My single greatest used gaming haul EVER!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

My single greatest used gaming haul EVER!

Post by Lord Dynel »

It brought a tear to my eye. I could hardly contain myself. Let me back up...

I found a listing on craigslist of an antique store that got in a collection of D&D books, accessories, etc. It's a two-hour drive from my house, so I definitely wanted to call. I called and left a message and the lady called me back. She told me various items, one being "a rules encyclopedia." Then she told me the price per book. I figured that it might be worth the trip. I didn't realize how worth it it would end up being:

D&D Basic Game, Rules Cyclopedia, Core Rules 2.0 and Expansion (packaged as one), DM Screen and Index, Bastion of Faith, College of Wizardry, The Sea Devils, The Illthiad, and I, Tyrant were considered 9 individual items.

The Gazetteers? They were in a binder (note the page holders they're in). It was sold as one lot.

The Grand Total?

What a glorious day! :D

As a side note, there were two lows to the sale - The Five Shires didn't have its map, and Dawn of the Emperors (the books in the lower right of the first pic) didn't have a box. I can live with those. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Re: My single greatest used gaming haul EVER!

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Congratulations! Look at all those rules you can break and statistics you can ignore! :geek:
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Score!

Volomyre
Ungern

Post by Volomyre »

Nice!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wow. That is sweet. Those GAZs are so totally worth the price of admission!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

You lucky bastard!
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

As a fellow Floridian, I'm curious, where did you go to get this?
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Ieuane
Ungern

Post by Ieuane »

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s awesome used game haul.
Sweet. I scored some rare MERP stuff one time.

Are you going to keep it, sell it, scan it?

It's bizarre how much used gaming stuff can go for - the Elves of Golarion on Amazon is going for over 10k new.
Probably an error. Maybe for a vintage Gibson, but 32 pages on elves?!?! Some 3.5 stuff is steadily on the rise.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

DeadReborn wrote:As a fellow Floridian, I'm curious, where did you go to get this?
I got it an antique store in Vero Beach, Dead. It's over on the other coast from you, north of Port St. Lucie and Fort Pierce. Apparently the haul came in and they had it posted on craigslist for a couple weeks. I'll let you in on a little secret...there's some still there. It might not be enough to be worth the ride across the state, though. :P

Ieuane, I plan on keeping them. There's a couple of GAZ's that are duplicate, and I'll probably sell those off. Everything else (except the Dawn of the Emperor stuff) is new to my shelf and will have a home. And Elves of Golarion? Those stupid prices are a result of the bots they use to pricve match each other. As soon as one person comes in with a nutty price (probably on purpose, to mess teh bots up), then all the other retailers adjust their price. It's too funny. But heck, I'll let my copy of EoG go for $500, which is a steal compared to those prices. :D
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Yeah, that's a little too far to make it worth it. Besides, I've been spending far too much on my newest hobby, Magic the Gathering. I swear, WOTC must dust those cards with narcotics before they package them.

Anyways, real nice find. :)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

DeadReborn wrote:Yeah, that's a little too far to make it worth it. Besides, I've been spending far too much on my newest hobby, Magic the Gathering. I swear, WOTC must dust those cards with narcotics before they package them.

Anyways, real nice find. :)
Thanks, sir!

Ah, good ol' MtG. Played it from '94 or so till '97 (from the end of Antiquities through Weatherlight, and just after the release of Tempest). Came back in '06 for the Time Spiral block, left right after it and then one last time in '09 for Zendikar. Played through it and quit again...for good this time, I believe...right after Mirrodin Besieged. The playing environment round where I live is too clique-ish and the social skills of some of these people are rough, even for Magic players. When I got into it, back in 1994, it was a lot of D&D/TTRPG players getting into something new, so the play atomsphere of D&D kind of carried into Magic. Not so anymore. But I digress. If you're having fun, that's what matters, sir! All my disposable income goes to PnP RPGs, and I don't see that changing for a while. ;)

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Wow! And here I sit at the north end of Martin County, a stone's throw from port saint crappy (lucie). Guess never looking at craig anything before didn't help my cause.

Now to cry myself back to sleep.

-Scott

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Just...wow. You're a fortunate man.

Most of those gazetteers runs from 25 to 50 dollars...each. An RC in good condition, $80 to $160. You have definitely scored on this haul. Congratulations!
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

studio3six wrote:Wow! And here I sit at the north end of Martin County, a stone's throw from port saint crappy (lucie). Guess never looking at craig anything before didn't help my cause.

Now to cry myself back to sleep.

-Scott
Yes, sir, you're probably less than an hour away from the store. If it makes you feel any better, I hadn't looked on craigslist in a couple months, and the ad was about 2 weeks old when I saw it.

redwullf wrote:Just...wow. You're a fortunate man.

Most of those gazetteers runs from 25 to 50 dollars...each. An RC in good condition, $80 to $160. You have definitely scored on this haul. Congratulations!
Thank you, sir! Yes, those gazetteers are quite pricey, one thing that had prevented me from purchasing them in the past. And that Rules Cyclopedia? The best conditioned one I've ever seen. It's only flaw was the guy wrote his name in it, then marked it out with black marker. I can live with that. :)

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

I love finding someone elses name in a book. its a little prize.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

Not a collection I'd be interested in, but that's a nice score.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Now LD, you only need like, 19 more RCs to catch up with Omote. :)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Dead Horse wrote:I love finding someone elses name in a book. its a little prize.
Indeed! In the past, when I found books with names and addresses stamped in them, I've actually gone to the length of dropping a note in the mail saying "Hey, I just want you to know that I bought your [name of book here] and it's got a nice, new home on my game shelf" or something to that effect. I think that's a nice thing to do. :)
Just Jeff wrote:Not a collection I'd be interested in, but that's a nice score.
Yeah, back in 1988, shortly after the Gazetteers first came out, I started collecting them. I only got one in (GAZ1) when I switched to AD&D. I was so one-tracked then that I stopped collecting them because I was wearing the "big by pants" and collecting 1e. Well, that and I didn't have much in the way of money so I really couldn't afford both lines (I was 14 in '88, and money was at a premium :)).

Since I can afford more now, I buy whatever I want when it comes to gaming...within reason, of course. I've been trying to pick these up for a while, but couldn't justify the price. Honestly, they're not first in my gaming priority but for the price, they were too good to pass up (they were less than $2 a piece). Now, if I ever want to start using them, I don't have to worry about scrambling to find them...or use pdfs, which I hate. :)
DeadReborn wrote:Now LD, you only need like, 19 more RCs to catch up with Omote. :)
:lol: Yeah, he's such a rascal! :D

I wouldn't mind having 6 - enough for everyone at my table. That way there wouldn't be any excuses not to run a BECMI mini-arc. ;)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That is the kind of find that keeps some people awake all night.

There are many single items that could be resold for much more than you paid for the entirety.

Good eye, and better die rolling, although you might want to visit Vegas soon. Before it wears off.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

That made me tear up a little LD.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

DangerDwarf wrote:That made me tear up a little LD.
Hey, you crazy dwarf! Long time no see! Hangin' around for a while?

And yeah, when I saw that binder of GAZ's, my knees went a little weak. :D

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Yeah, should be around for awhile. Things got a little crazy out this way and gaming went completely out the window. Back to where I can throw the dice again and have a group of folk who want to try some classic gaming goodness so I'm gearing of for some crusading.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

DangerDwarf wrote:Yeah, should be around for awhile. Things got a little crazy out this way and gaming went completely out the window. Back to where I can throw the dice again and have a group of folk who want to try some classic gaming goodness so I'm gearing of for some crusading.
Well, it's damn good to have you back, hoss!