GenCon 2011

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

GenCon 2011

Post by Snoring Rock »

What a mind-blowing experience! This was the best GenCon for me so far. I was priveledged to meet Peter Bradley; the most patient artist ever! He signed like 10 books for me and then steered over to Larry Elmore (TSR fame -- Dragon Lance), who is a great guy to talk to! Two of the greats in gaming! Peter has writers cramp so he will be taking a few days off. Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me and take in all that GenCon is for us old-school gamers!

So Friday night we had an excellent C&C adventure, assisted by Omote himself. We defeated the mighty Orcus...but we all died in the deed. We did save the world so that counts for something.

Last, I would like to thank the entire crew at the Troll Lords booth! Stephen has an excellent bunch of helpers that are friendly and happy to answer questions. You could use a lady in scant chainmail however. I want to mention Jason most of all. Dude; you rock!

What a great Con, I will be planning for next year. I will keep in touch. In case you want to get some grid games organized, I am more than willing to volunteer my service as a CK.

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: GenCon 2011

Post by Omote »

Snoring Rock! It was great to roll dice with you again. Sorry I couldn't make your skull mountain game, as I had a Palladium Fantasy game that night. That was one crazy, and fun adventure. The CK (CommanderFuron) is off the chain, and knows how to do EPIC 24th level adventures, that much is for sure.

The TLG crew as usual was awesome, thanks dudes.

Looking forward to next year already!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

commanderFuron
Ungern

Post by commanderFuron »

It was a great game. Thanks for playing Snoring Rock. I am definetly going to put together another 24th level adventure for next year. Now that we have at least one good place for open gaming that should make putting the game together easier.
-cF

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Snoring Rock: being the Jason in question, I thank you for your kind words! It was great meeting you and I must say that I'm jealous of you guys that got to game so much more than I did. I always promise myself that Im going to get in more gaming, and I always fail a little bit :)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

It was a great Gen Con. The Trolls were super-nice, and I think most everyone in our gaming group picked up at least one C&C product. I've been trying to find time to read the new CKG I bought since the convention ended; I haven't been able to get that far, but that sucker is an idea mill for the Castle Keeper.
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Glad to hear you had a good time, SnoringRock. I hung out with the TLG crowd on Wednesday night, but never got back around for any games (Thursday night was The One Ring, Friday I was in the Auction Hall, and Saturday night I finally crashed) but I got to the TLG booth plenty of times to harass the fellas there. A fun time had, all said. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

It was great to meet new peeps and catch up with old ones. Gencon is always good times. I can't wait for next year.

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Thanks for the reports on GC guys, made me wish I was there having fun you the rest of the happy crew! The last time I went was in another space-time continuum (1996)...

I may have missed it elsewhere in the board, as I have quite of bit of catching up to do, but was there a new screen at the TLG booth? How is it? Any other news bits on the troll front?

Thanks!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

The new thick stock 4 panel screens were present, but Ill leave it to others to tell you how well they like them.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Breakdaddy wrote:The new thick stock 4 panel screens were present, but Ill leave it to others to tell you how well they like them.
Well I only need two questions answered.

1) Are they separated into two panels each or, is it all in one?

2) Are the screens updated or, is it the same as the old screens?
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote:The new thick stock 4 panel screens were present, but Ill leave it to others to tell you how well they like them.
Well I only need two questions answered.

1) Are they separated into two panels each or, is it all in one?

2) Are the screens updated or, is it the same as the old screens?
1) 2x2
2) Someone else will need to answer this one. I don't have my own copy of the screen yet! I was going to grab a copy at Gen Con but we sold clean out of them.
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sir Ironside wrote:2) Are the screens updated or, is it the same as the old screens?
Same screens from the past couple of years, except there are two, 2-hard boarded screens.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Had a great time and it was fun meeting you guys. For the most part, I didn't associate avatar names to real-life names for most of you, so I don't know who I really met. ;) GenCon is always a blur. Like Jason said, I always leave wishing I had played more. We did get in a game with Piperdog which was amazing.

Thanks to everyone that stopped by and I hope to see you again real soon. Except Omote. That dude is just crazy. :mrgreen:

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

The screen looked good, far as I could tell, Ironside. I thought Steve said it was new art. Strong, thick board. Main reason I didn't get one was he said there'd be a landscape board coming out soon, which is what I want. :)

Maybe next time I go I can get in some off-the-grid gaming in with Kim, Jason, Derrick and the others! Glad to hear you got some C&C goodness in! I saw you all plenty, but after (con) hours I wasn't able to hook up.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

I was glad to see all the old crowd, including giving a shout out to the tag team of Omote and Piperdog at Scotty's on Wednesday. And it was a blast hanging out with members of the TLG crew there both Wednesday and Friday. Friday night was a lot of fun, hanging out in the outdoor venue and partaking of drinks, too.

I had a great time gaming and attending some of the seminars (if you can hit the Writers Symposium ones, those are fun to get into), and blowing well over my self-imposed budget limit on anything bright and shiny that caught my eye. And speaking of, the Trolls pretty much own my arse now-- I think I hit their marketplace booth three times and each time bought a small armada of new stuff.

