Classic Monsters: The Manual

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Peter
Red Cap

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Peter »

Hmmm, I can't find anything describing them as giants or having mystical powers other than being immune to diseases. Got any reference links?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

gideon_thorne wrote:Or I can make a giant sized (larger than human) humanoid, which are sometimes ascribed mystical powers, and call it a Firbolg, since that's what they are described as in mythology, and no one can say a thing about it. :)
Need Firbolg. Good call.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Aergraith wrote:...will there be something like it but called a Souvlaki or something?
gyatdamn those monsters be delicious!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Omote wrote: Am I the only one who doesn't like to do even "easy" conversions? I hate doing conversions period, particularly the difficult ones. But even when it comes to easy old-school D&D conversions to C&C, I hate doing it. I'm proficient in doing so, and have done so for years now... still hate it. I'd much rather have official C&C monsters for this. That is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this product so much.

~O
No way are you the only one. I'm not interested in adding conversions no matter how easy, to the work of being a CK. I'm very happy about this book coming out!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
gideon_thorne wrote:Or I can make a giant sized (larger than human) humanoid, which are sometimes ascribed mystical powers, and call it a Firbolg, since that's what they are described as in mythology, and no one can say a thing about it. :)
Need Firbolg. Good call.

~O
The origin of the Fir Bolg name is the subject of some dispute. Older commentators consider them the "men of (the god/dess) Bolg" or "men of bags" (compare Irish bolg meaning 'belly', 'bag'). Alternatively, the name may be derived from that of the Belgae of Britain and Gaul, whose name meant "The People Who Swell with Anger/Battle Fury"[3].

That last bit could be quite nifty as a berserk like power that causes the Firbolg to swell to large proportions...

There are quite a few legends about the Firbolg and their rivalry with the Tuatha Dé Danann.

Course, the main point being, undoubtedly the writers of D&D got their inspiration the same places I did, and therefore can't close off this mythological character, or any other, to re interpretation. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

My Firbolgs are tall, green humanoids with three hands that drink way too much Pepsi and listen to Barbara Streisand records. They have an unnatural love for processed meat products and Wal Mart.

I don't WotC will come after me.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Intellect Devourers. Nuff said. 8-)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

Well, the Troll Lord has pre-order for this up at kickstarter and I have to admit, it's a real deal.

For $50 you get the PHB, M&T, the New Classic Monster Manual (all in HC and personalized to you!), plus PDF copies of all three books (to print out and take to games while leaving those oh so collectible HCs safe at home), a T-shirt, an adventure module, your name listed in the acknowledgments in the new book, 10 TLG coins (+ pouch).... and Steve will drink a Dr. Pepper to your health.

Being the PHB and M&T HCs are $45 together, it's almost like getting the new book in HC plus all the other goodies for free (but it was really the toast to my health by Steve that got me...) :mrgreen:

Okay, Troll Lord, you talked me into it - I'm a backer for $50. With likely delivery in late Dec/Early Jan, you made my wife's Hanukkah shopping a breeze :lol:
Visit my

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Well, I'm hopeful to maybe get in at the 25.00 level. Gotta decide soon.

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

when do we get this in the mail?

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

nightstorm wrote:when do we get this in the mail?
You want it in the mail? I'm not nearly as reasonable as you. I want Steve to hand deliver it to my door, and vacuum the living room while he's here. And he'll have to settle for Caffeine-free Diet Mt Dew instead of that nasty Dr Pepper stuff! :evil:
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:
nightstorm wrote:when do we get this in the mail?
You want it in the mail? I'm not nearly as reasonable as you. I want Steve to hand deliver it to my door, and vacuum the living room while he's here. And he'll have to settle for Caffeine-free Diet Mt Dew instead of that nasty Dr Pepper stuff! :evil:

What! I didn't see that option on Kickstart, damn I would have signed up for that!

-Mike

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Man, you should've! It was only a dollar more, but you had to include a boxtop from a Dr Pepper can -- and that was mighty difficult!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I gave up after I cut myself pretty badly.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I'm wondering if one of my favorite critters, the penanggalan, will be in the Manual. Can anyone say for certain?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If you wish hard enough; if you have enough faith, sometimes you get what you ask for.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Ancalagon wrote:I'm wondering if one of my favorite critters, the penanggalan, will be in the Manual. Can anyone say for certain?

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Omote wrote:If you wish hard enough; if you have enough faith, sometimes you get what you ask for.

~O
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Awwwww....broken link for graphic...
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

AGNKim wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:I'm wondering if one of my favorite critters, the penanggalan, will be in the Manual. Can anyone say for certain?
Awww yeah.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

dumoktheartist
Henchman

Post by dumoktheartist »

AGNKim wrote:
Omote wrote:NORKERS! You've been advised.

~O
Norkers: See Goblin, Hob. Add 1d3 bite damage. Fights with club. Cut and paste everything else. :lol:
Actually Norkers also have an Obscenely High Armor Class which gave my players no end of trouble, Plus they attack twice per round. After A While, the second I mention Norkers My players groan in despair.

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

Any idea on when the pre-orders are going to ship? Last update I got was they were to go out in January but I have not received anything on this end. I don't mean to be a pain but I would appreciate an update from the Trolls.
Visit my

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

This is from the Troll's Tusk newsletter that went out yesterday:

"Classic Monsters is completed and at the printer. It should be out in the next few weeks, assuming there is nothing wrong with the text or what have you. The bundles will ship as we get them in and then the whole deal will go off to distribution for those of you waiting to get it in the store."

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

kreider204 wrote:This is from the Troll's Tusk newsletter that went out yesterday:

"Classic Monsters is completed and at the printer. It should be out in the next few weeks, assuming there is nothing wrong with the text or what have you. The bundles will ship as we get them in and then the whole deal will go off to distribution for those of you waiting to get it in the store."
Sounds as if it all will go thru five or more sets of hands before it reaches us. So I figure I'll be patient until November 2014.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

So much for the end of FEb huh?

I am guessing late March at the earliest.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:
kreider204 wrote:This is from the Troll's Tusk newsletter that went out yesterday:

Sounds as if it all will go thru five or more sets of hands before it reaches us. So I figure I'll be patient until November 2014.
+1

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

From the thread in the Anvil forum, Steve stated that he expected to have the digital versions out this week. Sounds like Amazon's proprietary formatting is a big factor - they have to release on all digital platforms at once (by contract) so until all the kinks are worked out, they can't release on any.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Andred of Albans wrote:Any idea on when the pre-orders are going to ship? Last update I got was they were to go out in January but I have not received anything on this end. I don't mean to be a pain but I would appreciate an update from the Trolls.
The Trolls have posted updates and have sent email updates. Perhaps you are not on the list.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:

Haha, that's funny.

Oh wait, no it isn't. :roll:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

I bought the PDF yesterday and started just to skim through checking out how they did the old monsters, so far not impressed with a couple of things. First it appears that they have really weakened some of the creatures, now I admit that I have not read the entire book but when I saw the Behir without the lightning breath, the greater basilisk without a poison breath or claws and the Aurumvorax which now deals less damage than the 2nd ed version. On a positive note the artwork is very good and I am glad I got it; also I thought gaze attacks were wisdom save not constitution (look under greater basilisk).

Rant over

IMP