Adventurer's Backpack for C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Omote
Battle Stag

Adventurer's Backpack for C&C

Post by Omote »

From the TLG Troll's Tusk:

The [Adventurer's] Backpack is geared with the player in mind. I've divided it up into 3 basic parts. Part 1 focuses on the classes and races with examples and guidelines given on how to mold one of the archetypes into a working class. Part 2 shifts gear into equipment. This section will not be your normal equipment section where 'extra' equipment is listed. Rather it focuses on equipment designed by engineers and craftsmen that would be germ to a world where magic is real. Part 3 focuses on more, and altogether original spells. In playing a cleric some months ago I noticed how utterly typical the CC PH spells are, at least to any long term veteran players, so Mac and I began brain-storming spells.

We are looking at a hardback book, 130 odd pages, priced around $19.99.

Section 1: Need more info to fully understand what this is about.

Not exactly sure what section 2 means to do, we'll see.

Section 3 looks to have a lot of goodness to it. I have been slow to adopt any other D&D spells to my C&C games. This section will hopefully quell that thirst for more spells.

What are your thoughts on the AB?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

kreider204
Unkbartig

Re: Adventurer's Backpack for C&C

Post by kreider204 »

Like you, I'm a bit unclear about what some of this actually means.

It seems to me more a collection of articles than anything else. I think I'd rather see the individual articles come out in the Crusader. I don't see myself buying this as a hardcover book.

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Part 1 - I'm guessing he's going to take some archtypical fantasy types - a witch, a swashbuckler, or a treasure-hunter for example - and how to "build" it using the race/class system of C&C. Or at least that's how it sounds.

Part 2 - equipment designed by engineers and craftsman from a world where magic is real? Sounds like something along the lines of fireball-powered dirigibles or less-fantastic (and possible mundane in function) gear that are magically-powered.

As an aside, I think think might be neat. I had a conversation with my friend, and clerk at the FLGS, a while back about that very subject. We both mused why things weren't done more in fantasy worlds with the use of magic. Neither one of use subscribe to the "magic is too precious a commody" notion, either.

Part 3 is always a welcome addition...as long as we got no more illusionst healing spells ;) Seriously, many spells for clerics (and for wizards and druids, too) are indeed pretty typical. It repesents years of the best spells being reprinted again and again in various systems' player's handbooks. But, again, new spells are always nice.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

This has the sounds of all sorts of goodness. Be very interesting to see what more comes out on this.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Having systems and methods for all of this on my own, I would be interested in the "official take" though primarily on the spell section to be honest as I can make whatever class I want and do not need "mundane magic."

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

1. Depending how its done, the magical equipment could be quite cool for adding flavour to fantastic cities beneath the earth, treasures of lost atlantis- that kind of thing. If it is just a bunch of cheesy "magical" takes of modern technology I will be dissapointed.

2. Not sure about this, have to see what the hell it is first.

3. If we get more spells, I hope they are weird & unique. If it is a release of more spells from other editions & supps that have already been around for years then ho hum, just creating exactly the kind of un-needed bloat/splat I went to C&C to avoid.

90% of the spells in the Black Libram are just more ways to cause damage, which IMO I don't give a hell about, it is kind of the most boring, standard way to see magic used. I hope we don't see that again.

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

1. Does this mean that we'd get to see something for wild elves and/or Spell casting bards or the way we could create our own?

2. Hmm...

3. New Spells...that sounds pretty cool.

Pilgrim
Mist Elf

Post by Pilgrim »

So, just from what I gather of the original post, this is something like an expansion/add-on for the game, for players?
"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ JRR Tolkien

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

I'm hoping that this means that an "official" class construction / desconstruction rules are on the way. I'm a big fan of the CKG but was disappointed that they didn't appear there.

some niceities to consider for my AB wishlist: spell construction rules, AD&D 2e had these in both the Skills and Powers book and Dragon. Equipment construction- pc games like Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age put a nice , magical twist on equipment based of the material it is constructed on. i.e. Dragon Scale armor that is better than steel and has some alternative properties, but is not "magical".

Alternatives to the Vancian magic system: psionics, Spell Law from MERP, the True 20 magic. For me, I'd like to try a magic system that is more varied and and adaptable to the situation: i.e. "flame control" power that allows a wizard to light and candle, cast a fireball, or construct a flaming sword rolled against a Challenge Level. I've been diidling with adapting stuff like that from Rigon's Book of the Mind, WOT rpg, and True 20. , but if the Trolls want to do all that legwork for me, I'm cool with that too :)

Some combat fiddlely diddleys like weapon mastery and secret sword passes and schools. Again, while Omote did some nice stuff, it would be cool to see "official" add ons like this.

Just my 2 coppers
Morty
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

This isn't a must-have for me, though like all things Troll I'll probably end up buying the PDF. I am a bit turned off by player-targeted resources. Anything a player might buy that I as CK don't, needs to be very well reviewed and playtested or I am not likely to allow it in my game. This is where 3.5 went off the rails for me; when I couldn't possibly have time to review all of the player material.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'm looking forward to this, but I hope they don't add too much. I know, I probably sound like a heretic, but Aergraith hit on a spot.

