the Lay of the Lothian Princes published serially in the Crusader, gives a feel for the setting. The part I like, at least about the Blacktooth Ridge, is how heavily faerie it is; redcaps and fairy mounds and ogres and that whole superstitious feel.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I never ever look at a "whole" setting with an intention of using all of it. Aihrde, Greyhawk, Faerun, Wilderlands, Kalamar, etc... have tons of info to it. So when I started using any of them, I read over the setting, noting which areas stood out most to me, and then when I was all done I decided which location to just start with, and got started. Then as my needs to go to new areas grew, my knowledge of the setting grew. So with Aihrde I have ran 3 different games in 3 different areas now, so I now have those areas more fully detailed in my mind.

So while I won all the settings I mentioned, I have actually used very small amounts of those worlds, except Faerun and Greyhawk. I probably have used mre than half of each settings land areas to some extent.

Modules definitely help me "spread out" too. All the modules TLG has done have definitely helped me fill in a lot of blanks, either with the modules they wrote, or modules I decided to make use of because it fit, or other supplements I have decided to use, such as Bard's Gate. So slowly but surely new towns and cities have become defined, new towers have risen, cave systems have been discovered, villages have been created, passes have been discovered, etc...

So the setting only really come alive as we play in them. Its how I do it with every setting that I take an interest in using.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Never really thought about this until now. I guess I'm of two worlds.

When it is my own created world, it is more of a gunslinger style. I have a basic layout of the world, sometimes just a paragraph or two of certain parts. Concentrate on the campaign at hand and not really worry about the rest. As the campaign progresses it organically grows rather than having hardline cannon stuff. This is also my preferred way of running campaigns.

On the other hand, if it is a world that was created based on a particular rpg I want less, "Fill this stuff with whatever you want." and more descriptions of the world. Not, just places but countries, economics, population stats etc. I don't need to read the whole thing in one sitting, but pick a starting place for the campaign, read up on that enough that I have a good idea of what this part of the world is like, but still know that when the campaign progresses beyond the initial boundaries I'm confident that the information will be there... wash... rinse... repeat.

I was really never all that thrilled with modules in the past. Now a days, if the modules are set in a particular part of the world and is consistent with that world, it is a good way to at least start understanding the world without going into an overload of information.

Airdhe has really captured my imagination. I like it almost as much as Greyhawk. I just hope that the Codex will fulfill much of what Airdhe is, with some hardline cannon stuff. Places, history, gods etc.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Aihrde is a setting that I really wanted to like but never could. I have detailed this before and won't get back into specifics (Look around this particular forum to find my thoughts). As it stands I use it to borrow from, like using the New Aenoch map for the Shield Lands, but cannot get into enough to run.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

As a German immigrant, I really like the German "feel" of Aihrde.

My favorite setting, however, has recently become Midgard by Wolfgang Baur from Kobold Press. It's an incredible setting and I'm chomping at the bit to run a Pathfinder or even AGE game in it.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member