Haunted Highlands question

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
JediOre
Ulthal

Haunted Highlands question

Post by JediOre »

Hello Folks,

I've got two friends at work who I CK for about once a week or so during our lunch break. They are currently attempting to finish the first part of Necromancer Games "The Coils of Set." If their characters survive this adventure, they want to tackle the DB series & we all chipped in to purchase all the current DB modules in the Christmas sale.

Here's my question:

Each player has one PC, a class-and-a-half rogue/wizard and a class-and-a-half ranger/cleric. They will probably be, by the end of the current module, at levels 3 & 2 respectively. At what level would those two PCs be advised to adventure into the DB modules? I'm guessing levels 4 & 3 would be a good start for just two PCs, but I would love to hear some advice from those on the boards with experience with these modules.

Thanks.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Bowbe
Red Cap

Re: Haunted Highlands question

Post by Bowbe »

Wow, see what happens when HH doesn't have its own thread? LOL

You probably already know the answer to this one but here goes? All the HH stuff have a "suggested level" to them but in truth there are some encounters and locations that are super hard and some that are a bit easier. Most things are designed for repeated forays into the various areas and lairs and tackling them at your leisure. If your game club is anything like mine and attendance is spotty at best HH is the perfect fit!

You should be able to find lots of enjoyment for your guys at the levels suggested and on up to higher levels with no trouble at all. There is an over-arching plot theme to the HH setting but your party's level of involvement is entirely up to them (or you)!

C.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Bowbe wrote:Wow, see what happens when HH doesn't have its own thread?
Not to worry, Casey. I'm going to update the "everything HH" thread and bump it back to the top again! :lol:

EDIT: Just realized that I need to re-create all of my links. All of the threads got renumbered in the move. Argh. :|
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

JediOre wrote:they want to tackle the DB series & we all chipped in to purchase all the current DB modules in the Christmas sale.
Hey, JediOre, I just thought I'd mention that you're going to find this an excellent way to have spent your money. I've only run the first couple DB modules but I own 'em all and think they are among my favorites ever. An awesome setting and you are going to enjoy them!
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Thanks for the replies. I think I will put a couple of short adventures between the end of Chapter 1 of Coils of Set and the HH series. I've read the first module completely and Bowbe, you are correct: Some of those encounters are very tough. Reminds me of some of Gygax's modules.

Finarvyn, I think we did a fine job on the money!
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

In my Greyhawk campaign, the Haunted Highlands lays to the north in the Shield Lands. I placed Dro Mandras and the Mandras River just west of the ruins of Axeport. The on going war with the Orc King is referred to as the "War in the North". The advertures (players) have the choice of adventuring in the ruins of Castle Greyhawk, or travelling accross the Nyr Dyv to partake in the great crusade.

I have been using the HH modules for a couple of years now and they are working out great, even with various levels running through them.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/