Of Gods and Monsters - Softcover only?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Squirly1
Henchman

Of Gods and Monsters - Softcover only?

Post by Squirly1 »

Hi all,
I was looking at the TLG store, and noticed that Of Gods and Monsters is only offered in soft cover. Are the hard covers just out of stock, or is this something that is no longer being printed? A quick check found a couple of hard covers at Paizo, but I'd rather buy straight from TLG for their games if possible.

On another note, I'm just getting into C&C, and have been able to convince one of my players to give it a go (only 4 more to go). I thought I had seen (long ago) TLG offer 3 (or 4) players handbooks for sale in a bundle for new groups of players. Was that a one in life time thing, or has that happened now and then?

Thanks for any input you may have.

squirly1

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: Of Gods and Monsters - Softcover only?

Post by Lord Dynel »

I don't know if that's still offered. You might, and this might be a stretch, be able to get a hold of Steve - troll (at) trolllord (dot) com - and ask him kindly if a discount would be available for multiple PHBs. I am in no way affiliated with TLG, and I might be overestimating Steve's kindness. :P But he's a good guy and if he can do something, I'm sure he will.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The multiple PHBs deal seems to be offered around December from time to time, and only usually for 12 days or so (12 Days of Christmas). I think the discount only amounted to $5 off per PHB if you bought 4 or 5 of them. Not sure of that is worth the wait or not. The hardcover Of Gods & Monsters did exist just recently as I got one a few months ago. I would say that they are probably out of stock.

Cheers and welcome to the Crusade Squirly.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Squirly1
Henchman

Post by Squirly1 »

Thanks for the info. December is too far off - hoping to have a game running in the next 2 months. :)

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

March Madness had PHBs for 1/2 price. I snatched up a couple more, bringing my table's total to 4. Just have to keep your eyes peeled for the deals. In regard to the HC OGaM, only the Trolls can answer that one.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I defer to the Trolls, but it may be out of print for the moment. I had 4 softcovers from previous conventions that I sold at GaryCon. I would imagine that the hardcover versions will be printed at Walsworth in Missouri. I've heard no specifics about timetables for og&m or M&T of A hardcovers being replenished. Classic Monsters is the latest book in the hands of Walsworth, and I would imagine Codex of Aihrde won't be too far behind. Then again, I'm just an occasional Troll sales booth lackey, and am merely speculating. Stephen? :-)

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

We are outsourcing this book. The US Print market has become highly competitive with prices from China. Which brings their numbers down and about equal to where we were last year in our own print facility. So, as creating hardback books is very time consuming its better for us to oursource these print jobs. So Gods and MTofA have been put on the fast track to printing at walsworth. They were both scheduled to go this month but we delayed it because it looks as if the PH 5th printing is going to be arriving there first.

We are mulling over a kickstarter approach to these two books, but seeing as how most everyone has them, we are reluctant.

Steve

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Troll Lord wrote:They were both scheduled to go this month but we delayed it because it looks as if the PH 5th printing is going to be arriving there first.
:shock:
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

5th print. 5th print. 5th print /chant.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'll join the 5th print chant, as replenishing of the phb is needed. Any word on the talk of a new, larger cover, and new logo(as discussed on the forums awhile back)? It seems like there was a call for folks to send in any errata or needed clarifications. Hopefully, somebody sent TLG a note about the problem with spell resistance. I'm going to have a look, but did I ever hear that there might be issues with the grapple rule as laid out in the book? That one may be a figment of my imagination. Anyway...phb's are a top priority, given the upcoming convention season. A fifth printing well before some other companies fifth edition. :-)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

tylermo wrote:I'll join the 5th print chant, as replenishing of the phb is needed. Any word on the talk of a new, larger cover, and new logo(as discussed on the forums awhile back)? It seems like there was a call for folks to send in any errata or needed clarifications. Hopefully, somebody sent TLG a note about the problem with spell resistance. I'm going to have a look, but did I ever hear that there might be issues with the grapple rule as laid out in the book? That one may be a figment of my imagination. Anyway...phb's are a top priority, given the upcoming convention season. A fifth printing well before some other companies fifth edition. :-)
Problems with spell resistance? I wouldn't call it a problem, per se, more of a clarification of what SR 0 and SR 1 means. I know what you mean, though. :)

As far as grappling goes, I don't know. I never heard of any problems with it, and I don't perceive one in the PHB. It's been a while since I looked at it, though, so maybe I missed something. ;)

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

That's what it was regarding spell resistance. I wonder if that warrants a slight change in the text to clarify or not? As for grapple, I think I'm mistaken. I do recall mention of monster experience examples being a bit off in M&T. Then again, that may have been corrected. Besides, M&T isn't nearly out of print yet. Or, not as close as the phb.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

tylermo wrote:I'll join the 5th print chant, as replenishing of the phb is needed. Any word on the talk of a new, larger cover, and new logo(as discussed on the forums awhile back)? It seems like there was a call for folks to send in any errata or needed clarifications. Hopefully, somebody sent TLG a note about the problem with spell resistance. I'm going to have a look, but did I ever hear that there might be issues with the grapple rule as laid out in the book? That one may be a figment of my imagination. Anyway...phb's are a top priority, given the upcoming convention season. A fifth printing well before some other companies fifth edition. :-)
I'll double check with Mr. Bradley on the spell resistance. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I take no credit for the heads up on spell resistance. Other "real" C&C gurus discussed this topic in recent months. I'm just a parrot.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

For what it's worth, I think this could be a good opportunity to revise OG&M.

I like the book but consider this:

1) Given that there are a number of 'key' gods and goddesses missing from the various pantheons, this could be a good way to add these in. If Mr. Ward can do this, then great -- if not, someone equally capable that would do him proud. While it's a great selection and I know there were concerns with page count and limitations per pantheon, if we just consider the Greek Pantheon, I find it odd to drop two deities which were considered part of the 12 Olympians (Hera and Demeter were not just footnotes in Greek Mythology).

2) If there is a problem with page count and wanting to keep it within a certain price point, the Airhde section could possibly get axed. Don't get me wrong, I love them and use them in my campaign. However, I do recall the idea of doing a book specifically on this mythos having been mentioned more than once before. Additionally, the new Codex is being worked on which gives a couple possible locations to dump these.

I would love to have a copy of this in hardback and would support a Walsworth hardback printing. The same actually goes for the M&ToA book. I only have these in softback currently. I'd happily pledge towards a kickstarter especially if it meant a Revised version of the OG&M with the additional content and would have no problem in paying more for the opportunity.

M

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm fairly certain I heard something about possible M&T of A restock in May. Stephen "may" have mentioned it on the forums, or on Facebook.