My only regret? That although I got to play in a 2E game (it's been a solid 15 years since I last did that!), I never got to play a game in my current favorite RPG system. My ticketed C&C game was cancelled, and Scotty's just wasn't a particularly good venue to play unless you had the back room set aside-- it was pretty congested, and had way too many things to draw away the attention (like, for instance, waitresses dressed in ridiculous hawt costumes.... I mean, movies. And stuff. Yes. :mrgreen: )

That just steels me for next year, though. Next year, I'll be running at least one game at an actual event table at Gen Con. Depending on the price, maybe even two. :twisted:

But even with that disappointment, it was a great con, like always. Gen Con is my Christmas... it's the most wonderful time of the year.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Lord Dynel wrote:The screen looked good, far as I could tell, Ironside. I thought Steve said it was new art. Strong, thick board. Main reason I didn't get one was he said there'd be a landscape board coming out soon, which is what I want. :)

Maybe next time I go I can get in some off-the-grid gaming in with Kim, Jason, Derrick and the others! Glad to hear you got some C&C goodness in! I saw you all plenty, but after (con) hours I wasn't able to hook up.
You can game with our group any time, Gus. Next time just let us know and you're in, chieftain!
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Hey ArgoForg, agree completely with the Scotty's assessment, chief. Steve will need to make alternate off grid gaming plans next year so that those of us who want to drop in a game or ten can make it so without fighting the noise and congestion of the Brewhouse. I don't know if ANY of the planned games there happened, and that makes me a sad panda.
-Genghis Khan

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Lord Dynel wrote:Glad to hear you had a good time, SnoringRock. I hung out with the TLG crowd on Wednesday night, but never got back around for any games (Thursday night was The One Ring, Friday I was in the Auction Hall, and Saturday night I finally crashed) but I got to the TLG booth plenty of times to harass the fellas there. A fun time had, all said. :)
Thanks, boss...I will hold you to that! I'm definitely going to hold you that particular CD you're supposed to burn for me. :D

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:Glad to hear you had a good time, SnoringRock. I hung out with the TLG crowd on Wednesday night, but never got back around for any games (Thursday night was The One Ring, Friday I was in the Auction Hall, and Saturday night I finally crashed) but I got to the TLG booth plenty of times to harass the fellas there. A fun time had, all said. :)
Thanks, boss...I will hold you to that! I'm definitely going to hold you that particular CD you're supposed to burn for me. :D
I suspect you're not trying to talk to yourself here, LD :lol:

Who were you trying to quote in that post? Me? or someone else?
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

First GenCon 2012 headlock goes to Hartsfield. COUNT ON IT!
VAE VICTUS!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:First GenCon 2012 headlock goes to Hartsfield. COUNT ON IT!
Dude, you ought to be scared of doing that. Hartsfield can drop one HELL of an evil eye on you if you're not careful :o
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Oh, and BTW, I'm not sure if this will remain, but the best open gaming area award this years goes to my new favorite Indy hotel, the Omni Severin. The open gaming area in that hotel was well stocked, and pretty quiet on Wed-Fri nights. Saturday was about half filled, and a bit loud, but no different than other GenCon gaming venues. Next year I will try to get a room at the Omni with a balcony so we can game out under the stars... and have a BBQ. ;)

Scotty's was cool, but too hot and too loud for gaming IMO.

I got to get into a game with Argo again, and for the first time with Lord-to-da-D.

A hearty appology to McBain who I said I would run a game for (and his brother). Just didn't happen man. M'bad. Next year, bro.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Dude, you ought to be scared of doing that. Hartsfield can drop one HELL of an evil eye on you if you're not careful :o
I (and Sauron) invented the evil eye, son. No worries.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote:
I (and Sauron) invented the evil eye, son. No worries.

~O
:mrgreen:
-Genghis Khan

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

Omote wrote:Oh, and BTW, I'm not sure if this will remain, but the best open gaming area award this years goes to my new favorite Indy hotel, the Omni Severin. The open gaming area in that hotel was well stocked, and pretty quiet on Wed-Fri nights. Saturday was about half filled, and a bit loud, but no different than other GenCon gaming venues. Next year I will try to get a room at the Omni with a balcony so we can game out under the stars... and have a BBQ. ;)

Scotty's was cool, but too hot and too loud for gaming IMO.

I got to get into a game with Argo again, and for the first time with Lord-to-da-D.

A hearty appology to McBain who I said I would run a game for (and his brother). Just didn't happen man. M'bad. Next year, bro.

~O
It's all good chief! I was able to get him into a game with Piper Friday night and he had a really good experience. But yes, next year hopefully!

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Glad your brother liked it, Hudson. Personally, I had a blast....I just wish I hadn't been the Walking Dead or I would have went out afterwards. Next con means extra expresso to power through the night.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

He had a blast. So did I. And yes, next year, it's 5 hour energy drinks and coffee to plow through the early morning hours. It's Gen Con baby! You can sleep when you're dead!