Plagerism, and why you will get caught and pwned!

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
gideon_thorne
Maukling

Plagerism, and why you will get caught and pwned!

Post by gideon_thorne »

Follow the links. I believe I don't have to add anything further.
http://www.runecrypt.com/forum/lofivers ... 27892.html
Not the first time my art has been pilfered either.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

As if you're not used to this by now. People are funny. The internet is too big... no one will ever know. Heheh.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

That's awful!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Nifelhein

Post by Nifelhein »

Good lord... sorry to see people actually do this kind of stuff, not that he could not say original by peter Bradley, color by myself, but then, he would not be stealing someone's hard work for some wows.

Peter, I hope your work hasn't actually been pilfered in a professional circle. Ever.
"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects." - Attributed to Herman Melville.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

So far, its only been by a couple of amatures. As far as I know anyhow. The first instance, someone emailed me about it. This latest one, I actually stumbled across it quite by accident.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Nifelhein

Post by Nifelhein »

Well, hope things keep up to that damage then, since they really can't stand up to proof of their own work, at leats this means they enjoy what you do, I mean, even shit like this has a bright side to it.
"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects." - Attributed to Herman Melville.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Some people have no shame.

On the flip side, if everyone did it, you'd only have yourself to compete with?
Brian Miller

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think the kid is wonderfully talented. It's a shame all of you can't give the poor kid is props. Think of all the hard work and hours of pain-staking detail that he put into it. Then to spend hours coloring it in. My god, have you people no shame.
LOL

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Fine. I think the young folk will have a fine future with the Mob in international art forgery.
How's dat for a prop?

Peter Bradley

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yes, it takes hours to do a color select, and then, a color replace. I mean, it took me like a minute to figure out how to do it in the first place, so I imagine this person needed like.... a year or more, and some tutorial probably. Means he can follow pictures or read. That's a credit to dementia!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Fine. I think the young folk will have a fine future with the Mob in international art forgery.
How's dat for a prop?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Well, if anything, there's one lesson learned here...Anyone can claim to be Peter but none can walk in his shoes.

Brian Miller

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wow, that is crazy... what possesses a person To claim work as their own, especially a growing iconic piece of artwork?
.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Glad to see the thief got "uncovered". Hope his brother did a smack down on him.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

ZeornWarlock

Post by ZeornWarlock »

Hey Peter; simply take all of this as a compliment.
ZW.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

ZeornWarlock wrote:
Hey Peter; simply take all of this as a compliment.
ZW.

*chuckles* I just find it vastly amusing myself. It's not the first time its happened.

Peter Bradley

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

I'm confused. There are two pieces up there. One just a copy with the watermark off (which IS against copyright laws) and the second a piece derieved from the original, which while dubious, is not against the law. Was the story that he was trying to pass the first one off as his own?

Zippo: He's an elf. He lives in the woods.

Nightstorm: Did you hear that Gary? "His elf lives in the woods"

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Yes.

Colorizing the art is not kosher however. The guy should have asked Peter if it was ok before he did it, but insisted on photoshopping the watermark out and tried to pass off the work as his instead.

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

well not to nit pick (though that is what the lawyers will do) it seems he's done at least some of it by hand around on the bottom. That makes it his own. NOT BY MUCH, but still I believe might hold up in court. Also what makes this more mulitfacted, is the fact that he found this piece on a website that allows anyone to take a look. If I go to a museum and render a drawing almost exactly as a dali, than while It's obvious that it's a knock off it's still my original piece.

Zippo: He's an elf. He lives in the woods.

Nightstorm: Did you hear that Gary? "His elf lives in the woods"

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I believe there have to be substantial differences, and merely modifying the "original" piece of art does not exempt it from copyright protection. He would need to redraw the entire thing by hand making his changes...I'm not sure of the minimum but it's around of over 20% if memory serves (which is no great guarantee). Coloring does not count towards the modification if it is merely coloration of the "original" piece.

The guy violated a copyright, plain and simple. He got busted righteously. Considering what could happen to him, I think he's getting off rather lightly at this point, no word to the contrary.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

nightstorm wrote:
well not to nit pick (though that is what the lawyers will do) it seems he's done at least some of it by hand around on the bottom. That makes it his own. NOT BY MUCH, but still I believe might hold up in court. Also what makes this more mulitfacted, is the fact that he found this piece on a website that allows anyone to take a look. If I go to a museum and render a drawing almost exactly as a dali, than while It's obvious that it's a knock off it's still my original piece.

Belial didn't "render" squat. He took Peter's original illustration and Photoshopped the watermarks out and then went on to color it. Then he goes on trying to convince people at that site that "it was drawn by hand and the actual drawing took a few days to do, while the coloring took around 3 hours." All of which is a big fat lie except the coloring part.

If somebody takes one of my b&w pieces and colors it, it doesn't all of sudden become their art. It's still mine...they just colored MY art. And what difference does it make whether the art is on a site that allows anyone to look at it? Tons of well known artists have their works up at various sites that everybody can look at, doesn't mean I have the right to go to a Frazetta piece that's online, Photoshop out his signature along with any watermarks he might have on the image and dub it one of my own.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

So how do folks who do this kind of thing sleep at night?

I know a wake up at night sometimes, realizing that the woman in the white car did have the right-of-way at that stop sign. But I'm sensitive, I guess.

John Adams

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

nightstorm wrote:

The biggest part of the problem is he didn't give Peter credit. Even when you do your own version of something, you still have to give credit to the original work. This guy claimed it completely as his own.

If he had said something like, "Original work done by Peter Bradley" he may be OK, if he then explained what he did and how he did it on top of giving credit to Peter, he would have been OK.

However he didn't, he claimed it all as his own. That is illegal.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Schweinhund! THIEVING MR BRADLEY'S WORK!!!!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Get out the tar and feathers! It a shame that people in this world try to pass off some one else's work as their own, and its a down right stupid thing to do, especially with all ways now days to verify various works.

Plagiarizing is plagiarizing, if you don't quote or acknowledge the source, its wrong.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

It would have been more interesting had he taken a photograph...