The World of the Wilderlands

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
jamesmishler
Ulthal

The World of the Wilderlands

Post by jamesmishler »

I posted this on the Necromancer boards, in response to the question of "What is beyond the region of the Wilderlands?"

One of the things that Bob and I are working on is a complete map of the continent upon which are found the Wilderlands. The entire continent consists of 15 maps the size of the Wilderlands... that's 270 maps the size of a single campaign map!

To the north of the Wilderlands is the Great Glacier, and further lands of the Avalonians.

To the east is Karak... Karak actually extends to two maps the size of the entire Wilderlands! Yes, 36 campaign maps worth of Karak. Of course, not all of it is actually the Kingdom of Karak, but much of it is. It truly is a vast state.

To the west are the Giant Lands, extending, like Karak to the east, two maps to the west. Much of the map immediately to the west of the Wilderlands is a continuation of the Endless Desert, while the great Giant Kingdoms are further to the west.

To the south and southwest are the great Demon Empires, which altogether take up three of the large maps.

Northwest, northeast, and southeast are lands even more mysterious, and virtually unknown to the peoples of the Wilderlands.

The plan will be to release each section the size of the Wilderlands as its own product. Not sure yet about the level of detail; I'm favoring each product be two maps at 15-mile hexes (i.e., each map nine standard campaign maps), with as much detail as we can squeeze in, perhaps a 128-page book. Making and printing 18 maps for each is just not in the realm of possibility, financially.

When? Probably the first one in 2008, maybe sooner if we're lucky. Possibly Karak, with four maps (two back-to-back) and a 256-page book. Got a lot of other stuff to get out the doors, first...

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Whooo, sweet. I've actually started a Wilderlands campaign, just recently "off map."

Question, to the west are the Giant Lands, as you say are about two maps big. Does the Giant Lands just end in an ocean, or is there more even farther to the west? Any hints that you could provide Mr Mishler? They would be appreciated.
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

The Giant Lands do end at the Western Ocean, which is part of the World Ocean. There are, however, several island chains within the macro-region of the westernmost Giant Lands territory; beyond that, in the depths of the World Ocean, Bob sayeth not.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice. Many thanks, Sir. I look forward to 2008 and beyond... to finally have the material that tells us what is beyind certain parts. Awesome!

I've wanted detail of what is north of Valon for sooo long now...

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'm most interested in The Demon Empires.

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: The World of the Wilderlands

Post by Omote »

jamesmishler wrote:
Northwest, northeast, and southeast are lands even more mysterious, and virtually unknown to the peoples of the Wilderlands.

Mysterious lands ~ are these lands mysterious because even Bobby B. himself doesn't know what is there, or because AGP is keeping them secret for future releases? WE MUST KNOW THE SECRETS!!!

Given the history of the Wilderlands, what could be in these vast, mysterious regions? There could be large tracks of lands that are unexplored even by the inhabitants of the world. Thus making the area a true adventure in exploration (I think one of the best elements of the WL is the sense that there is much to "explore." It is this element that I have introduced into my games where players actually keep hex-maps of the lands they travel in).

Could there be more strange populations of people then red-skinned barbarians, or emerald green skinned... socialites (couldn't think of a way to describe them. ). Could they be somthing as unique as psionic, avians who live among the ruins of floating castles of older cultrues? Or could these be lands of mystery be a place where every snake can talk? For the lowliest gardner snake to the mighyist of ancienty Wyrm? Gnomes, a place where gnomes are a tyrannic people that slave humaity? What are these mysterious places?

The Demon Empires ~ we have long heard of tales of their vile ways, but is this just stories told in the Wilderlands? Are these places actually run by men with no more taint of evil then those of the City State?

The Giant Lands ~ can giants have a society that actually can be called an empire (or and men call empires)? Or are roving bands of giants living life in mud-brick hovels and caves more the norm for these peoples.

THESE SECRETS WE MUST KNOW!

...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Snaebjorn

Post by Snaebjorn »

Chello!

Must say that I'm stoked for this one!

Tony

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm most iinterested in the Demon Lands as well.

So we might start seeing this stuff still in 2008? Or is 2009 looking more likely? 2010?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.