3.5 came out with a flurry of stuff, so much that I never got enough time to delve into it, fully. A lot of stuff that changed up the system or added major variants - stuff from Book of Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, and many, many, more - a lot of stuff kind of passed me by.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope that there's not a whole lot of new ways to do things. I'd prefer additions to the system instead of new systems or ways to accomplish something. That's one of the major reasons I like the game - simple, yet elegant without too much fuss. If there's something I need to accomplish I can do it on the fly and be done with it...without having to slog through rules to do it. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Not entirely sure what Steve has in mind for this myself, but the best I can figure is that its a kind of CKG for the player. But, since Steve is writing it, its more than likely going to be long on philosophy, and short on mechanics. Me and Steve think alike on a number of things when it comes to adding rules, and there are any number of ways to add/alter class abilities without adding a single mechanic or rule to the game. Which I expect is largely what Steve has in mind. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey folks,

A few quick answers...

The Advents Backpack is conceived as a book that can help characters develop their end of the story. I've often said that the campaign world I run games in (Aihrde) is the creation of everyone whoever sat in one of my games as they have developed the story in ways I could not have conceived. Too often the CK dominates the table (as is natural), so some meat for the character's tale is a good thing.

Spells: These are not going to be blast do damage spells..though I'm sure some will. These spells are aimed at enhancing the practical use of magic in a world where magic exists. Enhancing the spell caster's abilities. They will all be new, nothing taken from other sources.

Equipment: The sword gave birth to the shield; so what would magic give birth to? In a world where magic dominates the playing field as we know it would be very different. Why build a castle when a wizard can transmute rock to mud in a few seconds and ruin 6 months of work? You would if the base of the castle walls were imbued with Dwarf's Breath to guard them against such an attack. Further, what wondrous items might one fashion from the a magic world: Marsand's Eye: Taken from the eye of a dragon, the lens may be used as a magnifying glass which has absolutely no distortion or darkening. Two lenses may be combined to create a telescope of very powerful magnification. And so on....

Characters: This section will expand each of the archtypes with plenty of examples on how to take your standard class and alter it into something more specialized. For veterans this section might not be as useful, but with a little luck it will include bits and pieces that everyone can use.

Hope that helps give a little more direction.

In short, there will be plenty of crunch and plenty of philosophy! ;)

Steve

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Thanks Steve, now it is a bit clearer. I must say it sounds promising- especially since I just switched to a higher magic/higher fantasy type campaign.

I think it is the Character section I am most intrigued about.

Lord Crimson
Ungern

Post by Lord Crimson »

Troll Lord wrote: Spells: These are not going to be blast do damage spells..though I'm sure some will. These spells are aimed at enhancing the practical use of magic in a world where magic exists. Enhancing the spell caster's abilities. They will all be new, nothing taken from other sources.
I think this sounds pretty interesting. My only request/advice would be to avoid spells that give the spellcasters too many abilities from other classes.

It's one of the most common objections to the results of 3.x spell-bloat (and even some core spells) that resulted in "caster dominance".

I'm sure you've probably already considered this, of course. But just in case. :)
-- Lord Crimson, Champion of Darkness

--> StarSIEGE fan? Come to the SS:EH Wiki for trappings, ideas, and more!

** As always, my suggestions/statements/ideas come with the caveats of YMMV and IMO. :D

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Lord Crimson wrote:
Troll Lord wrote: Spells: These are not going to be blast do damage spells..though I'm sure some will. These spells are aimed at enhancing the practical use of magic in a world where magic exists. Enhancing the spell caster's abilities. They will all be new, nothing taken from other sources.
I think this sounds pretty interesting. My only request/advice would be to avoid spells that give the spellcasters too many abilities from other classes.

It's one of the most common objections to the results of 3.x spell-bloat (and even some core spells) that resulted in "caster dominance".

I'm sure you've probably already considered this, of course. But just in case. :)
We are going to be careful in that regard. One of the corner stones of the game is that character abilities are not easy to replicate.

As a for instance I finished a spell yesterday that allows a caster to adsorb sunlight, capture it in a vessel and keep it for future use. It will more along those lines, magical affects....

Steve

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

As a for instance I finished a spell yesterday that allows a caster to adsorb sunlight, capture it in a vessel and keep it for future use. It will more along those lines, magical affects....
Now that caught my attention!

That is more in line with my view of a good use of magic than a lot of magic stuff I've read over the years.

Now I just need the job thing to work out so I'll have the extra money to by this when it comes out. (lucky with the trolls, I'll have plenty of time! :lol: )
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lurker wrote:

Now that caught my attention!
Indeed. Spells like this are more important to the game then another spell that does 1d6 damage per level. Sure, A few new ones along those lines are fine, but REAL spells and spellcraft.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<